Week End proposal in February

Hello everybody,

I am a new comer to this forum and a new comer in Riyadh. I'll stay here two months until mid march. I'm a 29 yo french guy, who likes to travel, discover countries, getting lost in unknown places, listen to music (when it's possible), and many more things.

As many people, I m currently trying to figure out how to enjoy as much as I can my stay in the city, and get the most of it.
As such, I am trying to plan my forthcoming week ends:)
While it is very nice to go outside of KSA and visit the neighbouring countries, I would like to try to stay here some week end and discover the country/city, as I don't know when I'll have the opportunity to come back here, and meet new people.

So far I'd like to go to Maidan Saleh, and also visit the Janadriyah festival, weither between the thur 14- sat 16 feb, or wed 20 - fri 22 feb, or maybe the following wed-fri week ends.

1)  For Maidan Saleh, I understood that I need to go to madina and then take a bus or a car. The hotel prices the Madina – Al Ula trip at SAR 2500. Is there a cheaper way? If not, anyone planning/interested in going there on the thur 14- sat 16 Feb or the wed 20 – fri 22 Feb or the following week ends?

2) regarding the Janadriyah festival, I understood that “the Festival Janadriyah will be on Thursday 7 \ 2 \ 2013. to Sunday 10 \ 2 \ 2013 the festival will be open for men, but for the families is on Monday 11 \ 2 \ 2013, to Friday, 22 \ 2 \ 2013”. As I am only available on the week ends after the 11/02/2013, would you know if it is possible for a westerner male alone to go? If not, anyone would have a suggestion on how I can go there? maybe some people wanna go with me on the 15-16 February?

Eventually, would you have any suggestion for week ends in Saudi Arabia? Anything planned I can join?

Thanks a lot for all your input

By the way, you might want to check on the dates for the Janadriyah Festival.  I just read an article where the King will be presiding the inaugural festivities on 04.03.2013.

NicoCh wrote:

2)  As I am only available on the week ends after the 11/02/2013, would you know if it is possible for a westerner male alone to go? If not, anyone would have a suggestion on how I can go there? maybe some people wanna go with me on the 15-16 February?

When they refer to 'family' here, what they mean is no single men.  Ask around to see if any married acquaintances or colleagues are going. You don't have to be with them the entire time--just to walk in the gate and meet up later if you traveled in the same car.

Thanks for your answer!
I'll try to confirm the dates.
Does anyone know if something happen during week days on the evening during this festival?
thanks

This festival is great and I have enjoyed it thoroughly each time I've gone.  There's lots of exhibitions, foods, music and dancing (men, of course lol) from the different regions of Saudi Arabia.

I don't remember that there was anything specific on certain dates, but no matter.  You'll enjoy yourself :)

thanks.
And do you know what are the "opening" hours of the festival (I'd like to know if I can go there after work, or if I have to wait for the week ends)?

I've gone there on  weeknights.  Think I stayed until about 11PM!

But I suggest you check the Arab News for exact dates, times.  And there just *might* be special events on different nights, something worth checking, too.

Have fun! :)