Proof of return/onward travel upon entry?

Hey I am traveling to live in Ecuador 2/20/13. Many things I have been reading say that upon entry into Ecuador I WILL  be asked for a proof of onward travel. Others say I they probably WON'T. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Sweets:
I strongly doubt you will be asked. 

One way flight tickets are expensive. Consider purchasing using airline miles.

The new Quito airport is supposed to be inaugurated Feb 20. I suggest you consider arriving a few days earlier to miss the potential fiasco.

fdmcg,

Thank you, wish I had asked before...already bought my ticket haha. It is what it is. I got a good deal on my one way, and I don't have miles.

I just want to enter on the 90 day visa, because I am looking for work and am hoping I will be sponsored for a work visa. Just don't want to be stopped on the way in ya know.

My issue wasn't with the government, it was with the airlines. It seems they are supposed to be responsible in seeing you have a return ticket. When I checked in at Miami with AA. they asked for proof of return to US.  I have heard that there are certain travel sights that will allow you to cancel the return portion of your ticket, with no fees. ( LAN being one carrier that is said to do this )
I ended up on my up coming trip to book a round trip. On my return flight, I took a very un friendly flight, with multiple layovers to get the lowest cost on the flight. I'll just eat that loss. It actually came out cheaper than a 1 way flight. Go figure.
Good Luck

Most countries require an onward ticket. Two common workarounds:

1. Buy a ticket for a cheap 'throwaway' flight. That what I did when I was coming to the Philippines for a year or so to get around their requirement that I have an onward flight that leaves within the window of the tourist visa. I bought a ticket from Angeles to Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia on Tiger (a cheapie airline) for about twenty bucks. Check to see if there are cheap flights to somewhere nearby (Lima?).

2. Get a ticket with a refundable fare, cancel it as soon as you clear customs, and then wait a week or two for the refund.

Bob/Zen, I used a one way MIA/UIO ticket on AA purchased with miles. I used AA as their miles requirement was 50% of round trip. Perhaps it was not a problem with AA as I already had my Ecuador resident visa.

I have travelled to Ecuador 4 times and only had a return ticket once and I have never been asked to produce or even asked about my trip.  Have an address where you are going to stay or even a reservation at a hostal.  The only thing I was ever asked that may have made them deny me entry was the cash I was carrying with me, when they were satisfied I had enough to get by on they were happy and let me through.

Alberta, as Zen points out the issue of a one way ticket is not with Ecuador immigration, it is a potential airline requirement leaving the USA.

Regarding cash, the $10K notification (a USA and Ecuador requirement) does not limit you from bringing more cash into Ecuador, just that it be reported. There is a limitation of cash you can carry out of Ecuador which I beleve is now approximately $4,500/ person. (there is a 5% government fee on bank transfers out of Ecuador).

I am flying TACA and Lacsa...anyone had problems with these airlines? I am nervous that I will not be granted entry, but I don't want to splurge the extra money and deal with a refund if I don't have to. 

I can bring proof of stay with a friend and hostel...

Let me know please.

Sweets, Taca/Lacsa are related companies. Call Taca to confirm you will not have problem at wherever your flight originates or stops in transit.

Alberta Chris, how much cash do they consider "enough to get by on"? By cash, do you mean actual cash or just a bank statement? Thanks, Brian

Brian, I am sure either would do. I was never asked if I had X dollar amount, thy just asked how much I had on me.

Chris.

You will need proof of a return ticket if you are getting the 6 month visa (you can print out an online reservation as proof)- and also for the 6 month visa you will need some sort of bank statement.

Thanks Amy! Already arrived last week on a one way and had no problems whatsoever! Thank you!

Okay, thanks Chris!

I am looking at flying Toronto to Bogota to Quito. I am seeing conflicting information on whether I need a return ticket Bogota to Quito to enter Ecuador. The total price is about the same as ticket from Toronto to Quito, but I just want to be clear, if anyone knows for sure or can give me a website to check.

Thanks!

Gary

Gary,

I was in the same position as you a couple months ago when I moved to Ecuador. There is a lot of conflicting information out there. I had even called the consulate and they said that I shouldn't have a problem. The thing is it usually isn't Ecuador that has the problem, it is the airline you are flying with. They gave me quite a bit of flack as I checked in and really tried to scare me. Fortunately I made them call customs and get a written ok from the Ecuador side.

That being said they also questioned me when I entered Ecuador at customs. I just told them that I had interviews lined up and would be receiving a Visa once I received a job, which was the truth. If it had been another situation I don't know if I would have run into troubles or not.

My advice to avoid problems is just to buy a return flight. If you are not sure when you will be returning, purchase a ticket that can be changed. Look into your airline as well, because most international flights can be changed for a small fee of about 100 dollars. Let me know if you have any other questions and I will do my best to answer! Best of luck!

Thanks for the information. I went through the same sort of thing when I went to Panama. I was told that I could just buy a bus ticket out of Panama to Costa Rica, but I didn't want to take a chance so I checked with the airline in Mexico City before catching my flight. They told me I had to have a return flight so I bought one. When I entered Panama they didn't even ask me and I got a refund on the return flight shortly thereafter. All so confusing.

I might mention that during my time in Panama they also changed the regulations that you had to leave the country every ninety days to renew your tourist Visa to every thirty days. After howls from the ExPat community they changed it back to ninety days, but only for Americans and not Canadians. It resulted in a scary time driving around with an expired Visa until it got changed yet again.

These countries don't seem to realize what a wrench they throw in people's plans when they keep making what appears to be unjustified changes. Not only does it screw up people's plans for visiting or immigrating, but it drives Real Estate agents nuts when the rules change. In the long run it just hurts the economy of the country.

I'm thinking I'll buy the return ticket to Bogota just to cover all the bases.

Thanks for your help. If you are willing to help me privately with another issue that would be most appreciated. [email protected]

Gary,

If you don't mind, I would prefer if you messaged me through ex-pat blog.

I am thinking of a 3 month visit to Ecuador but would like the option of staying a month, Costa Rica for a month and possibly Mexico for a month. Would anyone know if not having a return ticket will haunt me where ever I go, as I would like to pick my own return date. Thanks for any help.   Bryan

I would call the airlines and ask their policy on changing return flights. Sometimes it is for a small fee of a hundred dollars. If you have the money, you can also by a business class ticket which allows you to basically do what you want...can get pricey though.

I am not sure of the regulations in Mexico or Costa Rica. If I were you I would talk to the airlines, the consulates for those countries where you live, and possible a travel agent, to get a well rounded answer.

As I said in prior posts, sometimes it is more the airline that pesters you than the actual country. Also, many times it depends on the person you receive in customs. Information on the internet can be very ambiguous so be careful of that too.

In my opinion I would say try to have some proof of onward travel, because my experience was super annoying. That being said, most of these countries could use the money from tourism so it can go both ways. Good luck, keep us posted on the information you find! Happy travels.

stick1947 wrote:

I am thinking of a 3 month visit to Ecuador but would like the option of staying a month, Costa Rica for a month and possibly Mexico for a month. Would anyone know if not having a return ticket will haunt me where ever I go, as I would like to pick my own return date. Thanks for any help.   Bryan

I'm not sure, but I think you are asking if Costa Rica and Mexico also require onward tickets. The answer is yes (according to Google). I don't know how strict they are in enforcing their rules.

Thanks to Sweets and BobH for their fast response.  I wonder if anyone would know if a bank statement and proof of pension income as well as a bunch of traveler's cheques would smooth the way as I am not cheap but hate to spend money on something that I am not going to use. OK so maybe I am cheap. LOL.   Bryan

I am here in Ecuador on a 90 day tourist visa. No return/onward ticket was asked of me when I got off the plane. This has been my experience throughout my travels in Latin America. Mexico, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Nicaragua, nobody has ever asked me to show a return/onward ticket.

The only exception was when I tried to enter the US from Canada on the Greyhound....

I have been getting replys both ways so it is good to hear the you have actually done this.  I am thinking a month each in Ecuador, Costa Rica and Mexico. Thanks  Bryan

defuera wrote:

I am here in Ecuador on a 90 day tourist visa. No return/onward ticket was asked of me when I got off the plane. This has been my experience throughout my travels in Latin America. Mexico, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Nicaragua, nobody has ever asked me to show a return/onward ticket.

That's good to know, but where I've heard reports of problems has been getting onthe plane -- the airlines often demand to see a return ticket (that has been my experience, though on flights to other countries than Ecuador).

I take it that did not happen to you, and I've heard the same here from others. But I've also heard the contrary. It seems the airlines are inconsistent.

Bob

BobH wrote:

I've heard reports of problems has been getting onthe plane -- the airlines often demand to see a return ticket

I suspect the airlines are just saying that to make a quick dollar. I mean, if you ask a salesman if you should spend money, generally the salesman will think it's a good idea. I would avoid putting the idea in their head.

Anyway, come to think of it, I've only bought tickets online in recent years, so have not had to deal with a salesman.

Another trick I've heard of, but no tried, is to start to buy a ticket online. Just before paying, you are often allowed to reserve the ticket and pay later. Print out the page with your reservation, then cancel it. Take the printed page with you to the airport. If anyone asks, there is your ongoing/return flight reservation.

stick1947 wrote:

I have been getting replys both ways so it is good to hear the you have actually done this.  I am thinking a month each in Ecuador, Costa Rica and Mexico. Thanks  Bryan

You should confirm this info from another source, but I heard from IL that if you fly directly from Ecuador to Costa Rica then you need proof that you have had the Yellow Fever vaccine.

For 1-way flights to Ecuador, the airlines all require non-resident foreigners to show proof of return or onward travel.  This can be a return ticket or a bus, plane, boat or train ticket to another country.

In Ecuador's case, it's the airlines that require it; immigration officials rarely (if ever) ask to see your inbound or return plane tickets.

If you don't know when you're going back, there a couple options ...

-Buy a refundable return flight then later cancel and get it refunded, but this is expensive.
-Or, you can buy a bus ticket online (at a site like EcuadorBuses.com) from Ecuador, to either Peru or Columbia.  These are a lot cheaper than flights - look for depatures from Quito or from Guayaquill.    You can used the e-receipt that you get immediately to satisfy the airlines.

I did the bus ticket dodge (bought a ticket from Guayaquil to whatever is the northernmost town in Peru). It cost me about $40, as I recall.

Turned out I didn't need it, the airline (Avianca/Taca) never asked.

1) Many airlines will not allow you to board the flight if you do not have proof of onward travel. Nothing to do with Ecuador immigration. Do you want to take this risk when you go to check-in?

2) Simple solution: Expedia.com offer 24 hour 100% refund on most tickets purchased through them. Use your brain and do the obvious to avoid the issue... (no need to spell it out I would hope)

Cheers.

I entered Ecuador by bus. I was not asked for proof of onward travel. I did have to purchase and quickly return a ticket when flying into Columbia. Deeve007's advice is solid.

you might should
ambiguity leaves too many interpretation
seems like a mixed response
I wasn't asked...dunno

interesting to her airlines have taken on the role of immigration. didn't experience it, but everything changes from day to day.
I'm talking to LAN and asking about the refundable...probably more, but they're at least looking. Travelocity was pretty friendly about changing dates to return...but...
just some thoughts

I was asked for my trip agenda but I flew two air lines with three flight changes and four airports.  It was American Airlines that asked, not Air Canada.  The advice to book a return or a bus for points beyond and cash back in  is very sound thinking and I will do this next time

When I flew in last June to get my residency in Ecuador, on American Airlines, I was not asked for onward travel. Jesse mentioned he was in Colombia, and they required it.. I just returned from Bogota, flying Avianca,  one way, and was not asked for on ward travel proof. (I was driving a motorcycle back to Ecuador)
I hesitate to give advice based on my experience. A cheap bus ticket would help to alleviate any fears you may have.
Safe Travels,
Neil

Naturally, the airlines would prefer folks buy round-trip tickets.

In the post 9/11 era, there's the additional worry about one-way terrorists going to certain places to cause trouble.

But historically, the airlines have been smart enough not to hassle well-dressed Gringos headed to Ecuador about this technicality.

cccmedia in Quito

I got around this once by buying a ticket from Spirit Air over the phone from the airport when my airline refused to let me board without proof of onward travel. I canceled it the minute I passed customs. The timing was key to getting a full refund.

Wish things   went so well for me with United. Still fighting over a $500 change return date with a doctor's note. The paperwork got lost in the mail. When packet of forms finally arrived in the right place they claimed the doctor's note not in it. Have spent a small fortune in certified mail with return receipts. Credit card company is helping me.  In my experience filing a dispute with a credit card company is easier than dealing with the  merchant. They credit your account and the merchant has sixty days to respond and $500 is chicken feed for an airline.