New member - question about cars/motorcycles

Hello-
Just discovered this site. I am considering an ex-pat postion located in Grand Bay.  The salary is around 5000 BP (or $7900 USD) per month.  I think this roughly translate to 240,000 MRU a month.  I've done some preliminary research and it seems like this would allow a decent lifestyle. 

I am most curious about the roads/driving on Mauritius.  I'm quite the avid motorcyclist/sports car enthusiast.  Would it make sense to bring cars/motorcycles with me? All of my cars are left-hand drive (US), so are they even legal? 

I know this seems like an odd question to ask about a potential life-altering move, but these hobbies are very important to me.

Thanks for any feedback!

Hi MrOutside !

Welcome to Expat.com!

Armand

Hi mate,

are you moving here with your family or alone?....if you are moving here alone, then $7,900/month will allow you a GREAT lifestyle....and if you are moving with your family, then it will allow you a GOOD lifestyle!

I just moved over here to Grand Baie from New York 2 weeks ago with my family, so can advise you.

In regards to bringing a car/bike over here....dont bother!

The duties on cars etc to bring over here is VERY HIGH (from 50-100% +).

To give you an example of new cars ( i have been looking at some SMALL compact cars this week for my wife):

- Nissan Micra : 650k R
- Fiat 500: 750k R
- Fiat 500 Convertible 1.3m R
- Kia Picanto 600k R
- Toyota Prius 1.1m R
- Citroen C4: 1.3m R

So as you can see from above, prices of cars here are quite mad.

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to contact me, i'll give you all the info needed as i've just gone through the whole move here.