Help from people that would know!

Hi,

My husband and I are very seriously thinking of moving to Qatar?

My husband is a quantity surveyor, so has a skilled job that should work for us over there.

I am a trainer/manger within the telcoms industry so I too would like to work.

My husband has since last week been in talks with a UK recruitment company and a company within Qatar re a possible position, the talks between them have been very confusing, from the over the phone interview to now an offer of a job.

We have friends that work or have worked in different parts of the middle east, and when they relocated they have various different stages of the interview process including a face to face. This has not happened with my husband (it could be, as they thought he had the skills required) but surely it would be better to actually meet in person before making a final decision? When the relocated they were offered a full relocation package. Is there anyone that works within construction or my husband's field that knows the going rate for a relocation package and what should be offered?

It has brought us to today where they have offered him the role, however have not included accommodation or company car with the package and said this would be at our own expense, the package they have offered is at a rate that you would think that a company car and accommodation would naturally be included in.

We have actually never been to Qatar before, but have travelled to and from Dubai many times (I appreciate Qatar is nothing like Dubai)

Can anyone out there please help and give me some expat advise

Many thanks is advance

Britt

Accommodation is quite expensive - you will be hard pressed to find something decent for less than 12000 QR a month - so factor that in if its not included. Often car is not included, but there may be a travel/car allowance.

I cant speak about that industry and the current rates - but yes we had some "relocation" expenses covered - freight costs on a specified amount of unaccompanied baggage.

You need to negotiate a contract that you are happy with.

Thanks for your help.

Yes that works out quite a bit for accommodation doesn't it, so we need to get something included on the package they are offering

It seems like the negotiations are not going well so I think we will pass with this company and keep looking :)

How is it to find work if you are a woman?

I'm a high school Maths/Science teacher, so given there is a global shortage of us I don't have any issues usually anywhere I go - most schools jump at giving me a job!!

Depends on what you want - I am here on family visa sponsored by husband - so I'm what they call a 'local hire' - so I don't get expat pay or conditions (i.e. lower pay, no accom allow, flights etc) - but on the upside I am able to resign and take another job without needing a clearance letter from the current employer or risking a 2yr working ban in Qatar. You can always try to get a job with your visa sponsored by company and expat conditions - but my understanding is that women can't sponsor husbands - he needs his own business visa.

Anyway, there seem to be plenty of jobs going in Qatar so being a woman shouldn't be too much of an issue if you have the qualifications they want.