American Student in Cairo Looking to Au Pair/Nanny/Babysit

Dear Cairo Families,

My name is Sara Garcia and I am writing concerning part-time child care positions. I am an American student majoring in Global Security and Intelligence Studies/Arabic at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University in Presecott, Arizona. Since August, I have been living in Dokki where I am studying with AMIDEAST and volunteer teaching English at NGO, Bethel Emmanuel. I have previous experience as an au pair and summer camp counselor. My class schedule is Sunday through Thursday morning with most afternoons, evenings, and weekends off. Below please find my short biography:

I grew up on a cattle ranch and wheat farm in Colorado and have two sisters. Upon graduation from high school in 2008, I attended the United States Military Academy at West Point. When I left the academy in February 2010, I vowed to work my way around the world, living with ethnic families in different countries and experiencing their cultures and religions. I began my journey in Wroclaw, Poland, where I began working as an au pair for a Polish family, caring for two girls, ages four and seven. My duties included teaching English, basic childcare, driving girls to and from activities, and other household chores as needed. I chose Poland because the family sounded great, I knew nothing about the language or culture, and thought it would serve as a good base for traveling in Europe. I lived and worked in Poland for five months and was there during the volcanic-ash-over-Europe drama and also when Polish President Lech Kaczynski, his wife, and most of his staff died on their ill-fated flight to Russia. While I was in Poland, I also had a chance to spend a week in Rome and then spent two weeks traveling through Germany, Austria, and the Tuscany region of Italy, all of which was very interesting.

Eventually, I flew to Turkey where I was employed as a deckhand and cook for a Muslim Turkish family and spent three months sailing off the coast of Turkey and Greece on the family's private yacht. In Turkish waters I learned how to sail and tie knots and scrub down a boat. In Greece, I spent entire days snorkeling and exploring ancient sunken cities and hiked across several small islands. I learned that I will always love sailing and the ocean and I love the Turkish people and their way of life. They are an incredibly kind, loving and generous people.

In October 2010, I flew to the South Pacific and the Island of Rarotonga, the Cook Islands, where I signed on for a four month scuba diving internship. While on the island, I was employed by Pacific Divers Rarotonga and ultimately earned my PADI Divemaster Certification while also being a part-time au pair, caring for two girls, ages two and five. Living with the locals, I learned a lot about the people of Rarotonga and Cook Islands culture. While living on Rarotonga, I experienced a bit of the awesome power of the tsunami that swept over the islands of the South Pacific as a result of the recent earthquake in Japan. Though Rarotonga escaped relatively unscathed, the frightening evacuation of our small island in the middle of the night is something I will not soon forget. Upon successful completion of my PADI Divemaster Certification, I spent almost a month exploring New Zealand, Australia and Hawaii before returning home in April 2011.

I spent summer 2012 in the backwoods of Maine working for Forbes America's Priciest Summer Camps pick, Camp Takajo for boys, where I was a counselor, swim instructor, and life guard. I am responsible, honest and hard-working. I have done many things: parachuting, rock climbing, dog-sledding in Canada, white water rafting, kayaking, horseback riding, backpacking, repelling, boxing, gymnastics and military intelligence training. I love to read and write and I love sports, especially rugby and snowboarding. I hope that you will think that I am a good match for you and your child/children. I have a lot of energy and a good sense of humor. I like to play, so I can keep your children busy! I have good morals and I believe I would be a good mentor. I'm excited to begin a new chapter in my life and I'm looking forward to being a part of your family. If you are ready for me, I am ready to go! I hope to hear from you soon.

Very Respectfully,
Sara Garcia

Hi Sara,

If you want a professional advice, I would completely avoid mentioning all this travelling, and life story drama. It is extremely interesting from a human perspective, but it might put you seriously down with employers, who are looking for stability and reliability.

You give the impression to be a brave, adventurous girl, but families are looking for childminding experience and somebody who is will not move away after a few months.

Anyway, how can you keep up with your studies with all this travelling and activities?

Hi Sara,

are u still in Cairo and how much do u charge per hour for baby 1.5  month old

plz reply to me at [email protected]

regards,
Mariam