Phnom Penh or Sihanoukville?

Hi all,

I am new here. I been travelling for a long time by bicycle and now wanna stop somewhere in Cambodia and write a book. I'm planing to rent a small, cheep apartment or to stay in a guest house (for 5-6 $). I can't decide where to stay: in PP or in Sihanoukville.
I'm wondering where is:
- more quiet
- cheaper for living (I don't wanna spend more than 15 $ per day including accommodation)
- more safe
- more possibilities for doing outdoor activities
I'm not interesting in night life, I usually don't eat in restaurants (during my tour I mostly sleep in a tent and cook on my small stove), and I am almost autistic when I'm working. :/

Thank you in advance for advices.

Snezana

My Sok Sarath I'm a Local guy in Siem Reap Angkor area
I have no idea to help you at that side but if your trip at my area I can help yo organize it. If you need me any help please feel free to contact me at any time via phone +855 12 80 80 22

Sihanoukville with no hesitation.

dosolto wrote:

Sihanoukville with no hesitation.

Agreed, with no hesitation!

Thank you, guys :)
Is it possible to live with around 500 $ per month, including accommodation?

Yes it is possible to live on that amount,however I would suggest try to budget a little more if possible. I live on that amount, but I work 10-12 hrs a day and have a steady girlfriend.If you are going to do even a little partying, try for a bit more if you can.

hotdigr wrote:

Yes it is possible to live on that amount,however I would suggest try to budget a little more if possible. I live on that amount, but I work 10-12 hrs a day and have a steady girlfriend.If you are going to do even a little partying, try for a bit more if you can.

Well, I'll work about 10-12 hrs as well, but don't plan to do any partying. Only what I need is a small quiet place and writing desk in. When I'll rest of my writing, I'll riding (my own) bicycle around or swimming or hiking. Ok, sometimes would be nice to have a beer,  :D

You should be ok then. send me and e-mail when you get here and I'll shout you a beer at my bar.

hotdigr wrote:

You should be ok then. send me and e-mail when you get here and I'll shout you a beer at my bar.

O, thank you a lot! :)

You can stay in Sihanoukville at Utopia for as little as $1 a day, but I wouldn't recommend it. If you're going to stay for a bit, ask about weekly rates. WE're coming out of busy season, and rainy season will be here soon. Rates go down then! Many places in Snooky advertise on line. Check with the Rainbow guest house. near the markets, and a quiet street.

$1 a day ????? :|

dosolto wrote:

$1 a day ????? :|

6 years ago Utopia was free to stay in a bunk in a shared room, they wanted the money from you eating and drinking there, good deal.

Don't expect much from Utopia. Its full of Euro-trash and backpackers, noisy, rude and smelling bad. But if you're really broke, its a bed and a roof over your head. It's just an example of what can be found in town. Everything is cheaper in rainy season, after mid-June.