Bahrain current situation

I'm a Brit (Asian origin) and planning to move to Bahrain. I've been offered a job and currently considering it. I just found out attacks on people of Asian origin. How is life now a days? If I move, I would like to live in Amwaj Islands. Are they any good? How much is the rent/ month for two bed flat?

Is there any proper mall or store in this island area?

How other expats are doing since the problems started there 2 years ago?

I look forward to your kind valuable advice.

Thanks,
Maaz

Hi and welcome to the forum, I have only been here a few weeks but will answer as many question as I can. Amwaj islands seems to be a really nice area but a bit out of the way depending what your in to. Go to Bahrainpropertyworld.com to have a look at rental prices. Not sure about shopping in that area, maybe someone else can help.
I don't think protesters are targeting Asians, it would more likely be a case of wrong place wrong time. I don't feel particularly unsafe here although I guess it depends on your own comfort levels. Two euro families are leaving our compound to return home because they don't feel safe. I must admit driving around Saar over the weekend it did look like a war zone in places but not threatening. It is really more of an inconvenience than anything else. Like anywhere there are areas of the city you avoid. Why don't you come for a look around before you decide?

Thanks Silver, really appreciate your prompt response. I guess it's a good advice to actually come here for a visit and then decide.

Cheers,
Maaz

I guess it's also useful to know whereabouts your office will be. If you can't drive, then certainly be close to your office.

I don't think the troubles in Bahrain are against any specific race. In fact, they are not attacks. They are protests against the government. Amwaj is safe. There are areas in Bahrain which could be considered as unsafe, and people say Saar is one of them, but if you know how to ignore it, you'll be fine.

A decent 2-bed flat will be around the 700-900BD mark in Amwaj. But again, check the website mentioned earlier.

Amwaj is very safe, it's close to towns like Qalali, Hidd, Arad, etc,,
you have a big open mall called the Lagoon with great places that offer food and entertainment, inside the Lagoon you can find Waitrose market too!
There is another Supermarket called Al-Osra near Amwaj entrance, and a big hypermarket named Lulu is just 5 minutes away in Hidd.
Most of the protests take place in Budaya Road, Amwaj is on the north side of Bahrain
5 – 10 minutes from the Bahrain Airport

Great - many thanks brightonguy & Muharraqi for your detailed replies. It'll certainly help me in choosing the right place.

Once again many thanks and wish you a pleasant safe life in Bahrain.

See you all soon.

Cheers,
Maaz