Background check and visa question

Hello all!  I've been offered a job in Vietnam and will be relocating from the US. Almost 10 years ago I was charged with a misdemeanor theft charge that remains on my record.  I was not convicted, but the charge appears on my FBI background check in the US. Will this prevent my employer from obtaining a visa for me to work legally in Vietnam?  Please advise!  Thanks.

I am not sure, if it will be filed on paper in the US. If, than consider it as serious hurdle, like you already suspect. Whilst Vietnam is foreigners handling "quite easy", meaning, if you do something wrong, a common punishment is done "via the" visa/residence.
I would check in the US, if and how it is mentioned.

skatesynchro That might raise some red flags, convicted or not if it shows on the background check. In less your employer specifically requested a FBI check what I would do is get a State (PA) background check that goes back 6 or 8 years. They'll accept either a federal or state background check here as long as it not more than 6 months old when submitted to them.

It all depends on the person who goes to get the visa for you.  If he/she is schrewd enough, you will get what you want.  I have seen people with worst stuffs on the records get in.  So, I would focus more on identifying such a person or agent, if I were you.

True enough Howie, he could do a cakewalk on the visa if he was here and didn't have to play with the work permit. The problem is that he's back in the States and needs paperwork for both. His employer appears will do the leg work but skatesynchro needs to send it to him. Don't think he wants to do that with a note attached saying "oh by the way Boss make sure you get somebody that's slick to process the paperwork because I have a misdemeanor theft charge on my background check" not the best way to start a new job don't you think. That's why I suggested getting a 6 year background check from the State (PA) he lives in Vs the FBI one.

When I got my background check I just went down to my local police station and told them I needed a criminal background check going back 6 years. They just gave me a print out that said I had no tickets or out standing warrants. That was good enough for Vietnamese government.

VT that's what I've been telling everybody that asks. Don't give the VN gov folks a FBI background check, a local from your State is all that's needed. People keep doing it and before long that's all they will accept. Happened in Korea in 2011.

Most of the time the Vietnamese clerks don't know what they are looking at anyway.