How does a native Philippine Survive ?

expatfever wrote:

Hi Jove,

You seem like a good person, and I'm not sure what relationship you have with this person, I'm sure it's one built on trust and she's a very genuine person. However as a fellow American I would strongly advise you invest a small amount of money into a private eye company to do some research on her. Many Pinay's prey on foreigners, and have many men supporting them from all over the world.

Dropping a couple bills to do a little research on her might save you a lot of heartache in the future. Just some friendly advise. If you have already done that and the results came back positive, I'm glad you found yourself a good woman in the PI. The way the Filipino's think about your money would shock and astound most American's. We just fart money over here, and since we have so much, and they have so little our money should be in their pocket. Lying to get that money is  something a Filipino wouldn't hesitate to do if they believe it'll get the money in their pocket. 

If you ever do come to the PI, remember helping the poor people begging for money or the friends that don't have a job that ask you for money, isn't helping them, but just reinforcing the negative behavior of asking for help from others. Sink or swim. I've gotten to where I am from my mistakes and problems, by facing them. I'm sure your in the same boat. It's kind of like the teenager that won't leave the nest, sometimes everyone needs a swift kick in the ass. In the PI I wear much bigger shoes for that reason. :)

expatefever, can you put the word "SOME" evrytime you speak negative about Some Filipinos??? Dont speak as a whole! I am one of the many Filipinas who never been interested or prey for your money! we are well educated professionals and we pay our bills from our own sweat, there are scammers yes but could you please use the word "Some" if you will speak about them? these scammers started when  some Dirty Old foriegn men started to have a dream to be with a young Lady.

Jove wrote:

You mean

tuition fee of something like 1,200ps a month.

Tuition fee discount at barangay hall in Davao ?

Is a lie ?

again jove, im a filipina and graduated in a private school but as i know it well, there is no tuition fee every month in any public school, its all free even the books. All they have to do is buy thier school uniforms if its required, pens bags and paper, and of course daily allowance for snacks and transportation but if they just some walks aways from school there is no need for transportation expense.

use your mind jove.

Hello Mylyn,
Well I can not explain why the daughter in Dubai does not take better care of her family, but I will say she went there very quickly and ran into some kind of problem with the visa. My understanding is the employer took advantage of her and she mistakenly went there on a temporary visa, this I am not sure of but has been the root of the problem.

About the mom, my friend, . . how can she work away from home when the two small girls go to school everyday and the boy he goes to the private school and needs tuition and fare and expense there each day, she does all the wash for the family, and so that is 5 mouths to feed three times a day, she has the computer,air conditioner, gas, water, electric, and rent.
She really does not beg from me, I only know her situation.

She has told me she has a friend who owns a chicken farm and I think the sell chicken wholesale, and that she can work there,
but I tell her to wait maybe we can work something out if I can succeed in a business venture here in the U.S.

You seem like a nice person and I appreciate your answer, maybe she does like to have the money but she never ask me much, as I said I don't think there is much choice for her. Is hard for me to care about her live here in the U.S. and live much better than her, I don't mind the money just so I know that it is going to be spent on what she say, and I have expressed the budget she has, and of course as long as I have the money from here to give to her. If it weren't for the four kids I would not be so concerned for her bills, sometime they need school supplies and clothes shoes.

If I had the chance I would change the economy of the country, so that more can have jobs.

Thank you again, .  write to me any time.

Oh my god jove! i think when god showered the earth of kindness,generousity and all the good things you catch it all. she lives in Davao and there are many ways to live, ok lets say you sent her 32,000 for the couple of months or lets say 4 months dude she can have a small grocery store in that amount so it can help her family if its true taht she's poorest among the poor the way she explained her living. But sending her money every month and you havent seen each other in person for 6 years now omg thats hillarious and silly! Are you sure your feelings for her is just a friend? well, i dont think so because it seem you're being blind to see what she really wants from you. All of us here can see what she really wants, look im a filipina and i know how people live in this country yep it is true tht poverty is occupying some places of this country, well actually poverty is in evrywhere,, i will sight an example, the garbage collector in my apartment she lives with her 2 sons the oldest is about 14 and currently on his 2nd year in high school, and the youngest is 12 but just entered in a grade 1 elementary because he got sicked for the past years and up to now he is taking medicine. this garbage collector woman only earns i think 100-150 pesos evry morning sometimes 0 but still she can find ways to feed her kids. Her kids is in public schools so its for free.

