Moving to the Philippines

I am seeking help on moving to the Philippines, in particular Davao City. I have a fiancee there and have gone there to Davao City last Febuary thru March. We are in the process of getting her a faincee visa, but this process is a pain (in the US) and time consuming. We have discussed of my moving there. I searched of what it requires to do this, and from what I read, you must have certain credentuals or certain amount of money to do this. Myself, I've gone through a divorce and honestly, been pretty well wiped out financially. I was told by the moderator here to make contact with some of you gents to see what types of ideas you have that could assist me in this.(Hey, I'd even work for an American there ..) I know of the earnings there and it is NOT what we are used to in the US as you know. But I don't care as long as I can make this move and work enough to put a roof over our heads and eat. Seen how most there live and to me, it's a pretty poor but simple life. I loved it! :) How about some ideas or help? Thanks

I'm dead serious on this. The sooner I get there the better~

for nitephantom
since you are in the US, i suggest you get to know people from the Filipino community. They can be a big help for you and your fiancee.

hello.
dont want to sound pessimistic..but finding work which will allow you to put a roof over your heads might be a challenge. (but then again, that depends on what kind of roof you want).
seriously now, you have to find a company which will provide you a sponsorship. otherwise, you wont get a job. not alot of companies are willing to give this, unless you have a "special" skill, eg. engineering, etc.
good luck!

If you're a native english speaker, that is a special skill. Eventhough they understand english, not a lot of people there has the conversational english skill. Call center is a big industry there, depending on your experience, you can be a language trainer or an english teacher. Just don't expect the big bucks similar to the US payscale. If you want to live there, the best thing is to set up your own business. You don't need a lot to start one. Also, for a US citizen, you can fly down there without any visa and stay there legally for a certain amount of time. Not sure if it's 14 days, 1 month, or 6 months max. You can overstay if you want as long as you don't get into other illegal activity. It's not like the immigration officials are walking the streets hunting down overstaying foreigners.

oh, one more thing, if you're really prepared and willing to rough it in, join the peace corps and ask to be assigned there.

Life in the Philippines is great BUT I do not think that you will survive as a common citizen working for the common filipino wage.......... It all sounds good when your talking about it, but when you actualy attempt it you will find that you will have nothing but problems. As for finding employment, unless you have a collage degree and lots of experience to go with it you will find that it is impossible to find an american or european company that is willing to hire you..
Your best bet is to save your money for a year or so and then try living in the philippines from 6 months to 1 year.
Do not burn all of your bridges because sooner or later (most times sooner) you will need to go back home.

good luck

you did not specify what are your academic or employment background, or even your age.  if you are familiar with the PRA or philippine retirement authority, you can contact them (just google them or something as i dont have their number) and i'm sure they can help you with your visa or the place you can stay here in the philippines.

i am married to a filipena for 20 years and we would like move to the philippines and to buy a small farm on luzon. we own our home here and would like to buy the farm from the sale of our home. i get 1146 dollars per month for social security dissability. does this sound possible to anyone here? thanks for any info.

It seems you are in great shape to do a lot of things you want by selling a house and drawing social security (which can be direct deposited into most (non local) Philippine Banks.Your income far exceeds that of the common citizen there. Do you plan to sell commercially your crops. You will want to hunt down a trusted buyer and usually they work better with the established locals. Let the housing market make a turn for the better to maximize your return on that investment. My research has taught me to keep a link with your current place and draw money as needed and not keep it all in a peso or dollar account. Depending on your disability, you may need to hire to keep the farm up. Best of luck

I am a British citizen and at the moment I am living in Greece.I am considering moving to the Philippines as my new partner lives there.I am 55 years old and I am looking at buying a house in Cagayan de Oro.My big worry of all is my animals as I have 3 dogs and 3 cats that I want to bring with me.Has anyone transported their pets from any of the european countries to the Philippines,the flying hours and care of my animals is a concern.Are there any requirements for bringing dogs and cats in to the Philippines?
Doug

i have lived in Davao for about 14 months now. To work here with a tourist visa you either need a work visa from Immigration and work permit from Department of Labor. You will not be allowed to take a job that can be filled by a Filipino.
Once your married you can file for a 13(a) Permanent Resident Visa. Once you receive that you can work at any job.
Most jobs pay Filipino wages and most Filipino families cannot survive on that amount.
Some Call Centers will pay a higher salary since you already speak English and can converse better on the phone.
When you move here, have many certified copies of your divorce decree since they require many copies for everything.
As someone else mentioned, it would be better to advise knowing your profession.
Visit my blog for many articles about life here and feel free to email me at [email protected]

