Planning to buy house in cebu for 1million peso

leebeme wrote:

I do not disagree with you at all and i truly love those sayings, but i have always been a fool that must fail for himself first! I am not going to do the option i gave. i am having my wife buy it! This is also the first time i got married and i may be wrong to trust her, but I love her and again I have to learn the hard way!

One other quotI  i like, "you only fail when you give up"

leebeme
I am an expatriate.
I am American, and I am now living in the Philippines. I am currently in lapu-lapu.

About me
First off, I never want to leave but i am in March. I will be back and will be gitting perminent residency visa so i never have to leave again. I never know what to put about me so ask and i will update!
My birthday is on 24 December, I was born in 1982

leebeme
Re: The American Dream
American Dream?

serve for america in the military, full 4 years honerable service, 70% disabled, and get a pention for the rest of my life!!!!! For reality, dont get paid enough to survive on my own, live as a berden on my family, never find love because of my situation!!

Amarican Dream is what forgeners have when they want to live here!

The truth is i have found more freedom and peace in another country! My Amarican Dream is to never go back to Amarica!

Sorry for the downer

Mr. Leebeme,---- Let me state "we" are talking about housing and how foolish it can be to buy one for someone else. Wife, loved one, etcetera, "they" ain't you.... They are someone else.

Dear brother, I too am a veteran, the "All Americans", double (AA) patch-stamp, 82nd Airborne, 319th Division; then on to Special Forces; I know this is cyberspace and (all) can be, what they want to be, within certain limits, but it's true... my military service, my DD214 form is in agreement with me on this.

You do strike me as just a wee bit naive, OK, let's call it angrily naive. But still naive.

Love, money, Filipina's, and houses; are an intoxicating mix! The volatility index, is well above that of c4 plastic explosives.   Please note the houses comes in last, but in [this case] it's definitely not least. Love and money, is responsible for a whole lot of homicide in the world....are there any out there reading this, that disagrees?

It seems, at least from your writing that being a fool ain't all that bad... As long as "the fool" had, has, good intentions. I'll kindly tell you that this does not make sense, not even pretty good sense.... It gets worse, to wear I'm a fool on one's sleeve as a fool's badge of honor, well, it is simply unbecoming isn't it. When the fool takes the title of "a fool's fool", yes one does have to (think) about what's being said. What's the meaning? "A fool's fool?"

I've found administrator's here on this site deplore this, (thinking), so you better read this quick, before they hit the delete button....

Maybe the "fool's fool" statement is more easily understood, if using a different frame of reference. For instance, the statement "a man's man", is easy to understand, and then apply.  A man's man, would be like a real man, John Wayne, Steve McQueen, Arnold... and the like. So you can now easily enough see, that a fool's fool, is a (real fool), the kind that so many in the world are only able to dream about, because fools of this order of magnitude, are not easily found.  To clarify!

Order of Magnitude: Orders of magnitude are generally used to make very approximate comparisons. If two numbers differ by one order of magnitude, one is about ten times larger than the other. If they differ by two orders of magnitude, they differ by a factor of about 100.

So just to keep things simple, a 'fool's fool', would be a fool ten times greater than the ordinary everyday Johnny come lately run of the mill fool.

There are those who read some of these post I've posted, and dismiss what I say as maybe being trivial or "OFF TOPIC" but they are not, there is nothing trivial written here. As money is the sustenance of life... I didn't make it this way, you did not make it this way, but it (is) this way. I would encourage you greatly, massively, by 'order of magnitude 3, which is one-thousand times greater than 'order of magnitude' 1, to embrace this idea; that money is the sustenance of life... And act appropriately.

As to the kind and gentle bloggers above who have given warning, but acquiesced; to the toxicity of love's elixirs. I will kindly tip my hat to them, given, that we are all aware the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

About "love" and great quotes.

"Love will find a way", whoops, my mistake, that's "life will find a way" Jurassic Park. What else?
"Love is blind",
"Love is a many splendored thing",
The Power of Love: "Whenever you reach for me, I'll do all that I can", Celine Dion, maybe the most realistic line ever written about love...

**Love is a hormonal secretion** Spoken by Jack Nicholson, in the movie Prizzi's Honor.

The quintessence of love --- a hormonal secretion. Hum...yep, I think this it, Nicholson has found it. That's both, above the waist, and below, by the way. Nicholson, did not use the word 'quintessence' in the movie, it's my addition, so I better describe it. That way I'll understand what I'm saying and know what I'm talking about...;)

Quintessence: The pure, highly concentrated essence of a thing.

