New to Ho Chi Minh

Hi guys,

My husband and I just moved in to Saigon. I got transferred with my job and work in the hospitality industry.

I am from Slovakia, my husband is English and we have just moved in to Saigon after 3 years in Dubai where I was transferred from Europe.

We will be grateful for any tips on life in Vietnam, dos and don'ts, networking tips, business groups, etc

Hope to meet some of you soon and thank you in advance.

Trevor and Michaela

HCM is not very different from Dubai or Western cities. Traffic follows European against the British left hand side lanes. More oriental inclined. A bit behind the times generally. However, you can find the latest gadgets. People are a bit laid back and more relaxed. It will get done.. sooner or later.
Major problem to watch out is petty street crimes like SNATCH THIEVES on motorbikes and PiCK POCKETS.
Otherwise, a smile is usually returned with a warmer smile from their eyes.

Thank you!

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum pls]

hi
Im local living in Hcm, if u need any help plse let me know

Hi,

I'm a Vietnamese boy and would like to make friends with foreigners coming to our country. We can help together to know more about cultures. Contact me if you need a friendly friend here!

My Skype: alex.nguyen2606
My yahoo: vannguyen26689

Dubai is utterly dependent on expats to run the system. its more relaxed over here and time is rubberised. Forget about terms like 'efficiency' and work-oriented, as these do not matter so much. But whether a relationship with work mates will deepen over time matters more. Unless they have been trained, only a minority understand Western ways of doing things and thus, they will do things their own way, as there is almost zero accountability. you'll see in course of time. There is a website called InterNations and you will find lots of activities organized for expats through their networks. Happy hunting...

A survey of VN organisations found that one of the things many liked about working with Westerners is that Westerners are focused on results and getting things done.

One of the things many didn't like about working with Westerners is that Westerners are focused on results and getting things done.

Hope this helps!

nice to meet you! very welcome to ho chi minh city, viet nam.

My name lan anh. I'm vietnamese. if you want looking for ... viet nam, you can ask me.

my english limid , hope you don't mind

take care

lan anh

this is my email: [email protected]

Hi Trevor and Michaela,

My name is Tam, I have lived in Ho chi minh city for 6 years. 6 years ago, I moved from Quang Ngai province to Ho chi minh city to study University. Then I have worked until now. So I can share something about Ho chi minh city to you. Can we meet and talk together? I intend to take IELTS examination at the end of this year so I wanna meet foreigners to improve my English speaking, and you can know about Ho chi minh city from local (06 years, hi hi) like me.

Hope see you soon.
Tam

Hi there! I am Joe Maio from [moderated]

Thank you for the offer, we live in InterCon Asiana Residences, so all sorted.

Thank you again.

Hi Trevor and Michaela,

I'm Blair, nice to meet you and very happy to hear that you landed in HCMC. Welcome! :)
How are you doing? Hope u all well.
How do you enjoy Saigon so far?
Do u guys like the city? I know it's gonna be a bit weird at first, but after i wish u guys can settle down soon. Do you get the phone number yet?
What do you usually do after working hour? I work in D1, if you don't mind, we can drop by having a drink after work. Please do not hesitate to contact me, i'm absolutely willing to help you as much as i can.
Drop me an email at [email protected]
Cheers

Blair