Ranger Motorcycles

Have been looking for a Ranger Motorcycle, the model that looks like a Harley dresser. Went to 3 Coral stores, but none found. Anyone know where I might locate one? Is there another dealer here in Cuenca?

What kind of price range is the Ranger in ? How many CC's are they? I'm assuming you are not interested in a Royal Enfield? I know I saw dealerships for them in Cuenca last June. They, as I'm sure you're aware, also have the more retro look. Saw a number of them on the streets.
In June, I'm picking up a BMW from a friend. It is in storage right now in Bogata. I will be driving it back from Colombia. I was told by my buddy it can be done with two good days on the road.
For me, that will be the trip of a lifetime. I've rode scoots all over the US, but this is going to be waaaaaay different. For some reason, I keep on seeing " Banditto's" in my future!
Good Luck with the bike. If you are interested is seeing some of the countryside from the saddle, keep me in mind. Love to explore on two wheels.
Neil

From what I am told the Harley looking ranger sells for less than $1500. It is only 200cc's though. I have had bikes ranging from BSA's, Triumphs, Harleys, and almost every Japenese bike make. I am trying to stay away from the Royal Enfield bikes as they are in the $6000 range and more, I believe. I live above the airport about 5 miles and the only bus that serves the Ochoa Leon area is bus #26. We sometimes have to wait 40 minutes or more to catch it each way. And normally when we board it is packed. Taxi's out here are expensive to go just about anywhere. Thats is why I was thinking of buying a cheap ride into the small town of Uncovia (industrial area) for small supplies. I have just about decided to buy a car or truck also. I am tired of being at the mercy of the bus service here. It is hard to hold on and hold both of your pockets while riding. You never read that in IL. But if you decide to live outside the center, it is much more expensive to get about.
If I do end up with something that can keep up with your bike, I will let you know.
As far as Bandidito's are concerned. My best friend in Jr. High school in Nederland Texas had a brother that was the head of the Bandito chapter in Southeast Texas. We were riding on my buddies Cushman in the field next to their house, and his brother and friends came to visit their parents. Never forget that day. At least 50 Harley, BSA, Triumph choppers came roaring in next to us on the Cushman. It was a young boys dream, but what happened next topped it. Quite a few of the Bandito's had wives and girlfriends with them. They hollered, give the boys a show. And all the women raised their tops, not a bra to be found. Thank GOD. Great day in my life, lol. Was hooked on motorcycles from that day forward.

@Txsbigfoot, hooked on bikes or top less women??

Vinny

They are both great to look at!

Kinda reminds me of my history. We had a M/C that was close to my house when I was a kid. All Britts back then, Trumpets and Beesers mainly. My first scooter was a '47 Indian Chief. Got it when I was 15, to young to be licensed. I used to hide it down by the lake about a block from my house. Very sneaky. One day I went down to take it out, and my Dad was sitting across the street in his car. He sat and watched me jump on that thing for 10 minutes before I got it to kick over. I weighed like a buck- ten. I still have my '74 850 Norton Commando. Not my daily driver. I ride a 1700 Road Star for the most part.
We'll get on the road for sure.
Till then, go luck finding the bike your looking for. I think I'd be tempted to have something like that for in town. Do you know if they are fairly reliable? You sure see a lot of 200 CC sized bikes.... that I've never heard of.
Stay Well,
Neil

I do envy the hell out of you for having a Norton. I cant help myself, but I check Ebay every month and salivate over some of the 750 and 850's they have for sale. Then I flip to see if a 72 BSA Rocket 3 is for sale. Cant help myself. I gave up my bikes for 10 yrs while my children were growing up. I was riding one to play softball with my daughter on the back of my Magna 750 Honda and didnt notice an 18 wheeler coming up behind me going about 40 mph faster than me. The wind shook the bike and it scared me for the first time. Sold it the next week. Didnt want the kids growing up without a dad. Back to your question on reliability on the Rangers. I have heard good things, but you never know. I do know that in Mexico, and Italy there are tons of small bore bikes. Many have 5 aboard at a time. Have seen 4 aboard here. Now, if I can just stay away from the Royal Enfield place, the fever might subside.

I think when I reflect on all the bikes I've had, and let go, it would be my '66 650 SpitFire Mark II BSA. I think only 500 came to the US. I bought mine in Baltimore back in '70. It had the Crossed Flags on the tank ( glass ) with the Land Speed Record Holder from the Bonnie Salt Flats decal. ( I think that was for class of course ) It was that cream and red. I sold it to a buddy in '75 as I had my Norton.
Funny, with the young guys, the Trumpets are very popular now. I've got a buddy I ride with that has a Rocket III. The thing is a BEAST!!!

I bet the 200 Ranger is a beast also, lol. Probably has a top speed of 50. Oh well, I miss riding. And this place is great for it. In my area of Southeast Texas when you rode to town in a T shirt, you had a couple hundred skeeters plastered to your shirt, teeth, helment, and glasses. We had to ride about 90 miles to get into the Lakes area to enjoy riding there. All this talking about my old bikes is makin me misty.