Look, the money you're spending for your friend is too much. In your first post you said her son is in public school ( of course its a public school since you mentioned barangay hall). Well, since now you changed it to private school then ok lol private needs a lot of money ( depends of what kind of schools, semi- private or private).

we are all here concerned about you, find a way to have a surprise visit, again "SURPRISE" visit, or hire a detective. Im sorry if im being so mean to your friend its just because many good filipinas were being judged as a gold diggers, scammers and ect. by a lot of foriegn people because of that kind of "trash".

If im really wrong then sorry. But use your head somtimes not just your heart ;)

You need to realize that there are times I visit her home and see the kids via Skype video cam, . . so our relationship is not as
unusual as you may think, . .  So my feelings are not only for her but the kids, who have there own needs and dreams, . . sometimes they need medicine and dentist, Birthday Presents, Christmas Presents, We used to email each other, she from a Cafe, . . I bought her a computer, and now we have Skype and talk twice a day.

I would love to go there, but unfortunately I can not afford that at this time.

If you view the thread you see the budget cost, and they seem realistic to me with four kids there to feed and take care of.

She needs to have some of the comforts of life, even though many do not have that.

As I said if there was a way to improve the whole country I would.

Some think as Americans we are lucky, but the government here turns a blind eye to the rich corporations who make there living
draining us, there are so many who live on the tax payer here that our country is 17 billion dollars in debt. Many of us suffer the consequences of the abuse and oppression.

Sometimes it is not easy to give to her and other friends there but truthfully I enjoy to know that they have some happiness and are well and not hungry.

Jove, you need to do some of your own budgeting.  Save $150 each month by sending her that much less, so in a year you will have $1800 saved, enough to fly round trip to the Philippines plus some extra getting around cash.  Perhaps her children will need to go to public school as a result, but they will survive.  If I only spoke to someone twice a day on Skype I could be who or what ever I wanted to be.  If she is worth funding for all these years, then she is worth meeting in person.

goodluck Jove, i hope she's worth it. I hope she's really not the kind of girl running in my head after i read your post because if she does it will a shock and probably will shutter your trust for every Filipino,And your perception towards each of us will be quite horrible just like what other foriegners think.  GOODLUCK!!!!

MYLYN PEREZ wrote:

goodluck Jove, i hope she's worth it. I hope she's really not the kind of girl running in my head after i read your post because if she does it will a shock and probably will shutter your trust for every Filipino,And your perception towards each of us will be quite horrible just like what other foriegners think.  GOODLUCK!!!!

I think you need to give foreigners more credit for seeing each person as an individual, not as a representative of an entire race or nationality.  I know plenty of Filipinas who are the most honest and caring people I know, and I also know a few scammers.  What you have to learn to do is translate what all the words and actions mean, which is so much better to do in person.

mugtech, It has nothing to do about giving foriegners more creditable chances to see who and what each filipino really is. I am a pure Filipina and i know our differences, I can't deny that there are a lot of real gold diggers and scammers, there are real kind, nice, honest, professionals and well being Filipinas too. But because of those scammers and gold diggers other foriegners see us the same, of course not all foriegners but a lot of them think that way towards Filipinos.

What i am trying to emphasize to Jove is that please think about this girl very carefully, he should be sure what this girl really wants from him or if she's not telling lies. I dont want to tolerate this kind of other Filipina attitude because a lot of people around the world dont judge only the bad ones but the entire Filipinos.

I'm just suspecting this girl because they haven't met each other in person yet, and its been 6 years since they started talking, is she keep bothering him to come and visit her? if she does i can say that she's true to him, if not then think about it man. Seeing each other via skype and other social networking site is not 100% sure that there is no fraud in it. Well if she always asking when he will come to visit and seems like she so excited for the time they can finnaly see and hug each other in person then she's a girl for real.

MYLYN:
" I am one of the many Filipinas who never been interested or prey for your money! we are well educated professionals and we pay our bills from our own sweat, "

Well, I've got money and I love to be preyed upon...I know I know I'm destructing myself. But I can't help it, and besides I don't necessarily make it all that easy, sometimes I even run... a little bit... but not too fast... from my voracious predator. Other times I just fake having a bad leg or something, and let the predator catch me quick. Sometimes it's like a whole pride of lions who prey on me, and I try to get away.. but alas, I don't make it... I just have to tolerate it. Sigh....

MYLYN:
"there are scammers yes but could you please use the word 'Some' when  some Dirty Old foriegn men started to have a dream to be with a young Lady. "

Uh hun... so exactly when did we meet? I can't remember as well as I used to...

