What college degree?

Hello,

First, since I am a newbie to this forum, let me say thank you for having me here! I hope for this to be an enjoyable learning experience.

Now for my questions:

I am working on returning to college and would like to hear what degrees people find the most useful when trying to find employment in China?

My background is in automotive and construction, with the last 13 years as an owner of two small businesses.

I have been leaning towards either a business / Int'l business degree or some form of an engineering degree. I am guessing that I will be looking for employment in either the automotive manufacturing or general manufacturing industries.
But at this point in time I have many different interest and I still have an open mind.

So I am looking to see what jobs, other then teaching, are available for Americans in China?

Is Southern China known more for any one industry? The little bit that I have seen, the Guangzhou area keeps showing up as the place that I think I would start my employment search.

What about Americans studying in China? I feel if I am going to be doing business with both Chinese and American companies I think it would be best to study in China giving me the most exposure to the culture before re-entering the work-force.

Does anyone have experience combining an online degree from an American College while studying Mandarin in a classroom locally?   

OK, I'll give everyone time to answer these questions. haha Sorry for firing off so many at one time.

Thank you,

SirDude

Sir Dude,

Not sure I can answer all your questions, but what I can tell you is that there is a vast array of jobs out there that expats can take advantage of. Besides the obvious--teaching--many of my friends are engaged in consulting, editing, and anything business related. I'd check out Expats in China Jobs for a taste of what is being advertised. Just realize that places such as Guangzhou, Chengdu, Beijing and Shanghai already have had their foreigner heyday, and that you might face stiffer competition in these areas.

I live in Xian, a city that is still considered second tier, so the amount of expats and opportunities for expats aren't that competitive compared to the above mentioned cities from what I've seen. Living in a less developed city has its downsides, of course, but things are cheaper and your chances to practice Mandarin greater than those cities with large expat communities.

Some Chinese companies aren't going to be as knowledgeable about U.S. degrees, so you could get away with an online one probably. As far as the language learning goes, in China there are many private schools and tutoring companies that allow for you to sign up for courses when the time works for you. I've paid 30 yuan an hour before for one-on-one tutoring, which if you convert this, it turns out to be less than 10 bucks an hour. Also, I'd check out eChineselearning.com, which offers face-to-face skype instructions if you'd like to get an edge before coming to China. They are a legit company that offers great lessons for the price.

Hope this gives you some info. Best of luck to you. Its a great experience!

Lostintranslationlaowai

Thank you for this very useful information. (moderated: no ads please)