Cirebon?

hi. is anyone here living in cirebon? can you tell me what life's like there, compared to jakarta maybe? thank you. =) oh, and i've heard that the cost of living there is lower than jakarta. any info on how much lower? thanks again. =)

i don't think that there will be much difference in cost of living. since in most city they got almost the same price for everything.
but still i haven't been there.

riyan23 wrote:

i don't think that there will be much difference in cost of living. since in most city they got almost the same price for everything.

One off on that one.
I considered renting a house in Yogyakrta a few years ago.
I could get a small place for less than four million or a much bigger place for eight million.
At that time, the same in Jakarta would have been at least double.

5 years ago, to buy a chicken in Wonosobo would set you back 20,000, try that in Jakarta.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cirebonhttp://bridgetisaddictedtojava.wordpres … cirebon-2/

Hope it helps a bit

mas fred wrote:
riyan23 wrote:

One off on that one.
I considered renting a house in Yogyakrta a few years ago.
I could get a small place for less than four million or a much bigger place for eight million.
At that time, the same in Jakarta would have been at least double.

5 years ago, to buy a chicken in Wonosobo would set you back 20,000, try that in Jakarta.

i agree for the housing ( i forgot about this. sorry  :) ), it depends on the area you're living, it's more expensive in big city but, you could get a pretty cheap house in jakarta, but don't expect to live near the facilities.
in any other aspect ( food, transportation, water & electricity, labor, school, etc) i still don't think that there'll be much difference. btw, i just bought a whole chicken in jakarta and it cost me 28.000.

regards

thanks everyone for your replies. =) checked the links you sent, sophie. appreciate it. any idea what a decent salary would be like for a primary school teacher there? i'm a filipino so i don't expect to make as much as native english speakers do, of course. my salary now won't even let me afford the 8 million house you could get in yogyakarta back then, mas fred. unfortunately. =( anyway, i was told the expenses would be so much lower so i figured it's why the salary's quite small too. but i need to confirm this before accepting anything. thanks for all the info guys.

khailsabella wrote:

thanks everyone for your replies. =) checked the links you sent, sophie. appreciate it. any idea what a decent salary would be like for a primary school teacher there? i'm a filipino so i don't expect to make as much as native english speakers do, of course. my salary now won't even let me afford the 8 million house you could get in yogyakarta back then, mas fred. unfortunately. =( anyway, i was told the expenses would be so much lower so i figured it's why the salary's quite small too. but i need to confirm this before accepting anything. thanks for all the info guys.

For foreigner teachers, the salary range is 7 to 20 mio IDR or even higher. It all depends on your background and the school you're working for.
Usually your accomodation and transportation is taken care of. You should make sure of that.

However, food is quite cheap there. If you're not a picky eater.
From my opinion, you wouldnt spend as much money as if you live in Jakarta. Read the second link I sent you, this girl lives in Cirebon as an exchange student and she has quite a lot informations about the city :-)

Just make sure you check with your employer about the benefit you'd get. If you think that its not worth it, then you should refused and find another.
But if you're up for the cultural experience, then don't think twice and pack your suitcase :-)

Annie

thanks so much for taking the time to reply again, sophie. will definitely keep your advice in mind. =) take care.