Jove wrote:

You need to realize that there are times I visit her home and see the kids via Skype video cam, . . so our relationship is not as
unusual as you may think, . .  So my feelings are not only for her but the kids, who have there own needs and dreams, . . sometimes they need medicine and dentist, Birthday Presents, Christmas Presents, We used to email each other, she from a Cafe, . . I bought her a computer, and now we have Skype and talk twice a day.

I would love to go there, but unfortunately I can not afford that at this time.

If you view the thread you see the budget cost, and they seem realistic to me with four kids there to feed and take care of.

She needs to have some of the comforts of life, even though many do not have that.

As I said if there was a way to improve the whole country I would.

Some think as Americans we are lucky, but the government here turns a blind eye to the rich corporations who make there living
draining us, there are so many who live on the tax payer here that our country is 17 billion dollars in debt. Many of us suffer the consequences of the abuse and oppression.

Sometimes it is not easy to give to her and other friends there but truthfully I enjoy to know that they have some happiness and are well and not hungry.

Jove,

Clearly you have a real, certified, virtual relationship going on with that family, and for my thoughts.. your focus should be on what (you) are getting out of it as primary. The rest can be secondary, tertiary, etcetera... There are good people in the world who help the needy, (and) the needy can be equally good people. If you "see" results, and you feel in your heart you are doing good, that's a lot... and it can be difficult to attribute arbitrary  value to your situation.

Godspeed, keep up the good work.

Jove, for my opinion they are not poor..if they are really that poor they don't install such an air conditioner in their house..poor people can't afford it..for my thought air conditioner not necessary..it can save their bills too..fan is more than enough..seems that they live in a luxury..but, i am not judging of what you have done to her family because that is your money and you have the right to use or spend it as you wish..i hope God will show you what is the right and wrong..you are very kind.

remy13 wrote:

Jove, for my opinion they are not poor..if they are really that poor they don't install such an air conditioner in their house..poor people can't afford it..for my thought air conditioner not necessary..it can save their bills too..fan is more than enough..seems that they live in a luxury..but, i am not judging of what you have done to her family because that is your money and you have the right to use or spend it as you wish..i hope God will show you what is the right and wrong..you are very kind.

LOL, i was wondering on the AC bill for a minute :)

Ramblingroad, haven't you contacted your psychiatrist yet? if yes, maybe you just forgot to take the med ;)oooh,, alzheimer'e desease.

MYLYN PEREZ wrote:

Ramblingroad, haven't you contacted your psychiatrist yet? if yes, maybe you just forgot to take the med ;)oooh,, alzheimer'e desease.

Fraulein Mylyn, good day to you, hope you are well.

OK... now on with the business at hand.

What we have here is clearly "a failure to communicate" did you ever see the movie "Cool Hand Luke"?

But before we get to "diagnostic" problems, how can you be so heartless, that you wish to see this virtual chap, disenfranchise, discharge, jettison, (excommunicate no less) his virtual family, thus breaking his heart, (real), and pushing the family into destitution, (real).  And besides, the virtual relationship can be very beautiful, virtual, vicarious, and back to virtual again.

Let us just stop with being critical, and think about implications here, just how far do virtual and vicarious go.... For examples look to Hollywood , the movie industry is totally "dependent" on both (virtual and vicarious), and by way of satellite communication, you know, "cyberspace",  they ["rent"] to us fantasy; it's not free... movies and plays that allow us to vicariously live and virtually imagine.  "We" allow ourselves to become part of the drama....we feel the pain, excitement, tragedy, and joy.

This man with his virtual relationship,  I can assure you feels all of these things or he would have forfeited the relationship long ago, by forefeit I mean take away the funding, and find another entertainmen venue or (vice) to spend his money on, or as some think here... "squander" his hard earned peso on.

Virtual:
1. Existing or resulting in essence or effect though not in actual fact, form, or name:
2. Existing in the mind, especially as a product of the imagination.

Vicarious:
1. Felt or undergone as if one were taking part in the experience or feelings of another:
2. experienced in the imagination through the feelings or actions of another person. "I could glean vicarious pleasure from the struggles of my imaginary film friends".

So first, coming at this from the Psychiatrist angle everything is not always so cut and dried, meaning --- straightforward, self-evident, or easy to see or understand.

Think of it this way, this man gets to enjoy having, taking care of, and nurturing a family, without really having one...Once again just stop and think about that --- it's quite a trick isn't it... not so easy to do, that is, have a family and not have a family, at the exact same time; (have you really thought this through)...

Admittedly it's not for everybody, but he's not "everybody", he's found something he likes and (enjoys), he has invested in his joy, his entertainment, and it's been going on for "years" leave it alone... you don't even vaguely have an idea, as to why his virtual family is so important to him.

