Moving to Rijeka

I'm an American living in London...my wife is Croatian and we're thinking of moving to Rijeka, where her family lives...any thoughts on the job situation there? If we come, our plan is for my wife to work first while I look after our 2-year daughter but I'll want to work at some point...Are things improving? Will joining the EU help things? Thanks

Jobs are really scarce right now.  Be sure to really network with your family and friends about any possible employment opportunities because often it is who you know that'll get you the interview.  Not sure what you do for a living, but you might consider finding work online in your home country and telecommuting...lots of expats do that.

Not sure what the work visa requirements are for americans (I'm Canadian) but have a look at the government website that explains all the visa requirements BEFORE you come here (www.mup.hr   they should have some explanations in English).  Lots of people think that if you marry a Croatian you don't need work visas, etc.  That used to be true, but they changed the law back in 2000, and now, if you marry a Croatian, you need to first get a temporary residency permit from your home country, then reapply each year for 5 years at which time you'll be able to apply for permanent residency.  It is complicated.  And they keep changing the laws here, so it is best to check with your local Croatian embassy/consulate and find out what rules will apply when you plan on coming here.

Another place to consider looking for work or self-employment opportunities is with the EU.  I don't have the links, but just do a search for EU/Croatia and see what sorts of jobs they offer, and also check out what sorts of development grants/loans they are offering.  They have a bunch and one might suit you.  RIght now they have something called IPARD which is a development program for new EU entrants.  In Croatia they are really into developing tourism, agritourism, agriculture, etc.  It might be worth a look.

One other thing to consider for revenue opportunities:  buying property, fixing it up and renting it out, especially for tourism.  Real estate prices are at an all-time low right now and you might be able to get a fixer-upper (or maybe even something completely done), and then rent now and sell later on.
Note that real estate prices are INSANELY expensive here. 

That's all I can think of right now.  I don't check this blog too often...if you've got more questions, check out my blog (listed below) and leave me a comment and I'll get back to you.

Best of luck
bok bok,
(oh, and start learning the language ASAP!)
Gabriella

Gabriella,

Thanks so much for the reply...interesting about the visa issue...I'm also a UK citizen so maybe that will help make things easier.

My wife was in the travel biz and is looking to get something in the UK and do it from Croatia...additionally, we are thinking of buying a flat on Krk to rent out.

I was involved in finance, trading stocks specifically...good point about looking into opportunites with the EU.

What was your blog? didn't see the address.

Thanks much and please do stay in touch.

Hi,
my blog is at zagrebdiaries dot blogspot dot com

Hi John,

Actually you'll manage with English in Rijeka. My American friend who's living in Rijeka for two years now figured out that language is too hard for him and English works just fine.
Since your wife is Croatian with family here you shouldn't have any major troubles settling in.
Concerning employment for you, if it's possible I suggest checking jobs with foreign companies, however you can always send your CV to banks based in Croatia. If you land a job in your branch it should be above average income so it's still good.

If you have any specific questions about Rijeka, feel free to ask. I'm from Rijeka and still living here and if I can help I'm glad to lend a hand.

Thanks so much...appreciate the guidance, both seem like good suggestions...my wife is very concerned about how bad things are there, at least that's what everyone is telling her...I, being an optimistic American, think there are always opportunities for those willing to search them out and work hard...we'll see...I'll let you know how we get on

Best,
John

Well,.to be very honest with you John, considering the facts here,.I would advise you that its better living in London.
The economy of croatia is declining so far, the conception of democracy here is far from what you will expect.
However,the Istrian region is quite nice,.specially for the kids because its not tainted as in London. But I lived in London for the past 2 years,and it will be more better to live outside London,just outside the Borough.
With the salary you will be receiving in Uk,you could easily travelled to Croatia at any time but if you are going to work here and then travelled elsewhere,it will be really hard my friend.
Judging as my own experience, stick to the United Kingdom. Croatia is great for holidays time.
I hope this will help you.

Thanks much, I appreciate your honesty....I do believe that going some place on holiday and living there full time are two totally different things...

I've always found it safe and the people are all very lovely...my wife does remind me how corrupt it is...at the end of the day, I know it's not America and that things run differently, but to be honest, things aren't that great in the US or UK either...

The world has become a very uncertain, and in some cases, dangerous place...Is there nowhere left to go??

Best,
John

For best quality of life you should have a job abroad while living here.
To get info about current job openings in Primorsko-goranska county you can check these sites with your wife:
burzarada.hzz.hr - state run site
moj-posao.net
posao.hr
and select the county.

Either it's door-to-door jobs with no secure income or managing positions which require experience.

From what I've picked about financial markets you aren't necessarily tied to geographic location.

Also as CupOfCoffee mentioned check out the grants, either by EU or even Croatia. Your wife might qualify as unemployed person.
For small businesses state is giving 18000 HRK which covers 10 months of benefits one must pay as owner. It covers health insurance and retirement fund. Also family members are covered with health insurance and you are allowed to work as a household member without any formal contract.
Good accountant will manage to find every single loophole how to keep your costs at minimum for maximum personal gain :D

Thx....my wife has a few interviews with travel co's that she can do remotely from Crotia (we hope)...we'll check out those sites, thx much for the help.

johnmeyers wrote:

Thanks much, I appreciate your honesty....I do believe that going some place on holiday and living there full time are two totally different things...