OK, once again... I think a point has been made.

And it's time to "nutshell" this, as to adhere to the virtues of "Minimalism", which is a (theory)... and I do hold it in very high regard, please; you should read it, it's very useful. But like everything it does have a place, and fools, love, and money, and yes, even houses, is not a good place to go lacking....

But for good old times' sake.... I'll acquiesces as my kind bloggers have above, however still staying on the theme of fools, love, Filipina's and HOUSING, administrators.

Saying only this!

A fool and his money soon go separate ways.

Happy trails, happy travels,

Sincerely,

RR__

Francis,
   Nothing like a fresh dose of reality. Thanks...

OK just to put it into perspective.. Ramblingroads is sort of right yet I have lived here for quiet sometime and have met guys that have been here for 20 to 30 odd years.

They have many houses and properties and business's between them.
SO it is not all bad.
For every horror story there is there is also a good vibe story just lets be honest which ones get more air play.

I am not knocking ramblingraods but in all honesty mate I come across guys always all friggin doom and gloom and this and that and horror story after horror story.
Guess what... the same thing happens in your and my country so in saying that never invest more then u are happy to walk away from.
Never buy unless u love the area.
I personally have not bought here yet( I say yet as well I am not a seer nor can i tell the future).. the reason being is that I move around a lot. A hell of a lot as one mans ideal locations is not another mans.
Not only that but a love affair with a place can be fleeting. You could have a great place then neighbors from hell move in( been there here to many times and it happens quiet a lot).

Someone might take a strong misliking to you or you might have the local boys forever hitting on your partner which makes her uncomfortable and you down right mad.

What rights do non filipino's have here>>>>>>....

answer to that million dollar question is none zip diddly squat so in saying that you have protect yourself.

Their is no platoon here for back up, there is no safety net for when u fall.
The only person you can rely on is yourself no matter how much you love and trust your wife you are and always should be in this country the only person you can nor will trust.

OK so now the light at the end of the tunnel. I have met hundreds of guys that are happy as a pig in mud here. Have bought houses, raised children and done very well for themselves here.
I have met hundreds of guys that the complete opposite has happened and well in all honesty as much as they can say this and that it has been there own bloody faults.

Three simple rules here to live on and go by.

1. Do not do anything you would not do at home here.
2. U know yourself and that is the only person u can trust.
3. Never spend or have more here invested then you are prepared to walk away from.

Always refer to these three rules and u will be golden....
there is a rule number 4 yes.....

Always have an exit plan...and it is not a rule it is just what you have to do.
We,you and us are all transient here.
This is not our country( and you will be told that many times during your stay here, usually not to your face).
Just use your brain. Money is money and yes as RR has said above people kill for it.
90% of deaths here are relationship related for foreigners. Or jealousy or both.

U really have ti remember most locals here would do anything to get out of this country...just consider that before you invest here.

First off, thank you guys for the positive feed back earlyer. Awesome, Thanks especialy!

RR: wow, not being cridical over what you wrote and thanks for your thoughts!

My questions, I understood how you feel about trusting people threw out your rambling, but i do not understand why you had to bring prior service into this? Why bring my post from another part of this sight into this? Was it to show that i have a negitive side to me or just because of service or where you simply trying to insult me on being "angrily naive"?

Before i go any more, let me say that my hat is off to you for your service and the service of anyone anywhere!!

I am not upset at my service and i am proud of it. I do wish that i might have done more then i did, but glad i am alive after my tour of service. I understand that our way of life through out the world has been paved in blood and only threw that blood are we the way we are as a world. (i say it this way because so many have died on every side and regardless who they where, they paved that road too)((respect to all))

My anger is at the way that our goverment in amarica can turn there back on our service members, but as you said, money is sustenance of life and the goverment must save every penny every way they can. It is sad that even if a prior service member can not walk, if they are not 100% disabled according to the VA, there family will never see the benifits and that veteran is not alowed to shop at the PX or use the services provided to service members/retiree's. HOWEVER this anger has nothing what so ever to do with buying a house in the philippines!!!

Now to the subject at hand! Why is it you think this is a negitive forum? You dont have to be negitive! Example: i got screwed buying a 2nd hand motorcycle here and paid too much, but i did not have to wait 2 months for regeristration and the cost was negligable so it worked out. It never has to be all gloom and doom.