There is virtual depression, and even virtual suicide, albeit the virtual suicide is more forgiving than the other kind, which is more testimony to the positive attributes of the virtual as opposed to the actual...

Let's face it we live in a virtual world... And besides entertainment cost money, you can't expect that family to "work" for nothing, they need to get something out of the virtual relationship too.  Otherwise why bother?

Again, don't underestimate the usefulness of cyberspace to the human condition. Your prejudice toward this individuals kind-heartedness is at best an (uninformed prejudice), you, dear Mylyn are making "generalizations"... you'll need to understand on a more deeper level of the "why's" of what he finds useful, what he gets out of it, and therefore the price he is willing to pay to have this virtual, a cyberspace relationship.

Alzheimer's, well, first off right out of the gate we got problems,  I appreciate your post, energy and thoughtfulness... But you've used a "grab bag" of terms that are a bit mangled up...

Psychiatry, rarely if (ever) deals with or falls under the umbrella of treatment for Alzheimer's, the Alzheimer's laden brain is fraught with neurofibrillary tangles, (NFTs) are aggregates of hyperphosphorylated tau protein, that are most commonly known as a primary marker of Alzheimer's Disease.. 

These tangles like the ones in your hair when you go to brush it, are real --- do you not agree that they are problems and tend to muck things up? Well imagine for a moment those tangle are in your brain, you can "see" what a mess it would make of things ... And since the tangles as you can attest, from your own hair brushings are real,  not made up, they have absolutely nothing to do with Psychiatry.

Psychiatry, is better equipped to do deal with more natural phenomena a couple of examples would be...  “refrigerator mothers.” as in why you hate your mother, or why your mother hates you.  Or finding out what traumatized Gregory Peck in his childhood.  These are solid Psychiatry entities.

So you see you've mixed things up a bit... Now had you said schizophrenia, or manic, or bipolar, or just said "hey the dude is one sick puppy" well that would be more in the "target" area, of your musings.

No problem, glad to help out, thanks is not necessary, I'm just happy to lend clarification when and where it's needed, as long as it stays within the boundary of my abilities.

Have a great day Fraulein Mylyn.

Manic:
1. showing wild and apparently deranged excitement and energy.

Bipolar:
1. having or relating to two poles or extremities.
2. (of psychiatric illness) characterized by both manic and depressive episodes, or manic ones only.

Schizophrenia:
1. a long-term mental disorder of a type involving a breakdown in the relation between thought, emotion, and behavior, leading to faulty perception, inappropriate actions and feelings, withdrawal from reality into fantasy and delusion, and a sense of mental fragmentation.

Cheers,

All the best, "in the best of all possible worlds".

When you live in Philadelphia but cannot afford to visit the Philippines because you are sending all of your extra money to the Philippines, then most any experience you have will have to be virtual.  Sometimes it is easier to dream of the good you are doing far away rather than to visit there and discover the truth.  Its his money and his dream, and he is certainly within his rights to do things his way.  I just wish him best of luck and hope he gets to see it for real some day.

Dear all,

Please remember that our aim is mainly to help and provide guidance for members seeking answers to their questions

Let's keep up the positive spirit and get back to the initial topic please

Thank you

Maximilien

Maximilien wrote:

Dear all,

Please remember that our aim is mainly to help and provide guidance for members seeking answers to their questions

Let's keep up the positive spirit and get back to the initial topic please

Thank you

Maximilien

Yesterday, Thursday the 19th of Sept. was International Pirate day...

Can you [  think ] or "see" how (The Topic), could possibly have  correlation; be linked to; have  insight; or commonality;  or "tie" into  this "topic"? How about just a few words..  a short essay...? Is everything in life so bland, simplistic, and easy to see.  Black and white?

How about just a simple testimony, only answers with "yes or no",  would it make for interesting reading; yes, no?

Do you think I'm being scammed, yes.

Do you there, think I'm being scammed, no.

Do you think I'm being scammed,  yes.

Do you think I'm being scammed, no.

Then simply tally all of the yes and no answers and the question is solved. Really? No need to try an understand, perceive, "glean out" fact from fiction, or truth from fantasy.  Because there ain't no such things, they simply don't exist, it's simply yes or no.

Arrr matey!  Well shiver me timbers! Make 'em walk the plank ... If they be.

