Single parent moving to mauritius ?

Hi there, i am looking at the possibility of moving from France to Mauritius. I have a good job offer in education and am now looking for any advice and what real life in Mauritius could be like for a single parent family with 2 children of school age. Originally from uk, lived in France for 10 yrs. Is this a good idea ? is it safe for a woman alone with 2 children? ALL COMMENTS WELCOMED

Hi,

I'm from America and my wife is from South Africa. We've been living in Mauritius for two years. The island of Mauritius is a fairly safe. Just like other places in the world there are places you should not go alone to. Petty theft, like stealing bags from cars do happen but not so much. In order for Mauritius to feel like home you need make friends. The best way I suggest is find a church. We have a wonderful Christian church in the north called BCN. If it was not for our church we would have left the island. We have built up a lovely community of friends through our church. Before you choose an apartment or house you need to speak to people who know the community and make sure it will be good for you and your kids. Please feel free to send us a private message with more questions.

Thanks for your advice, i am in the process of confirming the job and wanted as much infos as possible. As i well know living in a place is very different than visiting it. Scholls i have seen on the web look of a good standard. With speaking anglo saxon, how do you find communication in general ? Thanks again will stay in touch if thas ok with you...just in case it all happens quickly.
Thanks again

Dear Jane

The observation of our friend from America is a very honest one.

However, I do not really share his advice regarding the “best way” to trying to create a network of friends through the Church.

Indeed, this tends to limit your opening to the Mauritian society, which is multicultural and multi-ethnic, unless you favour such an approach!

Regarding accommodation, it is advisable that you live in some areas where there are some expatriates also. However, do not look for the accomodation by yourself, since prices climb tremendously when expatriates are concerned.

Kind regards

Vayid

Regarding accommodation, it is advisable that you live in some areas where there are some expatriates also. However, do not look for the accomodation by yourself, since prices climb tremendously when expatriates are concerned.

Dear Vayid,
I don't agree with this. Being an expatriate myself, I found a nice house at a very reasonable price... nobody tried to squeeze my purse.... FYI, I contacted several agencies to find a suitable accommodation.

Regards
Arlette

Dear Arlette

I do not want to appear discourteous.

Still, what would be a “reasonable price” for an expatriate would most likely be above the market rate in 99% of the cases.

I rely on the appraisal of some other expatriates, who aver that this is the practice, as in many other countries too, in view of the [i]‘freshness”[/i] of expatriates in new territories.

Anyway, it is always comforting that one gets an accommodation, where he/she feels comfortable and gets the value-for-money feeling.

Cheers;)

Vayid

Well Vayid,
If you think that a house with 4 a/c bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, large living and dining, fully furnished, front and back garden, in a secure area for 20000 Rs is overpriced... upto you.
Anyway we are travelling overseas since over 35 years and quite know our way around. So I don't think that I made a bad deal.
All the best
Arlette

Well Arlette

This is what can be categorised not as super, but HYPER-LUCK.

It's really a great deal, and you are surely a talented lady.

I would really like to learn negotiation techniques from you if the fees are ... affordable!

Cheers;)

Vayid

In order to find a good house at a reasonable price STAY AWAY from agencies. They make money between the landlord and the tenant period. In order to find a good house and good price it takes networking. I have a three bedroom house, three bathroom, huge garage, garden, huge covered patio for 15000 rupees. How did I get this, networking. So my suggestion is to start making friends through this blog that can help you.

Thanks for all infos , it is with interest that i read them and there are some good pointers from all posts !

Next question would be about transport, is it easy to buy a car ! garages a good idea ?

Just asking
thanks in advance on pointers j

pbrough,
is your house furnished or not? and I think an important point is where about is it located. Prices vary a lot depending on the region and situation of it.
Arlette

hi there,
i think that its quite safe to come and live in mauritius.  i gather that your kids will be attending the school you will be working for.
it is fairly interesting especially if you are being paid as an expat.
if you need any help
please do not hesitate
i suppose you do speak french too
take care
frederic

Hi Pbrough,

what is the name of the Church you are currently attending? I am interested because that is our Main consideration in terms of moving to a certain place for work. 

Thanks

Regarding my statement about community. I was one week away from leaving Mauritius and never coming back. Three months passed and didn't meet a person I could trust to run my water sports company. Someone asked me my religious denomination, I said, "Christian". They recommend a few churches. The next Sunday I attended church and it changed my life. If you do have religious preference please find a church to belong too "Birds of a feather stick together." They helped with every aspect of my life; spiritual, housing, business connections, social. I'm very far from my family in America but I feel I have a family here. And for cultural diversity, I walk everyday throughout Port Louis.

Vayid - you're right about the price for a 4 bedroom for 20,000Rs. Very good price. Sure I can find the same and pay 1/2 but it will be located in Lion Mountains or in a sugar cane field.

(moderated: no free ads)

I really did not mean to inundate the site and to advertise. I was just trying to help out.

Dont worry Deepa!!! you can advertse if you want to  but with Julian's permission. We are all here to help.

I moderated Deepa's messages. Free advertisement is not allowed on the forum.
Please note that we are currently working on a new "Professional services" section in which you will be able to advertise your business.

Hi Jane,

You will defiantly need to have your own car coz it is impossible to get by with public transport. Mauritius is a little traditional
society when it comes to many types of new families (well not so new anymore actually) but it is also a changing society.
Like any new place it takes time to get to 'feel' the place
and develop the instincts for what is safe. There is a large
expat community too but mostly they are families of married couples however i think it will not make any different to them if you are single and mostly are in friendly mood. But if you would be looking for social support of other single mothers there is next to nothing.
There is a women's network very active and you could try writing to them on winmauritius.net

[No auto promotion please]

In any country you are, best regards,

Netta

i am a single mom as well, but i wont bring my kid there, i am being offered a job for 45000 Rs.. is that enough for me to live there alone as well as send money to my kid back home?:)

Hi Jane,

I think you and your children would feel happy and safe in Mauritius. I have two small children and my husband travels abroad often for work. I always feel safe in our large house here. You and your children will meet and make friends easily especially as you speak English and French!

chantal_ wrote:

i am a single mom as well, but i wont bring my kid there, i am being offered a job for 45000 Rs.. is that enough for me to live there alone as well as send money to my kid back home?:)

It is very possible to live modest and send at least 15,000 Rps home each month. Rent for a studio is from 8,000 to 17,000 Rps and shopping is cheap, the real expense is that you will have to have a car and the petrol. Coz public transport is not on time, and finishes very early in the evening- some lines could finish at 5pm. Not to mention drives like crazy while the roads are mostly broken too...
Cars in Mauritius are so overpriced and you could try for second hand car and then sell it again. But it wont be as cheap as getting a second hand car abroad. Good luck!

hi netta, thank you so much! 15Rs is big enough in PHP.. that's the problem, my employer said that they have shuttles during odd hours, but i really wanna have a car.. i just dont know how to get one since renting there is too expensive...

Hi Chantal,

I would suggest that you use the company transport during the work week, and then rent out for the weekend. If you find a rental near where you live, you could get a good deal if you wish to rent every weekend. i would say about Rs.700 per day for a decent car. ( works out to be 6 to 7k a month).

All the best :)

Cheers,
Musheer.

hi musheer,
the problem is they are not providing a car for me.. :(