Funny Stories about Life in Abu Dhabi...

Here are some funny stories from Abu Dhabi residents and visitors...have similar incidents occured with you? Do share..lets see what you have to say!

Story 1:I wanted this year's National Day celebration party to be the best my family and friends had ever seen. So I went all out on my budget and booked a fancy fast food place to accommodate all 50 relatives and close pals. Little did I know that another lady wanted to book the restaurant on the same date and time. After making countless annoying attempts at convincing me to shift my party to another venue, she did the most underhanded thing. She contacted the management of the restaurant over the phone, pretended to be me and cancelled the order. I was appalled at the carelessness of the management. They should have contacted me on the number which I had submitted at the time of the booking. Instead, they cancelled my booking based on a phone call from some imposter and caused me a great embarrassment when I had to cancel my plans due to unavailability of other venues at such short notice. If you ask me, that's just unfair and unprofessional.
Wafa J.

Story 2: I went to one of the stores on the top floor of Marina Mall and they had a sale; really good savings, too (up to 60%).  I picked up a pair of pants and went to the cash register where an Italian tourist (she wanted to pay in dollars, that's how I knew) looked quite distraught. She had picked up an embroidered blouse and it had a tag of Dh 129 as the original price and Dh 99 as the new price. But the cashier told her that there had been a mistake, the product had been mislabeled and the price was actually Dh 149. The lady finally bought the blouse at Dh 149 but was clearly unhappy about it. She left the store, and I bumped into her outside in the atrium where she was muttering to herself. She argued that the store had to uphold the cost on the label, and got up saying she would go back and talk to the store manager.  I felt sorry for her but not sorry enough to agree with her decision. I thought perhaps if she felt strongly enough about it, that she should just return the item and get a refund. A. Summer

Story 3: I wanted to buy one of the new mini laptops and went to the biggest computer shop in one of the malls in Abu Dhabi.  There was quite a choice, among the snazzy pocket sized mini-computer by Vaio (the one that sticks in your back pocket—or so the advertisement says), then there were similar products from LG, Dell, Samsung etc. I liked the one from Dell because it was less expensive and (I admit) I loved the bright red color.  The salesman was bent on selling me the LG because it came bundled with an external drive and a carrying back. I explained to the salesperson that the cost of the Dell, an external drive and a bag was still better value, but he was clearly not convinced.  He told me that the Dell computer didn't come with a back up CD (it was in the computer itself), and this I later found out to be untrue. Anyhow he capitulated and gave me what I asked for but I was taken aback by what seemed like blatant bias that did not address the customer's need, but clearly served the salesperson's commission from the specific brand.   I wonder if anyone has had a similar experience. M. Amer.