Talk like a pirate day is a stupid and disgraceful event.  It's like having a talk like a terrorist day.  Why do you think they sing about "to the shores of Tripoli" in the Marine Corps Hymn? I blame Hollywood for glorifying international terrorists.  Aren't these few Filipinas who pull these scams on well-meaning men from afar really modern day pirates?  Shouldn't there be a travel warning for such men, shouldn't both Somalia and the Philippines be on the beware of pirates list? If there is a movement afoot to change the nickname of the Washington Redskins, then why shouldn't we also change the name of the Pittsburgh Pirates?

mugtech wrote:

Talk like a pirate day is a stupid and disgraceful event.  It's like having a talk like a terrorist day.  Why do you think they sing about "to the shores of Tripoli" in the Marine Corps Hymn? I blame Hollywood for glorifying international terrorists.  Aren't these few Filipinas who pull these scams on well-meaning men from afar really modern day pirates?  Shouldn't there be a travel warning for such men, shouldn't both Somalia and the Philippines be on the beware of pirates list? If there is a movement afoot to change the nickname of the Washington Redskins, then why shouldn't we also change the name of the Pittsburgh Pirates?

Dear [mug]tech,

Well, well, well, and my, my, my, so "pirates" bring to your mind Somalia and Pittsburgh baseball teams, and "red skins" from the wild, wild, West. Dude you need to get out more often, there's more to life than computer components, at least that's my humble opinion. Help me sweet Jesus, as I must try, and will keep trying... i.e. moving forward, even when and if someone's ox has accidently been gored... The problem with gut reactions is they are (gut), i.e. disengaged from the cerebral;--> speech and language are mainly attributed to parts of the cerebral cortex.. I'd personally love to hear some of your talk like a pirate, Somali semantics, [ a few words ].

Talk like a pirate day comes from a different time, different technology, a different history, rich in language, rich in story, and (extraordinarily) rich in adventure, and politics... yes, afraid so, often enough.. they were government sanctioned... Yes Governments [mug]tech. Which "pirate" was knighted by one of the most powerful governments of the maritime seafaring empires? You might know because it precipitated "WAR", true, the war was really already in the making, but knighting pirates, tisk, tisk, it's simply unbecoming... The only thing to do was declare war, and show the world just how civilized real "gubments" are.

OK, I'll tip my hat kindly to the moderator and kindly agree your post and my follow up post, i.e. this one... is way off topic. Right...makes might. And 'we' you and me are both in error writing on this side of pirating as opposed to the more subtle side of gently separating man and money, by the ways of Cleopatra... as I had so eloquently spoken about in a post above in the thread.

One more "food" / pirate, for thought, back in the pirates heyday, where was the money, i.e. the gold laden galleons coming from... when they were attacked by pirates? Who was the "labor" who dug and carried the gold, silver, and other precious cargo of New World treasures? If you're thinking African slaves, that's only partly true, these good "gubments" only turned to Africans, after all the enslaved, (and blessed by priests), local inhabitants, had been worked to death, in the name of the Queen or King.

Very simplistic your thoughts and words with regard to pirates. Start a thread on "Pirates Day", and I'll be happy to engage and discuss them more. History is only a burden for those who know a little bit about it...

" Money answers all questions " The Holy Bible.

Have a great day.

Was just helping to be off topic and sarcastic.  I used to hitchhike 300 miles to see the Pirates play in Forbes Field, would never want them to change their name.  Sorry you wasted your time taking it seriously.  Better luck next time.

the only person i am concerned about this topic is only jove who i think is asking about opinions of people who has the certain ideas about how to survive in davao. So Jove it is only you who can decide weather she's scaming you or not. Maybe you dont know it now but sooner or later you will know the truth. God bless you always Jove :)

Hi Jove,
           I read with interest your posts here. I have been going to phils since 1999. Married and divorced to pinay twice!!
  They are lovely people but you need to be careful with your money. The more you send, the more they want. They become dependant on you sending the money and may even stop work if your paying the way. There is always a viable crisis that requires fast money...sick chld, ageing granny, typhoon or floods, robbery, lost purse etc etc.
  Once you start sending money, the requests will keep coming. If you have never met this lady in person (you dont mention that you have ) then you need to check her out. As somebody already pointed out, she was surviving before you came along, she will survive without you if you stop sending the money. Honestly.
  Dont feel guilty for questioning her. You dont have to feel obliged to support her and her  extended family. When they have no money, they just dont eat till they have money. They are tough as old boots and to be admired for that. We would die if we had to live as they do. For many its a hand to mouth existance there. We cant solve the Philippines poverty problems. The west has its own problems to deal with which may well put us all in as bad a position as those in Phils and not so very far away...its called national debt...its a time bomb ticking !! tic toc
   Get this lady checked out. For your own mind at least. Its up to you what you do with your money. 6 years is long time if youve not been there and met with her. In my experience...she may well be recieving funds from more than just you! These are things you need to know.