I've always found it safe and the people are all very lovely...my wife does remind me how corrupt it is...at the end of the day, I know it's not America and that things run differently, but to be honest, things aren't that great in the US or UK either...

The world has become a very uncertain, and in some cases, dangerous place...Is there nowhere left to go??

Best,
John

Don't mention it my friend,yes you are right,the world in a whole is indeed very unstable at the moment. Maybe Canada remains the Eldorado left on this earth.
I have been living here for more than one year,and people here can be as lovely,and very sociable but the fact is that as you are a family man and i believe you want the best for your daughter. Here will be great in terms of security and moral values that can be given transferred easily to the next generation without the influence of peers groups. In uk and us,it is more difficult job, but maybe it worth the risk as the your decision will contribute to the future of your family. Kids here are great compared to every place I have been,but somehow they do not care  about the country welfare,specially the young adults. They surely live in their own bubbly world.

I hope the above views, as well as the comments of the others people will help you better to make a decision.

warm regards
Naushad

Hello John.

I came by your post by accident and saw that you are looking for help and opinions of Rijeka as a town to live in. If you are still looking for info there are a few things you may be interested in...

First of all- Most people here are fluent in Italian and English, where Italian is recognised as second official language with full legal approval when used in documents etc. So in other words, many non-Croatians live here. Just as Ernest pointed out, you would do fine with English here.

Secondly- This is mostly a transit city, industry suffered heavy blows during the War of independence and even heavier during this recession.
But there is an upside- The Rijeka port is being transformed from government owned port to privately owned port, and as such- it will be sold to foreign investors. Contact Adriatic Gate Rijeka to find out more( tried posting the url but got blocked for doing so). There are a few more global companies with subsidiaries in Rijeka, but this one is the fastest growing lately and as such- the safest bet to get a job. Others include SGS, various offshore Oil Rig companies and a few more...

Third- there are far more rainy days here than in London, with 3 times as much percipitation per year. Keep in mind that if you want sunshine all year round, this is not a place for you

Fourth- if buying a house, try to find one in the suburbs. They are well connected and no more than 30 minutes drive from the city center. If raising a child, it would be beneficial to have a wide open space and not much traffic in front of your house. The city center is extremely dense.

If I can provide any kind of further assistance, feel free to ask.

Cheers

Hi John,
Just saw your post. I am originally from the Caribbean and  have been living near Opatija for the past 11 years. I would say the only reasons why i am here is my husband who is croatian and the fact that so far i feel safe here, compare to my homeland with a very high crime rate, its a good place to raise kids.

Jobwise, its very dim...the unemployment rate is high and many  people who are employed have not received salaries in months.I know many of them,they stay in hopes of getting a salary soon and because the company is still paying their benefits.Salaries are also quite low. It would be best to find work with a private,or foreign company as suggested by others. Or even stay in your field working the stock market on line. One Croatian friend just moved to America and works the stock market on line from his home.

I dont speak the language fluently, i actually speak to everyone in English and that works for me, the older folk however dont speak english, some  speak Italian or German.  If you want permanent residency however you will have to sit a language exam.
At the moment since we joined the EU everything is up in the air, and new rules being formed etc.

Weatherwise i would say its pretty warm, winters are usually mild on this end but the past few winters brought a few snowfalls.This last winter had the most snowfall I have ever seen in the 11 years i am here.Weather patterns are changing everywhere, and so winters are often rainy and very damp,much like the english winters. However when the sun comes out its really out in all its glory.

Anyway,good luck with your decision.

i love  Rijeka good place..good ppl

Dear all

I am considering moving to Rijeka with my wife and 2 boys, 5 and 7 years old, we are all English and don't speak a word of Croation yet!

Do you have any idea on school options for English children there, I know Zagreb has international schools but that's too far. A local school would be ok if they teach in English or can support English children.

Any answers or contacts would be graetfull appreciated.

Cheers
Trevor

English is thought is all schools now, but all other subjects are in Croatian.  A friend had to send his family back to Phillipines as there were no english schools in the Rijeka area where he is based in his job, and another friend is homeschooling her kids, though they seem to speak Croatian fluently they were not accepted in the schools here, reason being that their croatian was not fluent enough for school.
But you never know, kids are like sponges, they pick up the language fairly quickly.

I am considering moving to Rijeka.  Are there ex pats living there?
I have a clinic that is established worldwide and would like to open an office there.
It would be a branch of my US based company.  Would there by grants or loans available for
helping us base there?

We are anxious to learn more about arts and cultural opportunities for a rich life there.
Can you fill me in?
Thank you for this!!

Connie Lane Chrsity

Yes there are many expats living in Rijeka, quite a few americans like yourself as well.

Thank you.  I sent you a message, asking you more about professional women living in Croatia.  Please let me know your thoughts!!