On to the money side of things! You are 100% correct that money is what makes the world go around and people do die every day over it, but it is not what makes my life happy! Finishing my father inlaws house is! making it so the 10 people under that roof have a place to shit instead of going outside, that makes me happy! Being married to my wife and waiting 30 years to find what I always wanted in a wife makes me happy! I am not saying that she is perfect or is the most sexy women on earth, but she is what i wanted in a wife and for that, each day i am happy!

So if this family that makes me happy and buying land and houses to insure our (the family) continued prosparity leads to my doom, know for sure that i died complete and without a heavy heart because I helped others that made my horamones race to this feeling of love!

BTW
our world around us is procived in horomones and eletrical impulses into our brain, but if we do not CHOOSE to alow them to take hold of us, we are dead inside our own skin!

Nutshell:
Thankyou for your insight, but i believe we will simply have to disagree on how we look at the world, but this is not a bad thing because it takes all types to make this world the great place it is!

Negative Forum?

Doom????... <-> LQQKING?
&
Gloom?

Holycow. I'll get back to this thread soon, (I do have a day job), and we can dissect and or tease out some of this / these [reactionary misconceptions].

Super briefly, foreign fools in the Philippines is universal.... I've yet to meet (one) who has not felt the foolishness air about and of oneself.  As I laid out quite clearly above, it (boils) down to degree.

By the way did you get over to this thread today?

"Filipinas who develop a bad attitude when they marry a foreigner"

Thatawesomeguy wrote:

OK just to put it into perspective.. Ramblingroads is sort of right yet I have lived here for quiet sometime and have met guys that have been here for 20 to 30 odd years.

They have many houses and properties and business's between them.
SO it is not all bad.
For every horror story there is there is also a good vibe story just lets be honest which ones get more air play.

I am not knocking ramblingraods but in all honesty mate I come across guys always all friggin doom and gloom and this and that and horror story after horror story.
Guess what... the same thing happens in your and my country so in saying that never invest more then u are happy to walk away from.
Never buy unless u love the area.
I personally have not bought here yet( I say yet as well I am not a seer nor can i tell the future).. the reason being is that I move around a lot. A hell of a lot as one mans ideal locations is not another mans.
Not only that but a love affair with a place can be fleeting. You could have a great place then neighbors from hell move in( been there here to many times and it happens quiet a lot).

Someone might take a strong misliking to you or you might have the local boys forever hitting on your partner which makes her uncomfortable and you down right mad.

What rights do non filipino's have here>>>>>>....

answer to that million dollar question is none zip diddly squat so in saying that you have protect yourself.

Their is no platoon here for back up, there is no safety net for when u fall.
The only person you can rely on is yourself no matter how much you love and trust your wife you are and always should be in this country the only person you can nor will trust.

OK so now the light at the end of the tunnel. I have met hundreds of guys that are happy as a pig in mud here. Have bought houses, raised children and done very well for themselves here.
I have met hundreds of guys that the complete opposite has happened and well in all honesty as much as they can say this and that it has been there own bloody faults.

Three simple rules here to live on and go by.

1. Do not do anything you would not do at home here.
2. U know yourself and that is the only person u can trust.
3. Never spend or have more here invested then you are prepared to walk away from.

Always refer to these three rules and u will be golden....
there is a rule number 4 yes.....

Always have an exit plan...and it is not a rule it is just what you have to do.
We,you and us are all transient here.
This is not our country( and you will be told that many times during your stay here, usually not to your face).
Just use your brain. Money is money and yes as RR has said above people kill for it.
90% of deaths here are relationship related for foreigners. Or jealousy or both.

U really have ti remember most locals here would do anything to get out of this country...just consider that before you invest here.

"" I am not knocking ramblingraods but in all honesty mate I come across guys always all friggin doom and gloom and this and that and horror story after horror story.""

I don't mean to sound dismissive, but your post say differently.... "In all honesty mate", you are very consistently, advising, against, buying a house or starting up a business of any sort... in the Philippines. 

I've not read one of your post in a while, because you've not posted for a while. But a very consistent theme, of yours is, *Don't just bloody don't do it*, and then you go into the story line of being here for a long time, constantly moving around, and knowing many people, etcetera...

