Shipping a laptop from US vs. buying in Vietnam?

I'm trying to decide whether to ship a small laptop to Hanoi from New Orleans, Louisiana, USA, to my son, or advise him to go ahead and buy a new one in Vietnam.
From what I gather online, it will cost quite a bit on BOTH ends to ship it, it may be stolen in route, or never even get there.

I've read that there may be a large fee upon arrival there? Is there no set price?
Are all these stories accurate or true?

I was surprised to read that the prices of laptops were actually higher there than in the US. Any input or advice on this would be greatly appreciated!

Yep I'd say the above is fairly accurate.
IT here is available but at a cost. Typically you pay the same prices here but the kit is around 12-18 months behind the specs you would get for the same money back home.

You can get some good deals here but only if you know what you are looking for etc.

Best bet if you want the latest gear is to go to HK or Singapore and then bring it back yourself.

Thanks so much for your input! I will pass this along to my son.
Could you recommend a place in or around Hanoi that sells legit laptops at reasonable prices? He's not looking for a high end type.

Sorry can;t help with shops in Hanoi, I'm based in HCMC. Hopefully someone else will be able to supply a reputable place.

Oh, sorry, I didn't see that. Thanks for your help! Love your user name, lol.

have him study what make and model he wants to buy: Lenovo, Acer,...
then go to the website of those mfg and find their official retailers

For example, for Lenovo
http://shopap.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/co … /Bplocator

They are more expensive than other shops, but it would buy you peace of mind since you are not local.

That's a good idea. It seems he'll just have to bite the bullet and buy a new one.

I read somewhere that you have to be careful of parts used, even if sold as a reputable brand. Something about a VAT number?? Are you familiar with this?

I would assume going to the manufacturer's retailer would be safe, but I don't know how all that works in another country.

Thank you for your input!!!

VAT number in connection with part replacement? Does not ring a bell!

Corporate customers normally ask for a pink receipt for VAT refund. In that connection, the seller would ask for the VAT registration number, but I am sure that is not you are referring to.

I see. I'll have to go back and find the info I was reading. Perhaps I got it confused. The point he was making was to make sure it has some sort of code to verify it wasn't made with substitute parts.

Buy the laptop in VN at least you get the warranty from the brand (12 or 24 months).
Check the Brand's web sites for the adresses or official resellers.
If you buy in the US or in Ly Nam De in the small shops you can forget about the warranty.
Try to buy a famous brand: Sony, HP, Le Novo because they have a repair center in Hanoi.
Prices are 20% more expensive than the US but similar compared to Singapore or Hong (no warranty so it explains the cheaper price).
Anyway all laptops are made in China.

I bought 2 for my cousins last time I went back. It had an international warranty, based in Hanoi. But we are from the south so I guess it didn't really matter. I had 3 laptops in my back pack and nothing was said about tax. The only problems were my shoulders.

Thanks so much for your help, good tips!

Thank you!

I am in Hanoi now.
For the quality, i think you should ship for the laptop coz of almost electronic devides in Vietnam are made in Taiwan or China. ALthought the same brand but have difference from the quality.
If you still want to buy laptop in Hanoi, i could suggest you some company such as: trananh, phuc anh or hanoicomputer... I often buy my laptop from these company and i'd like the ASUS brand.

I would say the chances of it arriving are nearly zero.

If you know someone traveling here, have him buy it.  I do t think they are that much more expensive here.

Guys, the OP's last post was nearly 9 months ago. He's probably gotten his answer by now. This is an old thread.

Good catch.  Someone must've found it on google because it'd take a lot of paging to go back that far.

Right!! sometime the thread is not only to ans topic prob. someone who has the same troub could be get the ans.

Hi guys, just share something.
Sooner or later, somebody will find interesting information.

Customs opens all packages.  They steal anything they fancy.  What more is there to say about it?

My friends from Norway, Australia go back and pro with three old &new laptops for many times. Never have they had problem with customs officers.
For other countries, I have no idea.

