Living expenses for family

Hi Ajay
i am planning to move to Lagos with wife and son 5 yr old.
In a Diagnostic Centre By Mecure at Lekki

can u help what are living expenses for family for a month with non veg diet.
security concerns about area and company offering 75000 nigerian currency/month for local expenses.

company providing fully furnished accomodation,maid, driver, cook

Hi Arun gupta,

Welcome to Expat.com!

I have created a new topic as from your post on the Lagos forum for better visibility.

I would suggest you to check other threads on cost of living in Lagos.

Best of luck,
Christine

75000 naira is less than $ 500 dollars per month. If you are living single then u can manage somehow with that $ 500 p.m. as food and groceries. Else u need at least $ 2000 as local expenses.

I suggest with such an amount you may face a very tight budget due to the location of the accommodation. It is a very expensive area. But l will advise that the money will not fuel your car or Generator set in your house. As for your shopping do it in SHOPRITE. They have everything you need there. If you do your shopping there you may scale through but with tight prudence. GOOD LUCK!

Try this website for cost of living numbeo.com

It all depends on what you are used to. Some of my Nigerian co-workers make less than half of that amount, and they survive. On the other hand, some people complain of "powerty" with 5 times that amount. I am in Abuja, which is insanely expensive. Company provides the accommodation. I get more than 75K in local allowance (no the salary), but I am pretty sure I would survive on 75K even in Abuja, if I spend wisely (keep in mind, house is paid by the company). However, if your employer doesn't pay the house/appartment rent, you will not be able to live here for a month on 75k... even alone. Add to it school fees (ranging from 20,000 naira to well over a 500,000 per term (approx. 3 months), it would be extremely difficult, if not impossible, for you to meet month's end.

Arun,

The typical Indian family expense in Nigeria is around 15K/week considering the accommodation, power, petrol, gas and water are provided by your employer. Non Veg is not expensive.

What is variable is how frequently you eat/drink out and how much alcohol U buy. Alcohol is cheaper than in India in supermarkets so ...

To give an estimate raw vegetable packets are around 200 naira.Tomato/potato is around 200/300 naira/kg. Basmati Rice/Aata is 2100/5kg pack, full chicken 1300 naira, oil 800 naira for 1 liter bottle, bread 240 naira, cheese slice(10 pack) 700 naira, maggi 140 naira for single pack

Using these numbers you can make your own estimates. Most Indians shop in park & shop/Spar. In other smaller stores U get everything that's sold in India.

cheers
=Amit

Very correct figures. I guess I am lucky for being married to a Nigerial lady amd she does most of the shopping on the local markets, where goods are usually (but not always!) a lot cheaper.