Question:
How hard is it to get a license? I had heard with an International License,you can drive for a year. But, I know I won't be able to pass a writen test is Spanish. Is there another way to test other than the writen?
And yeah, I get a little misty looking back. Do they have a m/c endorsement, or does a regular d/l cover both car & bike?
Stay Well,
Neil

I am going monday to the immigration office to start my paperwork. I have heard conflicting reports on driving here. I am going to ask them, and will let you know.

Cool, I appreciate it. I have heard you need your high school diploma as part of the documentation. Be interesting to see if thats the case. I don't think I've seen mine for over 40 years.
Good Luck

I was at Coral today in the Mal del Rio.   There were five 200cc Rangers in different colors listed at $1,172 upstairs near the checkout stands.  They looked more like hybrids to me, than harleys.

Well, hybrid may be a better name. I will post a picture tomorrow of a friend who has one.

Can these scoots be decent at under $ 1200.00? I mean, if they are reliable at that price, I'd buy a couple. Hell, I change my oil on my bike, and it costs me about 50 bucks. My saddlebags cost me $ 1,300.00. I've seen some of these bikes in the 200/250 CC class, and they are pretty damn nimble..... which is what you want in the city proper.
Keep me posted.
Neil

Sat on one tonight. Felt like a feather, compared to a Harley. The springs felt fine. Am going tomorrow to purchase one, probably have to order from Coral. Will let you know price and timeframe for delivery. Hell, I'd watch a monkey ---- for that price. Zen, Hit me with a PM, and will give you details on how things pan out. Also will send you a pic, cant do that on this forum I believe. Can see it now, the wind blowing thru my 68 hairs going almost 70mph. Gotta love EC.
Mike

Hi Mike, Did you end up buying the Ranger 200? Is it the dual sport? I also plan to get a small bike when I get to Ecuador...currently have a Harley 1200 and an old Ninja 750. Hate to sell them, but oh well, on to the next adventure.

Actually Ranger does not make the Harley style MC any longer. There are a couple of others that do though. One is called a Superlight, the other is a Tundra. Both are 200cc bikes, and are Chinese. I bought the Tundra. It has floorboards, hwybars, backrest, and small luggage carrier. I believe it lists the top speed at 65 mph. The pricetag on the bike was about $2780. Drive out price with helment was $1390. I pick it up tomorrow. For the price, and year warranty, why not? It is not a dual sport. There are tons of them available in Coral, and in almost every electronic stereo store. I bought mine for the occasional trip into the outlying town for essentials, and to cruise around the mountain roads all around Cuenca. I plan on buying a vehicle when we obtain our residency. That is why I could not justify spending 8 thousand on a Royal Enfield 500 cc to be my main mode of transport. Rains way too much here for a bike to be your main vehicle in my mind.
I would post a pic, but dont know now how to do it on this site.
Also I found out that anything over 250cc has an enormous tarriff on it. Hence the small bore bikes everywhere. Most people run Premium gas in their bikes, because they run much better in these high altitudes.
I have to get in my "Road Warrior" mode to ride here, as the locals are always in a hurry and have blinders on it seems. I dont plan on riding it much in heavy traffic in town.
Will repost in a couple of weeks how the bike works out.
Mike

As for a driver's license-  I just got my Ecuadorean driver's license (finally- after driving here for over 2 years.)  I had the International License and it says it's valid for one year; however, the law here in Ecuador is that it's only valid for 30 days. I also ride a motorcycle but I have not done the motorcycle test here for the Ecuadorean motorcycle license. To get the regular driver's license I had to provide lots of paperwork and take the computer test (in Spanish). You can get all the questions and answers to study beforehand.

Hey Mike, tried to find a pic of the Tundra, but all the links were for Toyota's. I can see your point, even if it falls apart right after the warranty expires, transport for only a little over $100 a month seems like a bargain. Are there any old Japanese enduros around? If so, are they reasonably priced?

Amy, how bad would they have jacked you up, if you'd been caught driving on an expired License? Are traffic laws enforced the same as here in the states or is it more of a free-for-all? I guess I'd better look into that International License (yet another thing I had no idea about, thanks for mentioning it). :-)

I dont know how to put a pic on here. But PM me with your email and I will send you the brochure.
There are tons of Shineray enduro types for sale here. For about $1172 you can get a 200cc, and for a couple hundred more, a 250. Nice looking bikes. I see them everywhere around here. Most come with a year warranty. I figure the poor Chinese that make these bikes probably make a dollar a day pay. No other way these bikes could be shipped here and sold for the cost.
The Honda's and Yamaha's are very pricey here.
As far as the license goes. I hear lots of stuff. But I dont think you can get your drivers license before you get your Cedula. Chance you take I guess. Their rules.
Hopefully I get my rice burner this weekend. There are virtually thousands of mountain roads to explore, just around Cuenca. Will finally have something to do, other than wait for the grass to grow long enough to cut with my itty bitty weed whacker.
Mike

Ha, imagining you standing outside with your weed whacker for days.

Did your bike show up over the weekend? I wonder what the laws are for buying and registering a motorcycle while still on a tourist visa. (You have your residency, correct?)

Yes, please send me the brochure. Will PM my email. Thanks!