Thinking of making the move...

Hi All,

I've been visiting Amsterdam (and Holland in general) since I was about 10, and now I'm seriously thinking about making a more permanent move. Anyway, I'm just trying to assess how feasible it would be: as it stands I have no real ties to the UK (I live virtually next door to Stansted airport anyway, so getting home to see family etc will be easy), and can probably afford to support myself for a month or so, but I was just wondering what the job market is like out there for non-Dutch speaking people like me? I've had to come to the conclusion that I'm unemployable in the UK, and frankly I'm sick of it. Of course I've been harbouring the usual romantic view that I'll just be able to swan into a bar and get a job pouring pints, but I'm aware that this probably isn't realistic. Basically, any advice/leads regarding work is what I'm after, and all replies would be greatly appreciated. Please PM me if you want to know more about me - my experience, qualifications and the like.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I look forward to hearing from you.

James.

Welcome to Expat.com James!

Harmonie.;)

Hello James,

Good luck with your project.
Try and check out these two Internet sites :
undutchables.nl
svb.nl/int/en/wonen_werken_nederland.jsp#wizardfocus

Hope this helps you …...  :)
Regards
Hervé

Hey james,

You should check out LabourLink for jobs in Holland. They may be offering me a job as a hotel room attendant.. ofcourse everyones telling me to think carefully about it - I too suffer from over romantic visions of how life should be :P

Good luck in finding a job and hope you find a way out of the UK :)

I understand why you didnt give us much information about your qualifications and education. Being so I suggest you really look around at all the job websites for the netherlands. From there you can see what people are looking for, what qualifications you need generally and the education needed. Do your research. Are you happy with a mediocre job? Do you want to start small but end up in a well paying position? What kind of life do you envision yourself in? These are all questions you need to answer first.

Not sure why you say you are unemployable in the UK, over qualified/under qualified? The job market is bad here and its really hard without qualifications and not speaking Dutch. My husband has been here for 3 years from Morocco, he has studied the language and has passed the exams, but still cant find anything other than cleaning work. He applied for many jobs in hotels in Amsterdam ( he is qualified F&B) but seems you need to be the creme de la creme with a good understanding of the language or a student in Food and Beverage/hotel management. Many hotels just take on students so as to pay a low salary. Very few companies are giving work contracts unless its 0 hour contracts. The language never used to be a problem, when I fist came here from the UK that was in the 1980s and I had no problems finding work, jibs were abundant. The agency The Undutchables only really cater for qualified people. On top of all this renting a place in Amsterdam is very expensive.

Good luck and if you have any other questions, dont hesitate to ask.