Moving To Israel

Will my son and I fit into the lifestyle.  We don't speak any Hebrew.  My husband is from Israel.  For him it will no problem to adjust.  He has a very large beautiful family all over Israel that want us to come.
Help - what do we do???
I am 58, my husband is 55 and my son is 13 1/2.

I am interested in moving to Israel and am a qualified care worker in the drug rehabilitation field and would like information on whether there is work in Israel in this field, and i would also like information on the cost of living and accommodation availability

It will be very easy for you to move to Israel. You and your son will get in easily, since you are family, as long as you can prove it and haven't been to any countries associated with Islamic terrorism, etc. There is a lot of paperwork you have to get; ask me if you don't have any idea about the paperwork, because I moved here for my bf. Similar circumstance, except it's easier for you. ;)

You and your son should immediately enroll in an Ulpan (course designed for people to quickly learn Hebrew). Ulpan Gordon is the one all my foreign friends recommend; I myself have not been yet, and wish I had before I found my English-speaking job. I tried learning from family, and it didn't really work, so now I'm actively looking for a class for myself before I have to go back to the Ministry of Interior to renew my visa this Summer. :-s

Anyway, I don't know about school and so on here, but as far as the immersion process is concerned, I think you probably have it as easy as possible without actually being Jewish.

If you are Jewish, there are steps to go through called Aliyah, or "Return to the Country" (I think the translation is something like that, and in any case, that's what it means). Additionally, Jews get free Ulpan.

If you and your son do happen to be Jewish, consider sending your son on a "Birthright" trip to Israel first. I know that non-Jews with Jewish mothers have gone on the Birthright trip; I don't know if it would apply to a Jewish father, due to the Jewish hierarchy system. The trip, in any case, is designed to introduce Israel to high school aged students (I don't know the age requirements specifically). They essentially see the entire country in two weeks. It looks like a lot of fun; I wish I could have gone on one. ;)

Anyway, Google "Birthright Israel" for your son to see if he is eligible, and contact the closest Israeli Embassy to see abut the forms for emigrating as being married to an Israeli.

I hope I helped!!!!

Sorry, BurtlovesIsrael; I'm afraid I don't have info for you. :( However, Israel has pretty much everything that the Western world has, so give it a shot! I'd recommend asking your embassy. :)

~Rachel

I haven't posted on this site before so I'm sorry if I don't do something quite right.
Anyway, RachelElise I found your information really helpful. My boyfriend lives in Israel (he had to move back there last year) and one of my options, at some point, would be to move out to live with him.
May I ask what the first step you took before moving to Israel was? Was it securing work? I understand if you don't want to go into too much detail but I am very interested in how to get the ball rolling if it comes to it.
Many thanks.

Hi,

Even if you are Jewish, as we are, do you still have to do "Aliyah
" if it's a temp move due to work? We would not likely stay forever and we would not become citizens, we cannot due to my husband's job, so I'm not sure how all of that would work. And how do you sign up for the Hebrew classes? Is it possible to take them prior to coming to Israel? Or is it better to wait until you're there? I read your post on smoking and I have terrible allergies and remember when I was in Israel years and years ago it seemed like nearly everyone smoked, I do dread that. Your posts are super helpful, RachelElise.

cityblondechic - Regarding smoking, there's a law saying you can't smoke in closed public places. Meaning most of the coffee shops / restaurants spaces are for non smokers. In pubs it's also against the law to smoke, but you have many people smoking in them and law is not really enforced there.

Shalom, a recommendation here for Olim hadashim relocating to Israel or anyone struggling to finding an apartment in Israel who do not want to pay agents unreasonable fees.
There is a wonderful and very reliable English friendly relocation company that helps people with Accommodations..They can find anyone furnished and/or renovated accommodations within a matter of hours anywhere in the country . 

However, that's not all! whats most amazing about their services, they also cater to your needs and can provide you with private Hebrew Lessons, Furniture deliveries, Social gatherings, and additional invaluable services such as helping with car purchases, furniture/appliances, etc.

For non- Jews or those who are determining whether they have Jewish roots, they may be able to help with work/student Visas (depending on your qualifications)  and offer internship programs, kibbutzim, and other unique programs that may help facilitate for relocation/living purposes.

They have a website (which i'm not sure if I can post here) ..you can type on google MomentumIsrael and on the top of the page you'll find "rent an apartment in Israel" or you can send me a reply and I'd be glad to refer their contact info to you;-)

Wishing all a Happy Hannukah
Aviva

Hello Aviva

Thank you for participating on this thread. However please note that the latter has been inactive since 2011.

You may recommend professionals only in the Israel Business Directory, as on the forum it might be considered as publicity.

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com

Dartistway,
   Thank you for the information you provided in your post. Hopefully I will be fortunate to find out what I need to know. If you would be so kind as to send me the contact information you mentioned, I wold appreciate that, very much. Thank you.
Sincerely,
Ronald C. Hall