Rental car suggestion in Bahrain

Hello all,

I am about to get my driving license and I would like to get your thoughts on renting a car for beginners. I am not into fancy cars and I am new to driving. I want something comfortable, simple and does the job of taking me from A to B. A built-in GPS would be good but not essential. Which car do you recommend to someone who is new to driving? Where do you rent your cars from? What is the price range I should be looking at?

Appreciate your response.

I pay 200BD a month for my car. Brand new from Speedy car rental at Alosra.  There is no GPS but they cheap to buy at Cerrefore anyway.

There are lots of car rental places right by where you work. Why don't you pop over in your lunch break? Ask them about rules (age, length of time you have to have had your licence before you can rent, holding deposit etc)

Most rental cars are automatics and I would strongly recommend that you have one and not a manual

hi there, is it worth bringing proof of no claims discount from my previous insurance company ? Thanks in advance

dazzadarule wrote:

hi there, is it worth bringing proof of no claims discount from my previous insurance company ? Thanks in advance

No not here. It's the car that is insured not the person.

Did you find a car brightonguy? I just hired a little Honda sedan from Avis at the gulf hotel for 170bd per month. No GPS but bought the garmin for 60bd and love it.

Hi Silver,

I bought the garmin and it doesn't update so you may find yourself very lost especially around Isa Town where all the new roads are being built.

Thanks to Josnuggles, we went to rent a car together and I rented a 2013 model Kia Cerano. So far love it! Didn't buy a GPS yet as the Google Maps app on my iPhone seems to serve the purpose perfectly. I even bought an iPhone car mount kit so I attach it on the window and it looks just like a GPS.

My husband gave me his tomtom so I could drive to the school in isa town and it didn't have any maps for Isa town, ended up getting lost until my daughter thought of google maps on the phone and navigated.

I should have just bought a car phone mount too and not wasted money on the gps, didn't think of that!

I bought one from Sharaf DG in Bahrain City Centre mall for 10BD. It works perfectly.

Glad you got sorted - can also recommend Tooranco on American Alley - I also have a Kia Ceratto from them for 170bd.  They are really helpful, you dont need a deposit (our lovely natwest debit card doesnt work in Bahrain - go figure!)and they were very understanding when I had a bit of a bump

It is really strange, I also have a Natwest Debit Card and it did work for me. I remember withdrawing BDs from ATMs many times when I first arrived here.

Have you tried it on other places? If this is still not working, give Natwest a call. I'm sure they'll help.

The debit card works fine at all the ATM's that display the Visa sign.  However, as soon as you try to use it to pay for say your supermarket shopping or to swipe for a deposit for a hotel or car it refuses it.  Has caused us many an embarrassing moment.

We have spent hours on the phone to NatWest and they say there isnt a problem and that the machines must be broken - not true as we have been with friends who have used say their Lloyds card straight after us.

I did read on another forum that it is something to do with chip and pin.

Have you used yours as a debit card then?  Maybe will try again as havent done it for some time to save them thinking I have no money :P

A bit off topic here now guys. Might be worth opening a new post as the info is useful

Yes Jo you're right, sorry about that...

Hey, from where you bought Garmen GPS, Thanks

Garmin GPS can be found at Sharaf DG within Bahrain City Centre mall in Seef.

Great, Thanks a lot