Is it safe to live in the north?

I'm a US teenager considering teaching in Pader District northern Uganda this summer. I been studying the conflict with the LRA and I have a real passion to help the children affected by this awful conflict. I was hoping someone might be able to tell me if its safe to live in Northern Uganda for an American teenager? I'm not really scared but I am wondering if there is any precautions I should take? Also about how much money should I set aside for food? I'm planning on going for about two months. I appreciate any advice.

Hello!

"I like your post, It is very safe to be there and as you will see, there are very many Charity Organizations in the North so you will even easily find social networks!
The food is very cheap and it should not worry you in anyway!
daily on food you may require a minimum of 5 dollars!
Often I go there to take clothing for the Disadvantaged children."

(moderated: stop copy and paste)

Yes it is safe to live in Northern Uganda,you don't have to worry,so many people from all over the world go there and have amazing experiences to tell...you should give it a try.I am talking from experience...

Hi teenager thanks for your message.As far as i know Northern Uganda is now a safe place.The rebels were pushed far away from the Ugandan territory into Central African republic.they can longer wreck avoc.I have been away from Uganda and i am now in Baku Azerbaijan Pursuing studies but at least a follow events back home.About the cost of leaving,uganda is not so expensive and u can leave cheap places to leave for those two months u said u want to go there.U can get more inf from your embassy in Uganda and they will tell u more about thye cost.And if there is any other precaution u have to take then they will provide that one as well because the US as far as i know keep on advising  its nationals on the places to avoid.Hope that one will help

Yes it is safe to live in Northern Uganda,you don't have to worry,so many people from all over the world go there and have amazing experiences to tell.

But if you can as well think of carrying out research on Genocide, Rwanda can be another destination to learn from.

Think about Rwanda as well.

Uganda is a very safe place to live.Do not worry about any thing.As far as i know our government is in charge of the security of the country not any militia or any rogue elements.Northern Uganda which had some problems was sorted out by the Ugandan government and business is back to normal.It has been like that for a long time now

I come from northern Uganda,it is now very safe and the people there are very hospitable.There used to be war,true but now things are ok and back to peace.The cost of living is quite cheap.Please come you will love it.However its very hot so u may want to carry not so warm clothes.
Gdluck

hi     email me  on [email protected],i live in the north

technically one would say so.I am Ugandan and originally from the north much deeper than pader.
a word of advice to you,its relatively safe except for a few petty thieves taking advantage of the fear eminent in the people to commit petty crimes so i can give you a go ahead.

regarding expenses,its relatively cheap unless you are picky or want special food/accommodation etc then again i would advice you that health wise,it is abit risky especially with malaria and other tropical diseases so you might end up spending abit more on that if you dont have insurance.

Always remember to use a mosquito net.introduce yourself to the authorities in the area for security purposes and you will be okay.the people are friendly and almost all speak English but also watch out who you get close to.

you can drop me a P.M if on your way then i can help you with the basics like introducing you to authorities in the area.and you should be safe.
good luck