Question about indskund/deposit in cooperative housing

Hi all,

My husband and I are likely to be moving to Copenhagen.   I've been looking at housing and it seems that by far the best rent is through a cooperative.  However, they say things like rent (Husleje) 5,000 DK, and deposit (indskund)of 895,000.

Do any of you know what that's about?  I once lived in a housing cooperative in Madison, Wisconsin, about 14.5 years ago, and there one paid only rent with a security deposit equal to the first month's rent.  What is the indskund?  Does one have to pay it up front?

Many thanks!

Andrea

Hi.

I think what you have seen is something called "andels lejligheder", maybe translated to something like semi owned flats, you buy into the cooprative say 895 000 Dkkr and then you pay a rent every month that is cheaper then renting a normal flat because you bought into the cooprative.
It is a way for normal and starter income families and individuals to effort a home.

If you are looking for cheep rent, you must look out side the city centers, like not living in Copenhagen but living in Roskilde, 30 min with train each way...   

Regards Sarah

Thank you!