Single English guy in Riyadh - desperate for answers!!

Hello
I am a single English Engineer guy 32 thinking of moving to Riyadh. I will not be provided with accommodation and will have to live in a flat in Riyadh. The work place will have 1 or 2 Saudis and 2 Egyptians - i.e. nice guys but not Westerners.

[1] Is it critical to be in a compound?
[2] What kind of social life would I have?
[3] What can I do to occupy myself when I come home at night?
[4] How can I meet people

Please help
Thanks

Hi Danny....

Compound life is important but then again ur at work all day and the only time you would want to do something is on your weekend or after work at night which you could easily just go to any embassy gigs or compound parties.....

best way to meet ppl is by getting in touch with the embasssy so you know all the happenings going on in the city....

Im struggling to adapt with the move back here and im half saudi....but im sure once you know the right people you will be fine

In terms of recreational you will probably get bored unless you meet a few expats who live on compounds.....you definately wont be able to bring girls over to a flat here in saudi whereas if you lived in a compound it woiuld have been ok

Thanks, appreciate the info.

Any recommendations on accommodation would be great such as service apartments etc (short term) and normal apartments (long term)

Compounds are hard to get on account of the massive demand at present and the 6+ month waiting lists that are getting longer by the day. Ideally a private apartment oir a furnished one would be the best. There are plenty across town.

Hiya,

Try Seder Village,sedervillage.com , I think they have availability.
They also have a motel which could serve as a furnished appt. to start off, costs as much as a hotel room I think.

Good luck and hope you enjoy it here in Riyadh.