Sir,

It's no secret that the world is changing.  Life has become too fast paced, too expensive, more restrictive, and less safe,  It's no secret that the world is changing.  Life has become too fast paced, too expensive, more restrictive, less safe, less clean and worst of all over taxed.  Many people have started searching for that one place where lower taxes and a traditional way of life exists as it did half a century ago.  Fortunately there is still a place where you can Escape the Everyday - it's called Subic Bay Freeport Zone in the beautiful Philippine Islands.

A former American colony, the Philippines has the third largest English speaking population in the world and continues to enjoy a Western inspired standard of living just 12 hours flight from North America.  Subic Bay is on the largest island named Luzon and was designed and built largely by the US Navy who called it home for nearly a century until their massive base closed in 1991.
What that means is superb infrastructure, well maintained roads, old-style houses with big yards, a reliable electricity plant, first-class telephone and high-speed internet services and even the country's only drinkable tap water.  Still things keep getting better with a new superhighway linking Subic to the National Capitol, a multitude of Duty Free shops and entertainment venues, a new cargo ship terminal and even our own international airport.

Yet the environment has not suffered as in other places with lush primary jungle remaining throughout the Freeport, home to wild animal species surrounding a picturesque Bay full of marine life.  Streets and public areas are among the cleanest in the nation with recycle bins and trash cans on every downtown street corner.

Security is rarely an issue thanks to our own Police Force, many of whom once served under the US Navy.  Couple that with a well-equipped Fire Department, modern Western-style Paramedic Ambulance fleet and easily accessible Health Care Services you can relax knowing your personal well being is in good hands.

Education in Subic is second to none with schools catering from pre-school up to Medical Universities and for those looking to continue observing traditional religious services, Subic has numerous churches openly serving your faith denomination.

Most importantly, the Philippines lower cost of living means you not only get more value for your initial property investment but with day to day expenses far cheaper in our Tax-Free Zone your savings will buy more and last longer.  Plus if you are aged 35 or above your residential property purchase or long-term lease allows you a Special Retirement Visa, granting legal immigration status without the need for expensive lawyers or yearly fees. 

All this under an average temperature of 35C in the summer and 27C in the winter to keep you feeling warm and comfortable.

So if you're looking for a better place to live, a place to escape high taxes, raise a family, invest in a more profitable business or enjoy your retirement years it's clear that few places compare to Subic Bay. 

In Subic Bay, Philippines you're not just buying property, you're buying a lifestyle.

Should you have any questions or need to clarify please feel free to contact me anytime at your convenience. 

Thank you very much

Ruby Jane  P. Grueso
Marketing Office
+639064871077
(63-47)252-8752
Email: [email protected]
(moderated: no ads)

There are several things you need to consider before you make the big move.
1. Financial considerations is very important. I understand how it is to go through divorce and most of the time one spouse end up with nothing. Practically speaking, you need to save up again in order for you to survive here. If you can save up to where you can have at least $1500 a month, you can survive with a decent living. Davao is not very expensive, but realize that it is in Mindanao. So, be very careful. The fiancee visa is not that difficult, but they scrutinize every single letter, emails, etc to prove that your relationship is true or something that was done out of getting a visa.
2. Another consideration you need to think of is, does your fiancee prefer to live in the Philippines or in the US? Filipinas seek for boyfriends abroad so that they can go there and be a US Citizen. I am not presuming she is, but it is better to find out now. And the usually, after 5 years they will sponsor their parents, then, their parents will start sponsoring their other kids. I didn't go there for that purpose if you will ask me. I went there because I believed that it was part of God's plan, in fact, I didn't apply for my US citizenship until we ended up deciding to come back here. NOw, we are all here for good.
3. Is she currently working? Does she have family to feed? Please read my blog on worldlinks4u.com/blog]www.worldlinks4u.com/blog for more information. Discuss lengthily all the aspects about taking care of family members.
4. If you send me more information, I can assist you more effectively.

Sincerely,
Pinaymentor

thats going to be tuff

Rich