Need local Cebu advise

Hello everyone,

Future expat coming to Cebu in April (gonna be HOT I"m guessing). Me and a chum of mine will be arriving around April 5th or 6th. We found some places online however I'm worried the pics look all nice, yet the hotel/place might be in a bad area, or far away from the city.

We don't mind being a little away from the city, mainly concerned with safety, room secure, privacy to enter and leave as needed, and access to the city (nightlife, food, etc.).When we stayed in Bohol last year I ended up coming back late a couple times and had to climb a fence to get in, thinking man I hope someone doesn't shoot me LOL.

Anyone have any suggestions? We were going to just go there and book a hotel after arriving. Bad Idea?

Thanks guys/gals,

Expatfever

Have just been to Cebu City and since i did not have much budget i stayed at Cebu Guesthouse on Mango Ave.Opposite is Mango Park Hotel,which looked pricey.Most of the night life is on same road and very,very near.Fooda a supermarket is also near and on same road.I used to walk to Ayala Mall,takes 10 mins to get there.From airport to Mango Ave is approx 220 peso,but depends on traffic.Use the white in colour taxi and not the yellow one,as that has a higher flag down fee.I also used jeepney from airport,but change 3 times.Hope you like it there!And yes it was hot,too hot for me.Think it a bad idea to just arrive without booking.

Thanks DK!!! I also heard years ago that some people have gotten off at the airport and jumped in a taxi only to be driven out into the jungle and either had all there stuff taken from them or worse. Have you ever heard these stories? Or are these just wives tales? I noticed my wife had all kinds of wives tales when I first met her. Luckiy I was able to convince her that many of them are just that.

LOL I remember when I first was dating her she was screaming at me cause I was hot one day after working out or something so I stood in front of the fan to cool off, "OMG don't stand in front of a fan when your sweaty!!!!" What do you mean? "When I was in school a classmate stood in front of a fan after exercising then she passed out and died later from the fan." ???????????????? I was like I think she probably had some kind of other condition and the fan probably wasn't the cause of her dying. Anyways I still think it's funny to this day LOL.

Yes also heard of such stories.They suggest you take note of the taxi,but how will that help if dropped off.Best to not arrive at night.I did walk around a lot and met a man from Ireland who also walked too much and neither of us had problems.However you still need to be careful.Dont carry much about and leave your watch etc off.

I was thinking about wearing my Ben Franklin shirt with hundred dollar bills all over it, and a bright red ball cap, with gold chains all around my neck. That's good traveling attire right?  :lol:

I dress crappy even here in the states luckily so I have that going for me at least. I'm actually growing my hair out right now to look as shabby as possible before I go since I draw waaaay to much attention just looking like me to begin with. Sadly I will have to leave my cowboy hat here in the states even though I feel like I'm not complete without it :( .

You say you have heard the same stories. By any chance has anyone ever seen these posted in a newspaper or on TV? Just trying to see if this is a common practice there. When we landed in Bohol the resort driver picked us up at the airport and took us wherever we wanted to go. So we didn't have to worry about such things.

hi i hope you keep in contact with me as i would like to visit Bohol again,but could you informatiom from someone living there.Sometime next year i should be there,i also have good friends in Visayas and Mindanao,if you need any help at all,hope maybe we can meet there if your stay will be a long one,good luck and enjoy it there,you must go to Panglao white sand beach there.Peace.

borilove wrote:

hi i hope you keep in contact with me as i would like to visit Bohol again,but could you informatiom from someone living there.Sometime next year i should be there,i also have good friends in Visayas and Mindanao,if you need any help at all,hope maybe we can meet there if your stay will be a long one,good luck and enjoy it there,you must go to Panglao white sand beach there.Peace.

Awesome thanks a lot for the info on the beach. I"ll definitely go check it out. Bohol was beautiful last time I went, could imagine spending my end days there. If anyone has any more places to go in Cebu I would greatly appreciate the info.

You have the right attitude,the simler the better,blending with the people is the best way,as long as you have a trustworthy person,explore the area the check out your best options,then just go for it.Good luck.

Thanks Borilove,

Coming soon to Cebu would you guys recommend me booking a hotel here in the states over there or just walking in and booking one there?

Still unsure what hotels would be safe and reasonably priced over there.

Thanks in advance everyone.

I liked Vacation hotel last time but couyld not get room online or otherwise because of season . Book online first to see what is available . Do not want to walk around in heat looking ... too frustrating . My first trip there , I went to Castle Peak . It is a little bit far from everything but reasonable and very nice . Only a dollar ride to the mall though , by taxi . I went to Bohol last year and found lovely place there and can give you plenty of suggestions so you do not make mistakes I made . Good luck ! Kurt