Yet Another Salary Question!

Hello All,

Humble apologies for asking this age old question, but you're the experts so here goes!

I have potentially been offered a job working for an ADNOC subsidiary as a Firefighter.
The recruitment company have stated that I will receive a monthly salary of of 14500 AED per month (plus overtime) and a housing allowance of 250000 AED  per year. All utilities paid, all medical paid. An unspecified furniture allowance, school fees paid and initial placement flights paid.
From research I think that whilst the monthly wage isn't huge, the rest of the package offsets, and I will be ok (wife and one year old too).
I am earning about the same monthly wage in the UK, but obviously with none of the other perks.
Anything glaring that ive missed? Ideally I would like to save a wee bit every month as well.

Looking forward to hearing from you and maybe meeting sometime soon!

just go for it, good deal, salary is ok, no taxes and all your expenses are paid, aslong as you stay out of the clubs and don't go too much wining and dining you will safe, the cost of living is cheaper then UK, just check your medical coverage, that could be a "no go" with a young child.

True, the salary doesn't appear generous but the benefits are! Could be worth asking if your housing allowance is paid directly to you in which case you could always take a cheaper property and pocket the difference.
I would also ask the value of the 'unspecified furniture allowance'
Otherwise...go for it :)

Yes the benefits in your package are amazing! I would do it!!

We just moved here in January and I can tell you that your housing allowance (which is about the only part of this move I had to deal with because it is my husband who is being transfered) is 100,000 dirham more than what we were given. With your family size you should have some of that left over at the very least :)

Thanks for your advice so far. The housing allowance is a "use it or lose it" deal so I don't get to keep any extra.  Alex1971 can I ask why you say that about the medical insurance?

Guess you could use the Housing allowance to furnish up as well.  Medical Insurance for family is pretty much mandatory, so your kid is quite well covered, no worries.  Go for it.

I hope you guys are still available for some answers.....it turns out the housing allowance is 110000aed. I was sold a little white lie from the recruiters it seems. Monthly salary is the same. Furniture allowance is 24000aed and I will receive a half ton allowance shipping. Medical paid and kids school up to 30000aed per year. I'd love some advice on whether you still think this is acceptable for a married couple and infant son.
Thank in advance

Very much acceptable

Hi mate,

Im flying out in 9 days to be a firefighter for this company.

I'm having serious problems with the shipping. They have said I get 350KG allowance and it will be reimbursed when i arrive.

To be on the safe side I told them how much I was paying and they said its far too much and they wont reimburse. The amount is £1,400, and they items Im shipping are well below my 350KG limit. They admitted there is a big problem with the shipping at the minute and they are trying to fix it. Not what I need when I'm due to go out so soon.....

Did you accept the offer? If so when are you going out? First rounds on me :cool: