Expat meetings in Recife

Hi everyone!

I just joined the forum.  I am considering relocating to Recife and am probably going to visit for a couple of weeks in April first.  Are there any meetings of expats during that time?  I would love to get some practical advice and meet people who have made the move.

May

Hello May.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Aurélie

Oi May;

Tudo bem?  I'm Jimmy from Boston.  I am also new to this site & interested in moving to Recife one day.  I do have an elderly mother to think about so my timetable won't be as quick as yours perhaps but my desire is still there.

May I ask why Recife?  It's a beautiful city but most people tend to gravitate south towards Rio, Sao Paulo, etc.  I happen to be married to a wonderful Brazilian woman from Recife.  She's been here for about 7 years.  She is so proud of her city, state of Pernambuco & region.  Currently most of her family now reside in neighboring Olinda.

Once there, I hope to start a small business, get involved with civic activities and enjoy the best life possible.  How about yourself?

My Portuguese currently is ok but needs ti get better which I'm working on.  Anyway, I wanted to introduce myself, connect and perhaps stay in touch.  Love to hear how you are making out, learn some things, perhaps friends etc.

Hope to hear from you soon.  Best of luck & be well.

Jimmy

Hi,

I am also movbing (back) to Recife and would enjoy participate in any meet of real Expats. I am Swiss-Brazilian and knowing very well Recife and Brazilian Portuguese.

Any news please let me know.

Julio

Hi Aurelie, Jimmy and Julio!

Thanks for the welcome!

It's Recife for me because that is where my boyfriend lives.  I am looking at whether I can move my business to Recife at the moment.  I am going for 3 weeks first to explore and am just starting to study Brazilian Portuguese.  What a beautiful language! 

Have a great week!

May

Hi May!

I'm an expat who just moved to Recife. I've yet to find an expat meeting here, so please let me know if you come across anything! I realize I could start one myself, but I'm having a hard time finding many expats in Recife in general. I'm sure they're here, they just need to come out of the wood-works!

Amy

Hello everyone , i also will ne moving to Recife /Olinda in April for around 6 months to start with , on my previous visits i have only come across one native American ( he was working for a Brazilian mining company ) and i have never seen or heard of any British people , my partner previously worked in a local petrol station and he says Americans are rare and he,s never met any British ,
So lets all try and keep in touch !

Hi Amy and Rick,

Nice to meet you!  I have had to postpone my trip for now.  I hope to come in May or otherwise later in the year.  Plane tickets seem to be very expensive from June through August.  Yes, let's definitely stay in touch!

May

Hi everyone (May, Amy, Rick, et. al),

I just joined and am combing the web for more info about Recife and Olinda. I'll be there for at least 3 months, starting in July 2013. I'm looking for a good school for Portuguese language. I located the one in Olinda, which looks pretty good, but I'm thinking i'd prefer to be in Recife. Any idea with where I might find these kind of schools?

I'm a musician and so in addition to intensive language study, I plan to network and play with local musicians as well. Very excited to experience frevo firsthand!

Looking forward to my sabbatical!

Thanks for any advice you may have!

Hello May, Jimmy, Julio, Amy, Rick and Kate

http://i1320.photobucket.com/albums/u531/wjwoodward/Welcome-banner.jpg

On behalf of the entire Expat-blog Team welcome on board and as Brazil Animator it is my pleasure to welcome you to the country I've called home for eleven years now. I know you're all going to love it as much as I do.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

Hi , let me know any info you get about intensive language schools as i need this as well ,

Hey,

I moved to Recife 10 months ago. I have lived here before for a short period too.
I would love to help you and meet people!

Hey,

I am living in Recife now and I would like to meet new people.
I teach english but I can teach you portuguese  :)
How long will you stay?

Hi everyone!

How would all the Expats / Brazilians living in Recife like to have a get-together? Would love to organize / help organize such an event. Let me know your comments / suggestions!

Cheers!

-Ali

Hi Recife!  Do you know anyone working in or around the Porto Digital?  I´m an American working with an NGO here in Brazil, and I could use some help learning more about it.
Thanks!
-Erik

Hello SkipStepOne, (love that name)

http://elar-archive.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Welcome-banner.jpg

On behalf of everybody here at Expat-blog, welcome on board. I hope your experience here will be both enjoyable and informative.

I'm sure you'll make all kinds of new friends here. If you're looking to network with other expats in Recife just click on the NETWORK tab in the green banner at the top of the Brazil Forum page; then click on Recife in the "20 Destinations" list to open just the Recife section of the forum, If you're looking specifically for other American then select that in the "Nationality" field or all if you prefer a broader search. Select LOCAL in the "Status" field, choose gender and age group if desired, click on and you'll get a list of those members in the Recife area. Unfortunately it doesn't appear that there are any Americans who've indicated Recife as their location, but I sure that there must be a few. There are several other members of other nationalities who indicate that they're English speakers.

Cheers,
William James Woodward, EB Experts Team

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum]

Jessica
I'm from Florida now in Recife.
Looking around to teach English.
Contact me if you have any ideas.
Lived in Br for over 8 years in the past.

Guy

hello helloooo!

Is any foreigner living in recife that wants to meet up?!! Lets meet people over hereee.

hi :) do u still in reecife doing meeting with new people?

Hey ExpatBlog, I am new on this website and new to Recife, BR as well. I moved from the Metro Detroit Area to here a few weeks ago and will be here for the next few years. I would love to meet other expats in the area. Please let me know if there any expat meetings planned in the area! :)

I am thinking of living on Av. Boa Viagem (the apartment I was checking out was between the 2nd and 3rd Jardim (gardens)). Any advice?

That area is a good one.
Just about anywhere from Pina down to the church square is safe.
What will you be doing there for 2 years ?

My wife is going to college there and I am back in Florida.

Guy

Hi Guy, Glad to hear that it's a good and safe area. I am an engineer in the auto industry and will be working here in Boa Viagem/Porto Digital.

Is your wife from US too? It'd be great to meet other locals/expats in the area. Do let me know when you are around!

Sandeep

There is a community for expats https://www.internations.org. They conduct expat meets as well.If you register in internations ,whenever there is expat meet you will get a notification.

Are you working for the new FIAT factory north of Recife ?
I actually applied for a tech job there but never heard anything from them.
Are they hiring assembly techs or or engineers ?
I have a lot of electrical and electronics plus mechanical experience, also a FAA licensed aircraft mechanic.
NO, my wife is Brasilian and from that area. She has one more year to go till she finishes her degree.
Might be coming back down in March 2016.

You can also try the area down near the church square called Setubal. Some cheaper aptos there or over next to Recife Shopping Mall.
Other option for much cheaper but nice aptos is Candeias south of Boa Viagem. It's a longer bus ride to town but can find a cute little place for R$800-1200 a month furnished.

The U.S. Consulate in Recife is pleased to announce a Town Hall Meeting for U.S. citizens, and their families, scheduled for Wednesday, March 30, 2016 at 6:30 p.m. The Town Hall will be held at the Courtyard Marriott Recife Boa Viagem Hotel located on Av. Engenheiro Domingos Ferreira, 4661, Recife- PE. The meeting will feature speakers from the Consulate as well as information on absentee voting, U.S. federal benefits, and all of the other resources and services which the Consulate provides.
The Town Hall will be a great opportunity to meet consulate representatives. This is also a perfect venue to get to know other U.S. citizens in the region and share experiences and resources with each other. We look forward to meeting you and your family.
Individuals who wish to attend should send an email to recifeacs[at]state.gov no later than Friday, March 18. To ensure access to venue, the email must include the full name and CPF or a government issued photo identification (such as REG, Brazilian or U.S. passport) for each individual attending. Family members are welcome to attend. Individuals who RSVP will receive a confirmation email.
As always, we strongly recommend that U.S. citizens traveling to and/or residing in Brazil enroll in the Department of State's Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) at www.Travel.State.gov. By enrolling in STEP, you will receive the latest security updates. It also makes it easier for the U.S. embassy or nearest U.S. consulate to contact you in an emergency.

Hey all,

I am here from India & I am currently living in Boa Viagem area.

Hello I have been back in Australia now for a few years but will be back in Brazil in April this year

Hi Sandeep,
How are you?
There is a community of Indians here. My wife is from Kerala. If you want to get into contact. Please let me know

Namaste Vishak!
Aap kaise hai? I know a community of Indians here!! Please let me know if you are interested to meet them!!

Hi,
is there another one of those US meetings ?

I have been living in India for one year. Would love to get in contact with the Indian community of Recife !
We organise also good curry nights in Itamaraca during weekends if you are interested ;-)

I check the progress of my  process on the MJ site This is how it shows. Can anyone have an idea or know someone who have been in the same situation, please help with the present process trends.

Protocolo: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Código/RNE: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Estrangeiro(a): xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Tipo de Naturalização: Naturalização ordinária
Situação do Processo: Requisito Pendente

We can do it!!
Just a curiosity:
Where did you live in India?

I lived in Mumbai in 1997-98.... and have been back at least once a year since ;-)

Hi everyone, Im native from Recife looking to meet indians to learn about culture and some language because i want go to master in economics in Goa. If you interested in help me i will be happy and try help you too =)