Considering moving to nairobi

hi.. i am working in advertising for the last 5 yrs.. actually i am getting some offers from agencies in nairobi like jwt, ddb and others.. i wanted to know hows the advertising scene there.. also i wanted to know about the cost of living in nairobi for 2 people.. as in how much should one ask for salary wise n stuff by which i can save and live well.. hoping to hear from you guys..

cheers

"i wanted to know hows the advertising scene there" - a booming sector, like all sectors in communication (radio, tv, ads, etc.)

Cost of living for 2 adults in Nairobi to live well - appx. 160000 to 180000 Kshs (considering you are going for a flat or small house between 60000 to 80000 Kshs) - you will live well but will not save (especially considering all installation cost such as cars, house rent deposit, etc.)

Also, make sure your employer will pay for a work permit.  It is mandatory !! Then, your wife can get a dependency pass.

TheBigBoss

advertising scene!
Well Nairobi is the marketing hub for east & central african advertising, which most major corps based here - coke, unilever, standard chartered, toyota, nestle, nivea, microsoft..to name a few. If you are in advertising, this is the place to be this side of the globe

hi.. thanks for the info.. is 3000$ after taxes a good enough money to live in nairobi and also save up n stuff..

It shouldnt be too bad if your housing is covered and transportation and you dont have to pay school fees.... you will not be able to save much though but you will get by...

well this is my opinion.

3000 USD sounds OK..you may be worth more but that depends on your experience etc..and like peperuka mentioned, get the permit/shipping etc included

what if some one has offer of US 2000 along with accomdation is that enough for a samall family of two persons only.
Is there any savings ?

enough.. but savings might get difficult.. in any case it all depends on how you live really..

Hello,

Considering moving back to Kenya. Looking for work. Have a public health background. Have lived and worked in Limuru, Kenya from 2007 - 2008 as a peace corps volunteer.

Currently living in Washington D.C., USA. Working for an internatinal public health company.

Any advice on getting started would be greatly appreciated.

Best,
Baji

$3000 might do IF you are not paying for rent and vehicle.  Rent in Nairobi can range from 10,000 shillings in a place you would not want to live to 250,000+ shillings in a pretty nice single family home with compound.  Cars are expensive and private schools are expensive.