French speaking jobs : why is it so hard ?

Hello everybody,

I am a french woman living in London since 5 months. I am not fluent in english ( intermediate level ) , that's why I try to find a job as French Speaking Customer Advisor, or all job using french as primary language.

Since october 2012, I have applied for 100 jobs mainly in this area, and I've had...3 interviews only :(!

I have rectified my CV, but nothing...It is because of my (poor )english !? It is because there is lot of competition ?

If anyone have precious experience, suggestions or advises to share, please let me know !

Thank you in advance !

Hi sandyessex!

Welcome to Expat.com!

Armand

Hi Armand ! Thank you !

Hello Sandy!
How are you...
..do you still without work?..
luisa

Hello Luisa !

I'me fine thank you ! Are you a new expat' in London ?
Hum...no I don't found a job yet...but I stay optimistic !

Hello Sandy,

There are jobs that do require French speakers often times they are as translators but as you may have guessed your English has to be fluent in order to be able to translate from one to the other and vice versa. That said I know of a job role that requires a native French speaker but it is not in the UK and it pays very well. I would need to know your background and if you have worked as a tutor / primary school teacher. You are welcome to inbox me with the details if you so wish.

Kind regards.

Welcome to the Forum Sandy :)

Finding a job in the UK is getting more difficult now that the crisis is settling in, that's a fact, but you must persevere in your search and remain confident that you will find a job.

I imagine that looking for a French speaking job in the UK limits your options, but there is nevertheless a huge French Expats Community in London that may be able to help you ;)

Improving your knowledge of English will obviously increase your chances to find a job so please do work on it by speaking more English than French, and listen to radio and TV to get used to the language and you will soon become a natural...

Best of luck to you !

Karim:)

Hello Karim !

Thank you for your answer. Yes with the crisis it's really hard, I am discussing with other jobseekers ( from all nationalities ), and they told me even if they have an excellent background, they can't find a job either...

But like you said, it's essential to stay optimistic and to persevere !

When you are a jobseeker, unfortunately you don't really have the opportunity to meet lot of people and so to speak in english, but I read and write in english, and I watch TV every day with subtitles.

Thank you for your advices !

Sandy

Hey,

I am French myself and it is true, it is very hard and tough out there but try to apply to jobs that does not require to speak French it will wider your chances.

I think since the financial crash it is hard for EVERYONE...so keep trying your turn will come.

Take care then

Hi Sandy,

Are you still looking for French speaking jobs?

Have you got any experience in IT?

Kind regards,
Shineka

Hi Shineka,

This thread is inactive since 2013, i suggest you participate on more recent threads of the London forum and if you have a job offer, please drop an advert in the jobs section.

All the best,
Bhavna

[Thread Closed]

Closed