The best way to get my Portuguese up

Sir,
I am looking to move at some point to SP and need some help. I would like to know what you think is the best way to get my Portuguese up to par since I am mostly a beginner at this point and about IT work if possible but if not, perhaps English teaching. I am currently an IT manager with a fairly good amount of IT skills that are current. I know nothing about Brazil's IT culture/capabilities or how current the country is. The bigger issue will be my Portuguese and I want to learn very much so I can ask and be understood. Is there a book or language software perhaps or an online course that you would recommend? Thanks in advance and hope to hear from you soon.

Ron Christie
Hopeful SP resident some day!

Hi Ron,

Brazil is actually one of the world's most advanced nations regarding IT. It is certainly a growth industry here. All of the major IT and software technology companies operate here.

As far as learning Portuguese goes, I'm a firm believer in formal education. Check for language schools in your country that may offer Portuguese courses, failing that try and find a private teacher. There are also a number of computer based programs or online courses for Portuguese. They should not be considered an alternative to classrooms and books, but certainly are extremely helpful adjuncts.

Contrary to popular belief that English will get you by anywhere on earth, it's not always true. To live and work in Brazil a decent level of fluency in Portugese is absolutely essential. While it's true that English is the "universal language of commerce", it is not widely spoken here even in large businesses. The average Brazilian citizen speaks TWO kinds of English, LITTLE or NONE. So just getting by in day to day situations would be a real challenge without Portuguese.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

I wouldn't mind teaching English but I have no formal training for that. I do love to teach and have taught friends in Asia quite a bit. They say I am very good at it and should do it more often. What does an English teacher make for salary there? Is there health coverage? I don't need much as I am very healthy all my life, just wondering. Well, I hope to hear from you soon. Have a great day!

Ron

Hey!
I've been in Brazil for 6 weeks and dident speak anything except a little more then basic spanish. I downloaded many apps to my IPhone and IPad that were free. Many of them were very bad but I starten to use one more and more. The name of the app is Busuu and its really amazing, i have bought the whole series ofcourses now(the first ones are free) and I have picked up so much. They even have a community linked to the app were other people can correct you or you can correct other students exercises.

Check it out, you find it in app store and probably to other phones.
The name is Busuu.

/
Henrik

http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/portuguese/guide/

It's a good start.

Hey,

My name is Elez from Macedonia and now im living in São Paulo
I learn from Dictionary English and Portugues and is most imported is communication with the people.
the best web side livemocha.com/
Regards

I think the best way to learn is talking with the people that already speak portuguese, this way you can learn faster and understand slangs.
I could help you if you want...

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum]

Hola a todos busco profesor de portugués,,,,

Ha el  profesor de portugués que este en bogotá

Roberto,

Out of consideration to all of our members, please post in ENGLISH ONLY in this anglophone forum please!!! If you wish to post in any of our other forums we offer forums for English, Spanish, French, Italian and Portuguese. You can access these language forums by clicking the down arrow next to the flag icon you see in the green banner at the top of the forum page and select the language you wish.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil & Canada Expert, Expat-blog Team

Before I came here i bought pimsleur portuguese on from amazon and its been great it thought me all the basics and had me confident enough to actually speak to brazilians!! Once I got here I made sure to connect the tv straight up to Brazilian tv and watch some everyday, their novellas are really good, between the lessons, talking to people and tv my portuguese has come on in leaps and bounds since I got here. But its really an issue of overexposure to portuguese!!
Also Brazilian people are great to help you out when your stuck they always have a few words of english and don't mind your broken and half put together portuguese sentences so don't be afraid to speak as much as you can!!!