Social life in Mauritius for Expats

Hi guys,

I might be moving to Mauritius in 2 months but before making a final decision I would like to know how easy it is to meet expat.

I'm a social person and I would like to build a new friends network once there. Is there a proper night life with pub, bars, cafes ?
I'm not a party animal or night clubber. Only a guy who like meeting people for a drink and a good laugh...

thanks for letting me know. I will feel a bit lonely and I would like to know how easy it is top get rid of that loneliness...

thank you very much.

Regards

Arnie

Hello Arnie.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Aurélie

thanks aurelie

Hi Arnie,

so I'm originally from London....have spent the past 10yrs working and living in New York, and my wife, 3yr old and I just moved to MRU last month.

TBH with you mate, the "social scene" here is not all that.

I'm used to the "high life" so to speak, and a buzzing city life (of course i realized MRU wasn't going to be closed to London or NYC!), but MRU has that "vibe" that missing here.

I live in Grand Baie that is supposed to that the "Best" clubs and bars etc on the island....and it's not actually that great!

the best place that i've found is LeSuffern on Friday evenings after work....it's a cool, young hip professional crowd.....best night on the island!

hey man,mauritius is a paradise you can visit in tamarin at santosha refuge where expats,artist,musicians meet there every sunday its an international community =)cheers man!

jungle onyx

Hi Arnie,

No sure whether you have already made the big decision.

Below was what i told myself before moving to Mauritius.

Some expats come alone to Mauritius like me.  Therefore, I am not alone.  It just a time issue to get in touch with other people.

Compare to well developed countries, it may not be as exiciting as they are.  But there are still some attaction points for foreigners.  If not, Mauritius won't be a faviour place for thousand and thousand tourist each year.

Set some target for myself to achieve in order not to focus on the "loneliness".  (i.e learning French / Creole or playing sports etc).  BTW, i need to take up driving license again, as it is too convenient in Hong Kong & Singapore. :)

Last but not least, no matter how, it will be an open eye experience.  You can decide to go home after 3 month if you really can't adapte the environment.

Take Care

Cheers,
Esther

Mauritius is not well known for night life.

I would not recommend to walk on the roads alone at night