Finding a job in Brazil

Hi Friends,

Do you know any genuine Consultancies (Body shopping / Vendors / Institutes) in Brazil that could find a job in IT division? Pls. let me know.

I understand finding a job in Brazil is difficult and so all I need is your tip-off in my search.

Thanks beforehand.
Shansito

Hey there Friends:

Is Brazil open for Foreigners? I was in an interview and during that session I told to the interviewer that even if I get a job in Vietnam / Indonesia / Thailand I won't take it up because of the bad economy over there. Excuses if I am rude with my statement, but that's the same in Colombia, Cambodia and other under developed countries. I feel like the Government of those Countries is not giving opportunities to the Citizens of its nation. So that's where I planned not to search a job and take away their jobs.

I am not really sure about Brazil. Only thing is that I am overwhelmed with the Culture and the Jesus in the Rio which wants me to settle down there (and of course I am tired with Asia) I just wanna know your honest opinion, is Brazil open for Foreigners?

Reds,
Shansito.

..I am so dejected..

http://www.silchartoday.com/abroadjobs/southamerica.htm

It is extremely difficult for foreigners to get a job in Brazil. Your best chance is to look for an employer from your own country and see, whether they have an opening in Brazil. The difficulty is getting a work permit. This applies to all foreigners. Even if the company from your home country offers you a job, the time of your work permit will be limited. 

Your company is obliged to train, side by side with you, a Brazilian applicant for your job. Once this applicant is trained, your work permit will no longer be renewed. As a consequence, there are only two ways for being able to permanently live and work in Brazil:(1) You can either deposit the equivalence of $200,000 in an account of the National Bank of Brazil, to show that you have sufficient funding to start your own company, or, (2) you can have a child with a Brazilian girl, marry her and then get a residence permit.

The general problem is quite simple: There are many well educated and well trained Brazilians who cannot find a job and Brazilian Universities turn out ever more educated people looking for jobs. They have the advantage to speak fluently Portuguese and they know how the country runs administratively. An ability that should never be underestimated in a country where bureaucracy is an art! In addition, they do the job at less than one quarter of the costs of an expatriate.

The key to being successful in Brazil, besides a candidates obvious professional capabilities, is to speak fluently Portuguese. It is a difficult language to learn, both from the point of view of pronounciation and also because of the grammar, especially for Anglo Saxons! And then there is the speed at which Brazilians talk........they drive almost the same way! So it is certainly something to get used to!

But Brazil is a fabulous country and has much to offer, so if you find a way to live and work there, go ahead!

Okay Good Luck Brazil.

Regds.

Shankar ... "if you want, you can" ;)

Send more CVs, pass more interviews, and do your best !

Yep, Brazil is wide open for foreigners. Obviously, you will find some rocks down the hill that would bring you down to reality. Some fields in Brazil are expanding more than others, and those fields would allow you to find a job more easily. There are two main obstacles for foreigners to get a job in Brazil: 1st) Work permit, try to get one before you travel to Brazil, 2nd) Portuguese Language, Brazil is historically a country made up by foreigners, diffent ethnics, and the Portuguese language is the only thing that has culturally held everything together. You might hear that knowing English would lead you to a well-paid position in a company in Brazil. This is not all true! Knowing Portuguese very well will secure you  better other opportunities.

Hi Shankar,

It's not that Brazil is closed to foreigners seeking employment here. The thing you must remember is that there is a high rate of unemployment here and as such the Brazilian government has put in place rules that require employers to prove that they are unable to fill the position with a Brazilian before they can hire a foreign employee. This is only reasonable.

One of the other problems, especially in areas involving superior education, is that degrees from foreign educational institutions must be re-validated here.

IT is a big sector here and it is growing rapidly, however you may have to start all over again to get the qualifications if your degree, diploma, etc. is not recognized here.

See the link for information on revalidation.

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=177474

While English is very important here in Brazil and fluency in English can often mean the difference between a decent salary and an excellent salary; what is absolutely essential in order to obtain work here in Brazil is a reasonable level of fluency in the Portuguese language. You can't expect to work here if you can't communicate.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog

Hi there,

English is obviously a plus when you go search for a job here in Brazil, China, Argentina or anywhere else where it is not spoken as a first language. Having very good command of Portuguese would certainly make you feel more comfortable to interact and make new contacts though, unless you have already found a job before landing in Brazil that doesn't really demand proficiency in portuguese language at all. My wife and I have a very large circle of foreign friends here in Brasília and they all hold positions in decent companies, which is very surprising for me once Brasília is not as much exposed to foreign job search as São Paulo and Rio are. In the company where I work, we have hired some foreigners and only hard skills, besides having fluency in portuguese, were decisive criteria, as the position required constant contact with Brazilian customers. So, it really depends on what you are aiming at and what is being offered out there. Brazil has been experiencing  very low rates of unemployment and they are more obvious in specific fields and regions thoughtout the country. In my opinion, it is very positive for the Brazilian private sector to integrate all this high-skilled people who have been recently heading to the country. I'm sure they will contribute a lot to the local economy.