Are there any caribbean people living in Greece?

Hi all... just wondering what life in Greece would be like for an English speaking lady from the Caribbean. I'm currently living in London and so am used to being a minority lady in the UK and I know there are a few africians living in greece. just wondering how it would be for a foriegner who looks viSabIly different.

wouldn't expect to find a job in during the crisis but maybe when its all over then maybe it could be a good place to to live.

Hello Alicia42.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Aurélie

Thanks

Hi Alicia42,
I am sure that you are going to love Greece for the sun, beaches, food and all the other things you have heard. Being visibly different I suppose will not be a problem if you are planning to relocate in one of the  big cities people are used to in foreigners. In smaller places local societies are less tolerant as I think, it happens in every country. But I believe that it depends of your determination to find your place and succeed, you just have to be cautious with the "red lines" at least in the beginning if you really want to have some time with the locals.
The truth is that thinks are pretty difficult now due to the financial crisis and we all are under a lot of stress. If you don't have to work for your expences you try it, why not? After all summer in Greece is a great idea!
Could you tell me a few things about London or generally UK my daughter is thinking to do her studies there?
Feel free to ask about me Greece.

Hi I've been to greece twice now and loved it but of course being on holiday is very much different from living there.

what do you mean by red lines ... you mean things like understanding the culture.

Yes i keep hearing about how difficult things are in greece at the moment... and no one can seem to say when things are going to get better but i hope for you guys living there that you keep living in hope. Hopefully things start to get better soon.

London is much better for living at the moment than greece. things are more expensive... petrol and food and rent. Its becoming harder to make ends meet but at least here you can still make ends meet.... you may just have to sacrifice a bit on some luxuries... i still go out but not as much as i used to and try not to buy too many clothes and shoes. petrol has gone up. so we here are spending larger and larger proportions of our wages on food, heating, housing and petrol....

The UK is wonderful place to study. If you study in london it is expensive. but if you study out of london then its more reasonable for accomodation and transport. in fact if your daughter were to study in an student town then she may be able to walk everywhere. You learn about in the classroom and also outside of the classroom.

not sure what she wants to study but she should go to a decent uni for the subject she wants to study. have a look at the time university guide... see link thetimes.co.uk/tto/public/gug/