Regards
                 Colin

interesting

I live in Davao, from USA.  For an expat it is not an inexpensive place to live.  But based on personal experience, your friend can be living quite well on the amount you are sending. Or she is helping her extended family well. Family comes first here and they have no shame in lying to a foreigner to get some extra money.  Just because she is not a twenty something in age. Does she have a higher integrity.

Hello everyone > just to inform that some posts have been removed from this discussion.

---------------------------
The topic here is on "How does a native Philippine Survive'.

Thank you.

Hi BilltoBill,
              I agree very much on what you said.  Im concerned for all who live in your part of the world right now. Fukushima is not being dealt with properly and contaminated water is flowing into the seas 24/7 . The hastilly errected holding tanks are leaking also. They have 2 months to remove the fuel rods and they have no idea what condtion they are in due to the meltdown and explosions.
   Im not scare mongering but Japan has big responsibility here and the rest of the world should be sending ist best men to help , but instead they are trying to make war in the middle east. God save us all...
   Davao is great place by the way. I felt more at home there than anywhere on my travels in phils.

Regards
            Colin

colin57 wrote:

Hi BilltoBill,
              I agree very much on what you said.  Im concerned for all who live in your part of the world right now. Fukushima is not being dealt with properly and contaminated water is flowing into the seas 24/7 . The hastilly errected holding tanks are leaking also. They have 2 months to remove the fuel rods and they have no idea what condtion they are in due to the meltdown and explosions.
   Im not scare mongering but Japan has big responsibility here and the rest of the world should be sending ist best men to help , but instead they are trying to make war in the middle east. God save us all...
   Davao is great place by the way. I felt more at home there than anywhere on my travels in phils.

Regards
            Colin

Interests:
"current affairs, real truth, surviving in modern world., truth"

Colin, truth is hard to come by these days, there's so much information to sift through and then (try) and digest, and truth often has to be interpreted by the peddlers, sellers, or pushers of a said truth, and the seekers of it have to synthesize through to see what if any parts are relevant to their lives, not easy stuff for the most part. About Philippine business. The boarding house and store is a well worn path of Expats coming and setting up shop in the Philippines. Lots and lots of those. There are "those" that put vehicles together... that is buy them in parts, then assemble, paint and fix interior. Lots of the little vehicles in the Philippines are assembled and sold this way. It's a way to tap into your already demonstrated skill, of refurbishing vans, maybe a bit more involved with assemble. But it's an avenue or idea that might be worth looking into.

Since you've been to the Philippines then you already know, peso is hard to come by for the average Philippino, so they are pretty well (locked) into a way of life, by this I mean they know how to stretch their peso, to get the most out of it, their spending habits don't very much, and very little discretionary income. A business depending on them, I think would be pretty tough. So if possible, it would be better to cater to those with a bit more resources, like many foreigners try to cater to other foreigners when they start businesses in the Philippines.  As you know or should know by now owning property and such is very tricky business in the Philippines, and thus business land property is just as sticky and tricky. But the car / truck assembly sales thing, I think comes with a decent profit (per item sold). And lots of times the vehicles are ordered, assembled and sold to a buyer, without ever being parked on a sales lot, the deal is made before, with a hefty deposit, so all know what to expect. It's another approach, to consider and put some though into.

Hi,
    Many thanks for your thoughtful reply.  Yes truth is hard to sift but if you start at the point that everything you know is wrong...thats a good point to begin!!  What i mean by that is we have all been sold lies since before the Bible was written. We are not who we think we are.  we are not truly of this earth. We are not alone, we never have been.  Take a look at some of the original news footage of Japan Tsunami.... you can see spherical craft leaving the sea as it engulfs the land. (this was not picked up by the media that was broadcasting it)  youtube it !!
   There is a great site called truthseeker.com and brasschecktv for genuine  truth. Many more also but i have become to rely on those.
   Thanks also for the lowdown on business there.  What about buying "stress sales" of motor vehicles and cars for  cash?  There is always somebody there in need of fast cash!!  then sell them on at below market averages to make fast sales.   
  I agree about trying to make a living from the local economy there. Its just too hand to mouth. selling cigarettes by the stick has no appeal to me at all. Besides, I would more likely advise them to give up the habit!! hehe.
  Moving anywhere in the world right now is fraught with danger . I fear what China may do in that region. China is hungry for resources such as fossil fuels and minerals. Philippines has masses of both, especially Gold. Philippines could be the wealthiest country on the Planet with all the Gold there is there.  the Spanish knew that!!
  I love the Philippines and would love to help the street kids there. Trouble is there are so many. I admire them so much.  So resourceful.
   The West WILL collapse. Its just a question of when not if.  Debt cannot keep growing the way it has. look at Greece, Iceland, Poland, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Spain, Argentina.  Britains national debt is greater than all of those Euro countries put together. US national debt dwarfs Global debt of all nations put together.  The stock markets and currencies dont reflect reality. They are more rigged than a roulette wheel!!
   There is so much I can write here but have to be careful as you never know who is going to read it.  Who controls the world??....Who controls the money...thats who!!    Who controls the money??   :))

