Thinking about working in Gibraltar (I'm from Spain)

Hello, I'll apreciate any help in this topic:

I'm from Spain (Jerez), 33yrs old, male, and graduate in a bachelor in computer science with 8 years of experiencie as analyst and developer web (Java, .NET, and PHP).

I lose recentrly my job in Cadiz, and I cannot find a new one near my house. So I'm thinking about going abroad for a job, and Gibraltar is the nearest foreign country that I have.

I've talked with a IT recruiting office, and they said to me that I have got posibilities of taking a  job of around 30k GBP of gross salary at year.

But I don't know the social politic in Gibraltar (the net salary in Euros of 30k GBP, or if I will have to pay taxes in Spain, and I'd like to know to how to calculate the pension that I will get when I retire in 30 years (taking into account that I will live in La Linea and go into Gibraltar just for working).

I'd like to know too if I'd be (being from Spain) welcome in Gibraltar, and also whatever positive or negative you may know about a spanish going to Gibraltar for getting a job.

Thank you very much for the help.

Best regards,
Samuel.

Hi Samuel!

Welcome to Expat.com!

Armand

Hi Samuel,

If you work in gib you'll be registered in Gibraltar tax system and pay taxes in Gib. I suppose the same applies to pension. People say that you need to pay the tax difference in Spain as well but I don't do anyone who does so. There is no double taxation between Gib and Spain. The thing is that if you go in Spanish tax office they likely wouldn't be able to tell you should you pay anything or not. The amount cold be 0 or so small so they just don't care.

Social insurance payments will go to Spain as far as I know. So you'll be covered both in Gib and Spain in terms of medicine at least.

I don't think you may have any problem because you are Spanish. Depending on your skills you may get 30-35k GBP.

Thank you for your help, sunnybay!! :)

Hi there

I live right on the boarder of Spain/Gibraltar and I honestly couldnt count the amount of commuters morning and evening that cross the boarder for work.  Although Gib is English speaking, many do still Spanish too so your multi-lingual skills there would be advantagous.

Computer gurus are always wanted from what I see.  Not my thing but the agency that got me employed (basic Admin) seem to always have loads of computer sort of jobs with lots of initials!  Java, PHP etc, its all 'dutch' to me!

So you could look on their website, they are RecruitGibraltar.  I registered and then went into to see them.  They work just off Main Street and the guys are really nice and completely honest.  I was told from the outset, the sort of job I required would be very difficult to achieve however, they sent me through several jobs over the next couple of months and hey presto, I am working!

You could do worse than giving them a try.  They also helped me register for tax and stuff as I had no idea.  I am only here cause my husband works!

Good Luck!