Cost of Living in KL

Hello ,

I have got a job offer in KL of 6400 RM per Month Inclusive of all. Am a IT professional of 7+ years of Experience.

Am from India and Planning to relocate to Malaysia. Would like to know the salary provided is sufficient and enough to survive in KL.

Initially i will be coming and later after 3 months il bring my wife. Please let me know what would be the average furnished house rent and about the commute charge on monthly basis and also average expense of food monthly for two members.

Max how much i can save out of 6400 RM

Thanks in advance.

Hello Bharathiraja S.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Do not hesitate to read the other threads on Cost of living in Kuala Lumpur.

Thank you,
Aurélie

buddy, dont take the offer. 6400 too little for malaysia. 400 will go in tax. 1500-2000 for house. 1000 for groceries. 400-450 for elec water cable tv internet. 500 for entertainment and another 500-800 for misc expenses. u figure! i think a minimum of 8000 is needed to have a decent lifestyle in kl.

Thanks Buddy for your valuable comment. I Will revisit and check whether i can get revised on the salary part.

my name is ashfaq i am from india Hyderabad and i am .NET developer i want to come to malaysia what will be the visa cost and i have 2 years exp in .NET would i get the job in malaysia. and how can i get the room for stay i dont knw any one. please share you opnions

hi ashfaq, as a fellow indian, may i ask what is the craze about coming to malaysia? i am very curious.

to comment on your post, it is quite difficult to get a job in malaysia for expats. the best way is to get offered a job in india to move here. there is a market here for software developers but be prepared to accept whatever comes your way. good luck!

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum]

carlyle1979 wrote:

hi ashfaq, as a fellow indian, may i ask what is the craze about coming to malaysia? i am very curious.

to comment on your post, it is quite difficult to get a job in malaysia for expats. the best way is to get offered a job in india to move here. there is a market here for software developers but be prepared to accept whatever comes your way. good luck!

Hi Carlyle1979. I have read your posts in other threads and its quite informative and hope so it has been helpful to others. But what you are asking here might be personal for ashfaq. He may or may not share the reason in the forum. No offence. Its just that I thought it might not be appropriate to ask the question in the forum. You can always PM him and get to know the reason. And again your posts are of great help. I hope we meet up once I move to KL as well.

Thanks SSB for raising a valid point. It's really up to Ashfaq if he wants to put a response on the public blog, or send me a private message, or even answer my question at all. The way I saw it was that it would be beneficial to people on this blog who were considering moving to malaysia (like yourself). After all, it's all about sharing info ;-)

Hello Bharathiraja S,

I am Joyce and I am a Malaysian. I am in Ipoh (about 200kms away from KL) but I used to work in KL.

Your job offer is for RM 6400 a month and you also said its inclusive of all. What does the 'inclusive of all' mean? As for accommodation, you can search them in the 'housing' segment of this expat-blog or many other websites inclusive of some of the property websites meant for expats in Malaysia. If your accommodation is in walking distance to the place of work, then commuting charges to work is null. Or you might just want to place yourself nearer to some LRT stations that can minimize your commuting charges. Most of these info, you can find through your search online.

As for living expenses, it pretty much depends on the kind of lifestyle you are going to have. Me and my husband (5 years back in KL) had these (on monthly basis), which I think on low budget:
a) Food - RM 800 (no fine dining)
b) Utilities - RM 300 (Water + Electricity (Air-Cond & Water Heater) + Internet + TV = Astro)
c) Mobile usage - RM 100 (Used family plan & no IDD calls made)
d) 2 small cars: Maintenance + Fuel + Toll + Installments - RM 2000
e) Accommodation: RM 600 (empty house - we furnished the house ourselves)
f) Shopping - clothing & make-up: RM 200

We lived a very simple & quiet life. We did not really have time for leisure & entertainment. It may sound dull but, we were happily involved in some charity works that filled the balance hours in our life.

Apart from the above, we had some other expenses like housing installment (under construction), insurances, savings, investment & retirement funds, which was like RM 4000 a month. I believe, you too will have some concern on saving money (not just taking care of cost of living).

I hope the above helps.

Hi Bharathiraja,

It all depends on your expectations regarding savings and how & where you want to live in KL.
First and foremost you will be taxed @ 26% flat for first 6 months till you achieve tax resident status.
Next big chunk can go to your rent depending on where you want to live. Suggest you live near public transport hub. so that you can reach anywhere without spending too much on taxis.
Public transport is good and cheap in general and taxis are costly.
Utilities & food etc are quiet cheap in Malaysia. Food  mostly depends on where & what are you eating. I had some tough time initially but now its better.

hope this helps