Costa Rica destinations

I'm still investigating Costa Rica as a potential haven after retiring.  Of the 3 locations in Costa Rica mentioned (Heredia, San Jose, and Santa Ana) could someone give me a low down on each?  In addition I imagine the weather is pretty consistent but I do understand there is a rainy season.  If someone could provide a brief overview of the weather by season I would be most appreciative.

Well, Heredia and San José are almost the same, little cities, many people, and good acces to basic requirements, good hospitals , many stores and malls, universities and theaters; Santa Ana is a Beautiful place and there is where the richest people in Costa Rica lives, it's... better, safety and you will be close to the best medical services and luxurious spas, hotels and clubs, but its a lot more expensive.
You are right, we do not have four seasons just tow: dry and rainy, each of them are like six months each but there is nothing serious like floods in you are going to live in any of those cities, the highest temperature could be 30ºC and the lowest 12ºC. Pretty good!

Santa Ana and San Jose are basically all one big metropolitan area together. Yes they are separate but they are both in the same area. Heredia is further out about 30 mins from San Jose. All the cities are not what you might called developed cities. Like lets say Panama City. The housing is very modest and there is barely if no road organization or signage. So it can be extremely confusing driving if you don't know the area.
If you are wanting to move to Costa Rica I would recommend somewhere in Guanacaste. There it's more tourist friendly which means it's safer. It also doesn't rain as much as in the mountains. You also are closer to the beaches and still have all the ecotourism you have near San Jose. And don't worry about an airport bec there is a small international airport in Liberia.
If you need anymore information please let me know. (moderated: no ads please)

All the places you mentioned are about equal in terms of rain.
San Jose' is quite busy, lots of traffic and smog, crime, and craziness. I don't know too many who want to retire there.

Heredia would be better, but then it all depends on what you like. If you like lots of things to do, places to go, people watching, then San Jose' still might be okay for you.

The rainy season in these places you mentioned is about 8-9 months long, with less rain only in our U.S. "winter" months.

If you want less rain you'll have to go to Guanacaste on the northwest coastal region.

As someone else said, one MUST visit Costa Rica for at least a month or two before moving there; it's not for everyone. Really you need to live at least a month in each place you are considering (and hopefully some better places, too, such as San Ramon!), and then decide where you want to live.

One more hint: It's all about altitude. The weather in Costa Rica is largely dependent on the altitude you live at: Low altitude = hot, higher altitude = cooler, very high altitude = can be downright cold!