Ecard? Maltese Citizenship?

Hi Everyone,

I wonder if anyone could clear something up for me, I have been in Malta for 3 years now. My ID card expires in 14 months, there are a lot of people in work stating that everyone has to apply for Maltese Citizenship by the end of March. I'm hearing mixed stories about this also. Some are saying that it is essential and also, that when you do, you give up the right to free healthcare if you ever move back to the UK. At present I have no intention of returning to the UK but you never know what will happen years down the line. Could anyone please clarify exactly what this registration by the end of March is about please?

Hi GHouston,

the new e-residency has nothing to do with citizenship!

It is just a replacement for the old ID cards and residency documents.

If you already have a residency document for Malta nothing will change for you except that you give in your ID card when you apply for the new e-residence card.

If you did not apply for the 'proper' residence document in the 3 years you have been in Malta you will have to apply with the full documention required including the question of healthcare entitlement.

You should follow the posts on the forum about the new e-residence/ID card.

The exact details depend on your status in Malta , ie working,paying NI contributions,self-sufficient, pensioner and so on.

At the moment it appears that all ID cards will become invalid at the end of March 2013 unless there is a change.

Cheers
Ricky

Thanks Ricky,

I work full time, pay NI contributions, tax etc. I have never applied for residency, just got by on my Alien ID card, so I will have to apply for residency now? I am probably going to be moving to Miami in the Summer with work so am dubios about applying for residency now if it is not going to be a permanent thing or will this not matter. Really apprececiate your answers.

if you are not to stay long term and the miami thing is a permanent move then i doubt the new e-residency card will be of much use..am not even sure its of much use anyway - only real benefits that i can see is the lower bus fares if you use the buses and the considerably lower residential utility billing that would be avaiable to you

Hi,

as Toon already indicated if your move to Miami is definite then it does not make sense to apply now unless you need a legal document that you are/where resident in Malta.

With a bit of luck you will be able to use your ID card for cheaper residential bus rides after April unless Arriva really clamps down on the residential/non-residential foreigners and stops accepting ID cards as proof of residency.

Cheers
Ricky

to be honest Ricky at the present rate of processing and i cant see it accelerating by much - i doubt they can actualy enforce the expiry at end of march 2013...as they will not be able to process everyone - assuming that everyone applies 25000 EU people at 100 per day (tops) for one day per week = 250days = 250 weeks = 5yrs....diabolical and unachievable in the present guise - methinks changes need to be made

Hi Toon,

we are in Malta ! Everything is possible -)))

Including the option that existing residence documents stay valid after the end of June but not the ID cards !

Anybody living in Malta for more than 3 months and not applying for residency in the past was breaking the law. I personally don't think that should be sanctioned. It would be very unfair on all those who did their homework in the past!

They are not intending to apply a possible fine. The only difference would be no more cheaper bus rides and higher utility rates for non-resident EU ID card holders.

Cheers
Ricky

toonarmy9752 wrote:

- i doubt they can actualy enforce the expiry at end of march 2013.

They can easily enforce the expiry of ID cards end March, but will probably have to extend the expiry of residence certificates beyond June, and people use those on the buses. After all, if you have an ID card you are supposed to have got the residence cert as well.

in view of the lack of enforcement in the past and now theres nothing to say or prove that they will...

I guess we will know for sure in 2 months time :-)