Regards
               Colin

Jove wrote:

I have a friend in Davao, I me and became Pen Pals with some six years ago.

She is middle aged, separated for years and receives no support from ex husband  and has two daughters and two sons,

One daughter lives in Dubai, and my friend has her two daughters there in Davao, . .
the other daughter is in Manila, and has one yr old with her and his 3 yr old brother there in Davao with my friend, . .

Another Son 23 lives with her most of the time and has no job to speak of there in 2 years I know of, the remaining son will be in 7th grade.

At one time, a year ago,  she has a job where she works in a small night club, making 200 pesos a night, 8 or more hours, six days a week.1,200 pesos a week, that would be 4,800 pesos a month.

I told her to quit the job because the children need her at home.So I have been helping her.

I'd like to know how does the Philippine Society expect a woman to survive there, as her cost of living is around 32,000 pesos a month, that is about 29,200 pesos that she needs above the average weekly pay there.

I'd appreciate if you can give me some general knowledge about what goes on there, Is there work for the son there in Davao ?

If a panhandler in the streets of America approaches you and tells you a sob story like the one told by your friend, asks you to give him $750 per month, would you take his word for and give him money even if you haven't seen his true situation? I won't.
Do your research before giving any money, whether it's $7 or $700. But generally, be wary of people whom you meet on the internet who ask for money.

I believe that most Filipinos are very hardworking, honest and kind. Just look at the number of self sacrificing OFWs. But it's the rotten few, who have an attitude of entitlement, that give Filipinos a bad rap.

You look like a very kindhearted person. I think the one person who deserves your money is you. Put that $700 towards your retirement.

mugtech wrote:

Was just helping to be off topic and sarcastic.  I used to hitchhike 300 miles to see the Pirates play in Forbes Field, would never want them to change their name.  Sorry you wasted your time taking it seriously.  Better luck next time.

Uh oh, there Mr. Mugtech, looks like the Pirates got hit with too many "cannon" balls, his Eminence the "Cardinal" sank their ship.

But the Pirates were on a "current"... it has been a while...

"Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever"
Napoleon Bonaparte.

If I were a separated woman with a grown up son and a 7 year old, I could live comfortably with:

Food for a day: 40 to 50 pesos per person or between 3,600 to 4,500.
Housing (don't know the rent where she lives, but let's say she's being truthful): 2,500.
Electric: just lights and other small appliances: 400; with tv: 600; with small refrigerator: 900.
Gas (for cooking) 700.
Water: 500.
Transportation: 400. 
Cellphone: 200 (pre-paid / pay-per-use).
Internet: 400 ( at internet cafe for 1 hr per day).

Total: Less than 10k.

I can earn a bit on the side by selling stuff, such as opening a sari sari store or selling snacks such as sugar coated fried plantain bananas. I would leave it up my grown up son to take care of the 7 year old and bring him to school, while I try to earn some money instead of sitting all day in front of the tv, waiting for hand outs from my American friend.

Typical cost per month of "luxuries":
Cable / satellite tv: 500 (my actual subscription since I'm not really a tv person) to 1300 / month
Electric bill if I had a washing machine, tv, laptop, 2 electric fans, 1.5 hp aircon everyday for 2 hrs at night during very hot days so that the kids can fall asleep faster, a small refrigerator: 2800.
Home Internet: 800-1000 / month.
Duo (cellphone with landline) phone service: 600.
Filtered Water Service: 300-500
Maid: 3500.
Doing groceries at Supermarket instead of public market: 9000.
Riding a taxi home every time I do my shopping once a week at supermarket: 300.
Private "non-exclusive" school: 3000 or 36k per year, which includes school supplies and uniform.
Eating out at fast food 4x per month for 3 persons: 1,600
Monthly payment for a decent brand new scooter / motorcycle for 3 years including gas: 3k.

Other info:
Minimum wage for employees working for companies with 10 or more employees: around 460 pesos / day.