Writing things down on a public forum one leaves a trail, it's there, it's available, for all to see. For people like me a voracious reader, by any stretch, or whatever one would call it. I do [read a lot], I also have a fairly good memory; and, I am able to "quote lines" from your post that I've not read in months... When I'm sober of course. One can't really expect a non-sober person to have a stellar memory, but since I only drink on the "blue moon" it's not really a problem that I feel is necessarily in need of fixing. But [ambiguity is a problem] for people like me Mate. And it's what forces me to write.

I do value knowledge, and experience, so you're probably more traveled than I... but on the subject I will say my last (two) passports, I've had to have (extra pages) put in both; because all of the previous pages are covered with stamps from other countries, this is common for those who consistently travel. As to moving about, around, in the Philippines, I've done a considerable amount of that too, all "three" major islands, oh the Visayas; by way of jet-plane, propeller-plane, ferry, pumpboat, "motor"-generic term for motorcycle or scooter, motor-tricycle, pedal-tricycle, and jeepney's. Taxies are too easy, skip those.

Still, one must acknowledge that changing one's mind is always a self-option. Simply because someone post's a theme over and over, it does not necessarily mean they believe it. Or maybe they simply evolve on their thinking about a subject or situation. Evaluate and re-evaluate and decide, that what had previously been thought as foolish, or imprudent at minimum, takes on different meaning, and thus requires different thinking.  I personally think it's an intelligent approach, because one has already waded through much of the things that are problematic.

I hadn't thought of myself, as being "negative" nor "doom and gloom".  Critique? Yes! I suppose so. I can see why one would or could say such, but the piercing of hearts is not my intent or goal. Hard rigorous though about a situation is my goal... On investments... even with benevolent love on the table, I am not likely to go with the flow, when I see swift dangerous currents, I point them out. Going with the flow, is "group think" in general, it's easy because there's not much thinking involved, it allows all to pat each other on the back, and bask in the warm glow. I prefer on {investments} to go where it's uncomfortable, I think there should be tension, and a necessary uneasiness. Yes, it's their blood and treasure... at risk, not mine, still, should I / we ignore the all to frequent possible perils? 

Forcing someone to think through unpleasant scenarios is useful, perhaps uncomfortable, but useful... It's not "doom and gloom" that's reactionary flailing.  The reason *critique* is useful, it requires putting down the TV remote and having to get up off the lazy back-side, to change the channel. One becomes much more judicial in their choices. If it helps someone great, if it don't help them, the least, that usually happens is some (degree)* of self-evaluation and self-reflection. As always when one is approaching a "cliff face" in life, one better look before he leaps.  Think....it's not as easy as we've been told.

Happy trails, happy travels,

Sincerely,

RR__

we are licensed real estate broker. love to help you if you need options :)

Hello to the original poster.

It's been a year since you started this thread.  Were you able to find a house for 1 million pesos?  I'm curious if such prices do exist in the Philippines.  What is a 1 million peso property like?

In cebu, we have very affordable condo where you can buy 1M.... but i think it rose up to 1.2M.. have to check our listing with my partner ;D licensed real estate broker

iceman_reman wrote:

In cebu, we have very affordable condo where you can buy 1M.... but i think it rose up to 1.2M.. have to check our listing with my partner ;D licensed real estate broker

So.. you being a "CPA Lawyer in Cebu" and your partner being a "licensed real estate broker", are you on here to offer expats a list of condos for P1.2M with TCT?  Do your listings include CCT titles?  If so, why not state as such on this forum from the start?

This type of unclear offerings or vagueness in your promos annoys me to no end.  Are you here to actually 'help expats or to generate income via an unsuspecting expat making a deposit/attempting a purchase on a TCT property?', becomes a real concern.

Note:  I would think most expats here would be very interested in your "stated track record" on how long it takes/took the expat buyer (you or your partner has helped) to receive the Deed of Absolute Sale (DOAS) and his/her Condominium Certificate of Title (CCT) from the Registry of Deeds?

Last thought/point:  If you want to see the so called Phil 'atty/brokers' run fast (where a true advocate would stand with you), demand an 'Unilateral Deed of Sale' on any real estate transaction they are offering to "help/guide" you with. This simple deed will remove all the fluff associated with the seller/broker/atty getting higher commissions from you as they manipulate you to pay for fees you should not.  If not, you may find the atty/broker is slanted toward the seller's side as they work hard to get more fees out of the 'foreign buyer' and never to the favor of the expat.  Never trust atty/brokers in this country and NEVER forget the 'Unilateral Deed of Sale' here in the PI.

yes u can. thats why we have what we called property experts. :)

Hi guys,

Sorry I didn't want to open a new topic, I could not find a close answer I was looking for. This seems to be the closes topic to my question..

