New Teaching Couple in Jeddah

Hi all

Seeking some advice. My partner and I have both been offered teaching jobs at the same school in Jeddah. We are not married and the main concern is how normal a life we would be able to live in Jeddah. Any advice or relevant experiences would be great.

This is KSA, you cannot cohabit, talk to unrelated women in the street, hold hands, etc.  You will get grassed up by your apartments security for meeting up and the punishments over here (and yes, it's punishment, not rehabilitation) you don't want. 

If the two of you want to come over here as a couple, then hit the registry office.

Even that lots of things are happening behind closed doors here including partnering of unmarried couples ,but the risk you will be taken is huge.

theburpingspider wrote:

Seeking some advice. My partner and I have both been offered teaching jobs at the same school in Jeddah. We are not married and the main concern is how normal a life we would be able to live in Jeddah. Any advice or relevant experiences would be great.

To add to the other comments, although you both received offers from the same school, your workplaces will be separate due to KSA's gender segregation and morality laws.  Additionally, depending on your nationalities, punishment for violating these laws could be physical, plus, you both face paying a fine.  Either way, you're certain to be deported.  Check out this wiki write up on the Commission for the Promotion of Virtue and Prevention of Vice.

Forget about leading a normal life as an unmarried couple unless you're both fully prepared to live very separate lives.   You're not likely to live in the same building, but if by some chance you do, visiting each other's flats is a huge no-no---the same for riding together by car.  In fact, you and your partner would have to be very careful not to mention the existence of each other to co-workers at your respective places of work. 

Frankly, you don't need the extra of stress on your relationship; you'll also be adjusting to life in an ultra-conservative society as well as learning the ins and outs at your new jobs.  Moreover, many single expat women---especially those coming from a free society---face an even bigger adjustment here in the Kingdom. As such, you both would likely find the excitement of earning big money quickly waning.

So ditto Beakersful's suggestion: get married before coming here.  Better yet, apply to teaching jobs in countries where cohabitation is socially accepted or at least tolerated.

Depends on school - not all are segregated. And if you live in compound - nobody cares how you live.

Thanks for all the replies

It is at Jeddah Prep & Gramm, I have emailed the head asking for information on the compound so will wait and see....

It is the only concern I have as I hear good things about the school, it is just the social aspect for my partner

Hi,
i have my friends family also in the same situation here and both are working with different employer.

now the problem is of living together without proper documents from the authority is difficult.

better to get the married certificate attested by the Saudi authority and it would help if any checking comes.

HI! I had the same worry almost two years ago... we were unmarried at that time...

and yes it was difficult, we could not even sit still in a restaurant together, because she was so worried. SHe had to, because the punishment is heaver to ladies, so we heard.

Be sure to be in the company of a legal couple at all times, even in a car,

you can be in the same flat to visit a friend as long as there is a couple present.

Better not to push limits and stay safe.

With the accommodation, definitely you will not be in the same building....

[Moderated: Off topic]

Aboudi.khan wrote:

[Moderated: Off topic]

Thanks for pointing that one out, Aboudi. LOL!