New on Expat Blog, almost new in Philippines

Hi all, just to introduce myself. I'm Pedro, almost 27 year old and now since six months living in the Philippines. Since I'm working in Makati, I also found myself a condo there, but it's waaaay to small :)

Originally, I'm from Belgium. My mom is Belgian and dad is Portuguese. I lived in Kortrijk, close to France until I moved beginning of September.

I have to say, I expected Philippines to be an 'easier' country :) but everything seems so much more difficult than in Belgium. Arranging papers, looking for jobs, ... But I'm sure that will all go away once completely adapted to this country.

Just found the site, but I like it already. I'll try to spend some more time here.

Pedro

Hello Pedro.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Thank you for introducing yourself.

Aurélie

Welcome to this site Pedro! I hope you will be able to deal with your struggles here in our country in the future. What line work are you looking for anyway? Should you have any questions about pur country feel free to ask away! :)

Thanks for the welcome :-)

I'm sure I will find my way around here.

For jobs, I'm looking for a Dutch speaking job (call center/translator/...) preferably with chances to grow. I kinda need something to work towards and I need to see that I can improve myself. I'm working now as Dutch email support agent, but the future doesn't look that promising and I was a little disappointed with the salary.

I hope to find all the luck that I need here :-)

I am flying into Manila on 12 march and was due to catch the flight to Cagayan De oro at 7pm on an Airphil flight. Three weeks ago I was contacted by them to tell me that beyond their control they had to cancel the flight and they had changed my booking to a earlier flight. I told them that this was not possible as at the time I would not have arrived into Manila.I then asked them to cancel my booking and refund my money. They then told me that as they had only canceled my inward flight I would not receive refund on my outward flight to Manila on 26 March. As I did not want that flight also to be cancelled, so making me miss my flight to KL. I agreed to this. Now they tell me that to receive my refund will take from 50-60 days. Seems strange the from their bank to mine took around 1 hour yet to come back is going to take up to 60 days Surely the Philippine internet isn't that slow?
Needless to say I will never book with them again.
Noxid

one must get used to these thing while living in Phills
try going to LTO to get a drivers licence allow a whole day
an getting a 13a residence countless trips to local Imigration
then to Manila for a whole day and the paper work!!!!!
but the worst so far for me is trying to register a HOA, I rechon
It will take 6 mths and so much paperwork
But we choice to live here, so cop it sweet
Pete

Haha, you're right blueoakey. We choose to come, so we should adapt. We would expect the same if it was he other way around. We can only hope that it will become easier after a while. World Economy changes, Philippine Economy changes drastically. I think there will need to be some changes to keep improving :)

@ noxid: that's how it is with transactions all over the world I assume. Money in, yes please, as fast as possible. You get max a few days to pay. Money back? Ok, but only 30 or 60 days after the end of the month. Partly understandable. They have 100s or transactions a day, so it needs to be organized. But it takes a long time indeed :)

Hi Pedro,

Do you play football? Come and join us or contact my friend Alex.
Cheers,

Oliver

Hi Oliver,

Normally, I played rugby, but in general, I need sports :D Where do you play? What's the 'home field'?

All of these difficulties have helped Filipinos developed an invaluable virtue--patience.

If you can bear all of these, once you live in other countries, standing in queue for half an hour shouldn't ruin your day.

Imagine getting a birth certificate for half of the day and more challenges every Filipino and those who have chosen to live in the Philippines.

But beyond these things, you'll realize the beauty of living in the Philippines. Just stay long enough. Have patience.

Hi Guys

you're most welcome to join my expat dinner group, dinner nations.Will post a thread form the meet up soon, our next dinner is on April 10, Wednesday at 730pm in a secret venue in Mandaluyong. venue will be disclosed to confirmed attendees, 24 hours prior.if interested respond here or on the event thread . Looking forward to meeting all of you:)

Corinne

Hi, could i ask what is a HOA? I plan to move to the Philippines this year, will i have to do one of these?

Hi Pedro,

Do you speak Portuguese? :)

Mat

Lonely
no HOA is home owners Ass, we are starting one in the subdivision
where we live, it's a painful experience but unless u r as silly as me and become Chairman of HOA u will not need to do it
Pete