Does anyone know how much it cost to build a house? Not including the Lot itself.
To be more precise.
I have secured a lot in Talisay with around 287sqm. Now I am thinking and bothering myself what could the actual house cost.. if one floor or two floor.
I am just eager to know because I am planning to move to Cebu end of 2019 or beginning 2020.
I just hope I will find by than a nice and decent Job as I am still looking for one. There comes my next question.
Anyone an Idea what I could expect and need for a salary based on my background and also that I will have in the near future a own house?
My background: half swiss and half filippino, I am engaged with my Fiancée since mid of February.
Unfortunately I cannot come before end of 2019 to Cebu, for vacation only, since I have to finish my study at the university first (business administration) and also finishing the military duty. Currently I am employed as a freight forwarder I made in Switzerland my degree as such at the commercial school.
So based on that, what should I get in Cebu with this kind of background and what would I need. Also the fact that my Fiancée and me will be having our own offspring in the near future (1 or 2 kids).
Would be USD 2000.— enough for the beginning for the two of us, and living in our house? She is also still working, but she wants to change her Job.. which occupies her less.
Could I get at least USD 2000 or maybe even more?

Sorry for asking like super intense..
I am just super precise in my preparation, I don't want to hassle and overcome by headless thinking anything.
I already started to get in touch and submit slightly my CV and my name to the Philippines and also in the Freight Forwarding branch.
But of course I am happy to work in other branches too, since I am studying business administration.

Cheers,
Kevin

vaevictis88

You are not too clear on whether you have already made some vacation trips here in the Philippines.  If you were here , you need to talk to a builder who lives in the area where you plan to build.  In the Philippines, houses can be built from between 1 million and 100 million pesos!    So, without detailed plans, anyone is just guessing at the costs for what you might have in mind.   Over building in your lot location is a serious mistake as well, unless you are moving out of your home in a somewhat horizontal position!
$2000.00 US would be a dream salary here.  $200.00 to $400.00 would be more realistic and you need special skills to be employed here.  In other words, for any regular job, the Filipino will be hired first.  Foreigners employed here with good salaries are mostly employed by foreign owned companies.
Many expats are living here and enjoying the Philippines, but most have monthly incomes (pensions) arriving  from their home country and employment here is a secondary issue.   
I wish you well in your future plans..

For 1 million pesos you can't buy a lot her in Cebu city.. Unless you go outside cebu into the province or an underdeveloped area in Cebu City.
Minimum rate for a small town house or apartment is 2 to 3 million pesos.

@ vaevictis88,

The "cost to build" question has been touched on a few times over the years.  It is nearly impossible to answer this question without the potential home owner stating more on build quality, location and build materials desired.  An expat also needs to be real focused on how things are done here in the PI and at what level that person reaches a "comfort" zone on any build.

Examples include but are not limited to:

- What is the concrete mix ratios you want them to use vs. what the locals will do if not watched?
- What is the rebar size and quantity you want them to use vs. what the locals will use if not watched?
- What is the availability of "Jack block" vs. the local smaller concrete blocks that are of extremely poor quality and will be used if not watched?
- What is your position on one solid foundation pour vs. the floor being poured separately from the wall foundations?
- What is your relationship with a local city official that approves your plains vs. what the local connections that will get an inferior plan approved that assists a relative or friend of the official?   
- What is your plan for a septic tank/leach line (not under the house) vs. what the locals tendency to locate the tank directly under the CR?
- What is you plain for setbacks vs. the local trend of building a potion of the home's outer wall(s) on the property line? 
- Have you confirmed if your lot in Talisay is not part of a flood zone, flooded and or landslide area and if so, what are your plans to elevate your home?  Have you seen the news from 2017 on the 5 Barangays that flooded in Talisay last year?  Source:  https://www.sunstar.com.ph/article/165611

As you answer the above questions and many more, it will be at that point that a clear cost estimate will be realistic.  Best wishes.

You only build a house in the Philippines if you are there by yourself and have knowledge of construction.
You select the construction material by your self.
Make good price agreements. Everything is loose here. To avoid this get a good bases and only proceed then.

For residential units, from a friend of mine who is also doing construction works, you may initially compute around Php 4,000 to Php 8,000 per sqm depending on the quality of the materials you want to use. :)   hope this helps