Might be moving to Shanghai, have MANY questions! thx for your help!

Hi!!
I would really appreciate your help!

I don't know where to start..
My husband is having interviews for a job in Shanghai, so we would move there.

I have worries...

As a living, I create websites.
And I need social media, it's part of my job, beside being needed to stay in touch with my friends.
I heard that social media might be not available in China? (Facebook, twitter).
What can be done?
Is it easy to find a VPN?

We have a friend that lives with us here, she's piratically family, she has no one beside us..
She would be totally willing to follow us in China, but I wonder how hard would it be for her to get a visa (for work, or school...)

Anyone has any information about this?
As a single person, how would she get a visa for herself?
And about anyway she could be allowed to follow us? (she would still live with us..)

How is life in Shanghai?
If I stay at home with our kids, will I *have* to learn the language, or speaking english is fine?

We live in Montreal right now, we have always lived in Qc, except for a 18 months in Alberta.
I'm okay with being out of my element, but I'm scared I will have no friends and will be at home all the time (it happened in Alberta. 18 months without any friends )

What is YOUR experience?
Would you recommend Shanghai for a family? That never really left their french Qc and that don't even have cable tv, cause all they need is internet (netflix, pbs, fod network...)

I can't tell my husband not to take the job... but I wanna be sure I will be happy there :(

hello , how r you, . 1 reason you cant use facebook or twitter in china is becuz they have "great wall" fire wall, but you could use some softwares to break it.... not very difficult, whats ur email add i can send a free one for ya.
2 shanghai is a big city , but dont be afraid it, you will fit in very easily , most of ppl are speaking english here
3 visa is difficult , like in your friend case, visiting visa is only for 1 month, but your friend could apply for a multi-enter one,thats for two months, she proply needs to go out and in again through hongkong

I hope my experience will help you
[email protected] if you have any further probs , write to me ...  all the best

Hello,
I am just wondering if you actually moved? We are in the same situation right now. I would appreciate if you share any information.
Thank you

hi!

What part of the city are you looking to move? That makes a big difference. Since you have kids, I recommend joining shanghaimamas.org- its a large community of expats and they give lots of advice about moving here with a family. They are super friendly too!

There is a large enough expat population that you can get along w/only english- but be warned that businesses that cater to expats are $$$. Day to day you will want to have basic mandarin- Taxis, ordering water, etc. I was very frustrated when I couldn't communicate basic needs at the grocery. Also knowing some mandarin can help protect your family from being ripped off at the market. There are expat neighborhoods where most will speak english, but in most of the city do not expect people to understand english.

Your friend could easily get a visa if they enrolled in a Language program, or university. Tourist visa's normally don't cover more than 1 month...

VPN: we pay about $60 USD a year for Strong vpn. there's also Astril, and a few others you can look at. Our is pretty reliable, though internet is generally s-l-o-w, so while I can access youtube and netflix, it takes 4 hrs to buffer and watch a 2 hr film.

I was just wondering if you can give any information about Chinese banking system. How easy it is to transfer the money home? Is there on line banking etc.... ?

What is the quality of the appartments / condos over there?  Are there any with swimming pools and gyms?
Is it possible to find an English speaking maid and/or nany? Is it expensive?

Is it possible for a foreign national to get the job there, and what if you don't speak Chinese?

Also how easy it is to travel from there? Are there travel agencies, all inclusive packages, is it more/ less expensive than US or Canada? we might want to explore the area while we are there....

And when it comes to visitor visas, how hard it will be for our parents to visit us? What are the requirements?

Thank you so much for your help!

Hi snatalya,

Yes, we use the Chinese banking system (my husband is paid in RMB) Yes, they also do online banking and its relatively easy to transfer and convert money. China like shaving a paper trail, so often you will be required to bring your passport to convert money, and sign forms, and keep all receipts for future conversions from RMB > foreign funds.

Shanghai is the NYC of China- its a top tier city, much different from the majority of China. Yes there's apts with pools and gyms, and the quality can be very nice if you've got the money for it. For example, La Cité in the city center is a very nice complex with pool, playground, and rentable BBQ area.

English speaking nanny, will most likely be Filipino, and the cost is a bit more, you can verify on Shanghaimamas.org, but rumors around 35rmb/hr??

foreign nationals getting a job... what industry? Easy teaching jobs are easy to get. Anything competing with a popular Chinese industry is tougher, (i.e. programming). I don't speak/read fluent mandarin and do well here (in creative industry), again, depends.

Travel is easy, there are many agencies, although Spring travel admitted to us they charge foreigners 30% more!! We use Ctrip.com- they have english speakers and are very knowledgeable.

For your parents visiting, should be easy, depends on your country. For the US I am *supposed* to submit a copy of the passport and official invitation letter for my parents. Other just put some random hotel address down, which has worked in the past. When your parents arrive they are supposed to register at the local police station, but not largely enforced.

Kris

Thank you so much Kris for such an informative reply! 
This is really helpful to us, as we still have to take a decision on this move.

As to my profession I am in accounting and corporate finance field, I guess it will be a highly competitive area, right? Do they favour North American designations?

Another question - how much could be a 3-4 bedroom apartment in a condo like La Cite?

Also I have a little concern that my kids will develop an accent...:-) my youngest is just 8 months. What is your experience?

Thanks a million for all your help!

Natalie

Haha we all have accents here- international ones. I don't have a child yet, but many of them adopt the accents of their schools/teachers, There's the British school, German, American school etc. I've met Irish kids who speak with North American accents.

A place like La Cite goes for around 12,500+ rmb Check out SmartShanghai.com though you can go cheaper and use a neighborhood gym+ pool (Thats what we do)

I can't speak too much to accounting/finance your best bet would be a multinational company, From your home country that has offices in China.

Shanghai has been both an adventure and become a wonderful home to us.

Kris