Other advice for you:
Have her write to you on a piece of paper, in her own handwriting (not type written or printed), and have it sent to you via snail mail. Sometimes you can tell a lot about a person by corresponding the old fashioned way. (I write in my own handwriting to my mother-in-law when I send her pictures of the kids via snail mail. I think it's more personal.)

FilAmericanMom wrote:

Have her write to you on a piece of paper, in her own handwriting (not type written or printed), and have it sent to you via snail mail. Sometimes you can tell a lot about a person by corresponding the old fashioned way. (I write in my own handwriting to my mother-in-law when I send her pictures of the kids via snail mail. I think it's more personal.)

Excellent idea, tells a lot about the person, cuts down on the immediate financial emergencies.  Buy some Philippines airmail stamps and send her one every time you write so she will have no excuse to not write back.

Ramblingroads wrote:
mugtech wrote:

Uh oh, there Mr. Mugtech, looks like the Pirates got hit with too many "cannon" balls, his Eminence the "Cardinal" sank their ship.

But the Pirates were on a "current"... it has been a while...

"Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever"
Napoleon Bonaparte.

Of course the Cardinals, who do God's will by selecting the pope, should triumph over Pirates.  It was God's will.

mugtech wrote:
FilAmericanMom wrote:

Excellent idea, tells a lot about the person, cuts down on the immediate financial emergencies.  Buy some Philippines airmail stamps and send her one every time you write so she will have no excuse to not write back.

" cuts down on the immediate financial emergencies. "

Not sure I understand this line, Mugtech, it's a bit of a teaser I think, or, are you going a bit abstract here... how does it factor in?

OK, never mind, I just got it... Hey, it's late and I work long hours.

Hi i am a filipina and i lived in davao before i still have a house there but currently i am in africa now, all i can say is a lot of good hearted people there a lot of inteligent people but the oppurtunities about work is very limited thats why a lot of filipino going out to other countries to work, even for me i have a good education and have fighting chance in working there but after 10 years if working there i get fed up, my salary is not even enough for my needs.. But its a good thing for you your helping her.. Sometimes we just need somebody who will believe in us and our capability to reached our dreams and fly high.  Bless you

MYLYN PEREZ wrote:

hi Jove, I actually dont want to say this to you since i am also a Filipina but i think your a victim of a scammer. I dont think that girl you're talking about have been true to all the things that she said. Maybe you showed your interest to her and that you're willing to support her that is why she made a fancy story about her living,i dont think it is true that your friend had work in a night club. Many scammers make hearttouching stories just to get the man's sympathy, i feel sorry for such kind of girls who dont even want to stretch thier mucles to earn money for thier better living. Yes, there are poor Filipinos but i salute those because they dont need to write false story about thier living just to scam forigners , they keep working hard to feed thier family. I have an urge that this girl you're talking is just using you im sorry for that, but if im wrong then im sorry too but based on what i read to your post it is exactly what the scammers do. Think many times mr. jove, dont spend your money to people who is just using you,.

Very well said Ms. Mylyn. I live here in Davao as well, and I def agree with the scam thing. Sad to say that there are really bad apples. But I don't wanna judge the woman yet because I havent personally met her, lol. I wonder what happened with Mr. Jove and his chatmate :)

Hi Jove,
   Well I apologize for not showing up for the rest of this dialoque...
Hopefully this may answer some questions.
I have an Asian lady friend that I knew for years. We had a sort of "friendship." She had at least 3 online boy friends, an American, a Brit, and an Aussie. Once she was on the phone with one of them...he was going on and on, "oh honey do you have enough to eat?" "Are your kids ok?" etc etc. She painted a sob story, but she was good at it...real good. I wont tell you what I was doing to her while she was on the phone with him but I think you can figure it out.
He sent her money...a day after the call she had it : )
It was a lot of money as I remember.
One good rule of thumb: NEVER send money over seas!!!

was in davao and registered the gf child in june 2014 no fees mate good luck

I think your hidden ? is how much should you help. All children of the poor get 300 pesos a month from the government.  Does she own her house or does she rent? Electric is no more than 1200 pesos unless she runs AC I don't and I am fine with a fan. Internet 1300 pesos, cable 300 gas for cooking 300 a month is good 200 pesos a month for PHIL Health another 400 for transportation That is 3600 pesos excluding rent and food. Consider the Average income in the Philippines is 13000 plus so call it 14000 a month
If you can afford it send her 500 US a month then see how she handles the money If she is a good women you will have a very nice place to stay when you visit if not The amount you send will never be enough.