Health cover, reciprocal health agreement, & my non EU spouse

Hi, first off I wanted to say thank you for you all reading and responding to our questions.  I imagine you must get the same questions asked so it's appreciated by us both that members here have taken the time to reply.

My question is about health cover and the reciprocal health agreement.  As far as I can tell, I apply for that here: http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcare … broad.aspx then I need a letter too to go with my residency form.

Does anyone know if my American spouse is entitled to reciprocal health agreement through me?

If not can anyone recommend any companies that provide affordable health cover?

Are there any age restrictions on the reciprocal health agreement?

Thank you for reading.

"My question is about health cover and the reciprocal health agreement.  As far as I can tell, I apply for that here: http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcare … broad.aspx then I need a letter too to go with my residency form." - no, the RHA is applied for in Malta - you just show your UK passport at the health entitlement unit in Valletta

"Does anyone know if my American spouse is entitled to reciprocal health agreement through me?" yes she is

"Are there any age restrictions on the reciprocal health agreement?" no

RHA
https://ehealth.gov.mt/HealthPortal/chi … ltauk.aspx

That's great georgeingozo!  That's good news.  I'm glad my wife can get the same health cover as me.  Cheers! :)

bear in mind the RHA is not full cover - no entitlement to an EHIC for example

georgeingozo wrote:

Not sure why you think this as we have lived in both France and Malta and have obtained EHIC from the UK without any issues. It used to be issued by the country you were resident in but I think now it is issued by the UK.

Terry

"Not sure why you think this" because its true :-)

the RHA doesn't give you entitlement to EHIC - you may qualify for EHIC through other means however. I don't, as I'm not working and not of retirement age.

Its important to bear in mind the RHA has nothing to do with the EU - its an agreement between UK and Malta going back at least 20 years

from the link I gave above

RHA Entitlement Card holders will not be entitled for:

treatment abroad including the UK
    the European Health Insurance Card
    long-term care and other things and services provided for under the Social Security Act and other legislation.

georgeingozo wrote:

So what you really meant is that may not be full cover for some!

RHA is available in lots of EU countries not just Malta as is EHIC.

Terry

The Malta-UK RHA does not give EHIC entitlement, or full coverage, to anyone.

I'm not aware of any RHA existing between other EU countries, but there could well be others - I don't think any have them with Malta

Are you mixing up RHA with the S1 form, which allows you to transfer healthcare entitlement form one EU country to another ? That does give you full coverage to the same extent as a local, including EHIC

EU regulations since May 1 2010

Due to changes in European Union regulations, from May 1 2010 the United Kingdom may be responsible for the issue of your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) instead of the member state where you live. 

This will apply if you are a national of an EU member state and live in an EU member state, and you either:

•receive your state pension or other long-term benefit from the UK and you have registered the form E121 with the health authorities in the member state where you live; or
•you are dependent on a citizen working in the UK and have registered the form E109 issued by the UK
You will need to send your application by post. An application form, along with an explanatory letter, will be posted to you during February 2010. This application form will be different from the EHIC application form available in the UK, and will be modified to prove your entitlement to the new UK-issued EHIC card.

These cards will be sent out from April 2010 onwards. If you return your completed application form by the end of March 2010, your card should arrive before the new regulations come into force

Terry

I agree with that Terry, although E121 and E109 (and several other forms) are now replaced with S1.

The RHA is designed for UK passport holders who fall outside the healthcare net - its not for people of retirement age or who are paying social security contributions as they have entitlement to (better) cover already

I am with AXA Healthcare and the policy was quite easy to get. You can get local health insurrance which covers you in Malta etc. which price I actually dont remember.

I got the International Health Plan which covers you everywhere in the world except USA (only in Emergencies of course there) and you dont have to the problem when staying outside of Malta for more than 3 months that covers might not work. I pay roughly 2.000 EUR for my non-EU wife for a year of coverage and it is alxo accepted by the Maltese Government.

Hi BH72, I am in a similar situation that you were in regarding the RHA card, in that I am a UK citizen but my wife is not. I'm just wondering how you got on with the application? Did you do it by post and how long did it take for your cards to arrive? The helpline staff didnt seem to know when I called the entitlement unit and I'm not getting replies to my emails.

Any other info you could provide on the process ie what documentation you provided would be great!

We also need the card as we are here as "Economically Self Sufficient" and so need proof of medical coverage for ID card purposes apart from anything else, until we get all registered for taxes and NI etc here. Was the RHA card sufficient for your ID card application?

Thanks!

Hi trist101

Welcome to the forum.

As I have already replied/answered this question on an another post, I suggest you read through the earlier posts.

To cut the story short - I applied for Economic Self-Sufficiency last week and I can assure you the RHA card will be sufficient.

Just go to the Entletment Unit with your passports, marriage certificate and proof of address along with your non-EU spouse ( I am in the same boat, my spouse is non-EU).

They will give you a temporary certificate each (Covering 1 year) and present it with your application.

Thanks
SMeddie

I cant (like GNG) get an EHIC here as i hold the RHA and i cant get one from the UK either - as i dont fit the profile. FACT.

Hi SMeddie,

Thank you so much for your post, and confirmation that the RHA will be enough to apply for the ID cards under self sufficiency. Thats really good news, thanks a lot for the welcome and the quick reply too :)

georgeingozo wrote:

"My question is about health cover and the reciprocal health agreement.  As far as I can tell, I apply for that here: http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcare … broad.aspx then I need a letter too to go with my residency form." - no, the RHA is applied for in Malta - you just show your UK passport at the health entitlement unit in Valletta

"Does anyone know if my American spouse is entitled to reciprocal health agreement through me?" yes she is

"Are there any age restrictions on the reciprocal health agreement?" no

there we go jasmine

Awesome thank you!

Can anyone give the address for the RHA entitlement unit in Valletta

all info is here https://ehealth.gov.mt/HealthPortal/chi … ltauk.aspx

Hi

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but can anyone confirm that the RHA is applicable to non-British spouses?

The replies above seem to suggest this is true, but reading on the official website, it states that each person has to apply individually, with no mention of how dependants are treated?

RHA Information

Who is eligible for the Service?

UK passport holders who are ordinary residents of Malta and who are not covered for healthcare through EU Regulations.

Applying for an RHA Entitlement Card

Registration for this scheme requires that a separate application form is to be submitted for each person.

give it a go anyway  = what you got to lose..... nothing in my opinion.

Toon wrote:

give it a go anyway  = what you got to lose..... nothing in my opinion.

Nice to have you back 'Toon'

Ray

cheers Ray