About one of every six packages I order never arrives.  And those are just music and books.  Order something of recognizable value and the chances are probably close to zero.

Carrying thing on an airplane, of course they won't steal it, though you're better carrying it as your own than in the box and clearly new, they will probably try to "tax" you for that.

Deane123,
  Here in a country where is much not truly the label it has on it I would suggest you determine what brand name you are looking for. Then go online to that product line and see who is an authorized dealer You can buy knock off of anything here, and the price is the same or higher than the real deal.

Old post but for the record, you can easily ship cell phones, laptops, whatever from the U.S. to Viet Nam without paying customs or having it stolen. You just need to use a Viet shipping company. Wouldn't cost more than $70 to ship a laptop with a 7 day shipping time.

Deane123 wrote:

Thanks so much for your input! I will pass this along to my son.
Could you recommend a place in or around Hanoi that sells legit laptops at reasonable prices? He's not looking for a high end type.

LaidBackFreak is correct Deane.  Most likely when you send the computer from your home the shipper will charge you an import tax (I found out it is 30%!).  This import tax is the reason many electronics are more expensive in VN.

Qiondong (black and yellow logo) is the retailer I would go to look for a computer (I think they have computers).  The store sells many phones, tablets, and accessories.  Plus, their customer service is good and the workers generally speak decent english.

In general be careful of bait and switch scams and if your son ever gets an iPhone or computer fixed make sure the repairs are done in front of him.  A friend told me that some shops will keep iPhones overnight to "fix" and then replace the authentic parts with imitation ones.  Weeks later the phone dies.

That being said I never got the impression that Qiongdong is that type of company and it's worth it to check them out.  Plus, they'll punch your SIM card for free.

Good luck!

The only downside to buying one abroad is if it breaks, it'll be difficult to fix. I'm going back to US soon mainly to fix my laptop the Dell center here can't. :(

Brice Belian wrote:

Buy the laptop in VN at least you get the warranty from the brand (12 or 24 months).
Check the Brand's web sites for the adresses or official resellers.
If you buy in the US or in Ly Nam De in the small shops you can forget about the warranty.
Try to buy a famous brand: Sony, HP, Le Novo because they have a repair center in Hanoi.
Prices are 20% more expensive than the US but similar compared to Singapore or Hong (no warranty so it explains the cheaper price).
Anyway all laptops are made in China.

Brice,

It's true all laptops are made in China but when they get to VN the authtentic parts may be replaced;
"Serviced in VN."   :)

Anatta wrote:

VAT number in connection with part replacement? Does not ring a bell!

Corporate customers normally ask for a pink receipt for VAT refund. In that connection, the seller would ask for the VAT registration number, but I am sure that is not you are referring to.

I think you mean product key ( windows) and activation code also windows i tried to fix bsod on my pc with bogus product key and when i rang microsoft they said Boo Hoo bye

Hello, I am local just moving to Hanoi from SG for working and have some experiment buying laptop here.

I think if you choose your laptop for basic user, just go out and pick one of famous branch, like HP,Dell because of the global warranty

It will be better if you can bring laptop from USA, where is best price offer. but if your laptop goes wrong, you may lose it or dont even think of bring to the guy who can fix it, they will play game at you.

So, if you dont have any choice, just  go to the big shop and choose the famous brand.

Adhome01 wrote:

Old post but for the record, you can easily ship cell phones, laptops, whatever from the U.S. to Viet Nam without paying customs or having it stolen. You just need to use a Viet shipping company. Wouldn't cost more than $70 to ship a laptop with a 7 day shipping time.

Could you recommend a shipping company?

You can buy a very nice computer at a decent price in Bangkok (roundtrip airfare is very cheap).  Also, you can buy the computer in the USA, and pay a courier service to have someone bring the computer over here for you.  if you use a courier you avoid the taxes when the computer is brought into the country, possibility of theft, and you can complain to a western company with a guarantee policy of the computer is damaged or never arrives.

You do not avoid import tax if you use a courier like dhs.

Can you recommend a reputable shipping company please?

I have heard good reports about Planet Express!