Wondering how much we can expect to pay in: >

Hey Guys

we (my partner and I) are moving to Vanuatu in the middle of the year, and just wondering how much we can expect to pay in:

-rent (for a basic one bedroom place)
-groceries
-commodities (electricity) et cetera

Also any ideas where to start to look for the above?

Thanks so much!

Steph

Hi Steph and welcome to Expat.com!

A new thread has been created on Vanuatu forum for better visibility.;)

Harmonie.

Hi Steph,
Rents start at about $700 a month in and around Port Vila. Do you want to live in or out of town?. Plenty of "to let" ads in the papers which you can subscribe to online (vanuatu daily post and the independent). You will pay a higher price through a real estate agent. Cars are VERY expensive here, the cheapest I have ever seen was $5000 aus (yes really). Electricity is probably the most expensive in the world at about 70 cents kW/hour. Food can be very cheap if you buy at the markets.
Cheers,
Nick.

Ive lived in Oz all my life. Am a healthy single man with no dependant children. Currently work on a mine site in the South Aust. outback.
Hoping to retire in about a year or so but it is so expensive to live in Australia. I want somewhere where my retirement money will not get chewed up in taxes.
Have travelled to Nepal and India.  Also done a bit of travelling around western Europe. None of which appeal to me to live as an expat.
I'm looking for an alternative Oz friendly Country (not in Europe)to call home for about 2 or 3 years. Who knows maybe longer if I like it. 
Anybody got any suggestions where I might find such a place :)

Rent about 1,000/month for a pretty basic one bed place.
Electricity about double what you pay in Europe odd Aussie, you alo need to pay for gas for cooking and for water ...again double what you pay in Europe ....groceries maybe 25 percent more although some are no more expensive ......compared to supermarket prices in Uk Vanuatu is expensive....although from what I see maybe only as I said maybe 25 percent over Aussie.

Don't let that put you of however because like very where you can live just as cheap as you want ....beef is very cheap as are all the basics ......a lot of entertaining goes on at home and then you go to the beach at weekends .... A beer in the supermarket is about 3 dollars Aus.
Lots of people drink cava as well which is bit of an institution and very cheap a....
Fuel is about same price as Europe, cars a very expensive but then you never drive big distances so you don't need much ....local buses are cheap and they go anywhere - okay for a while until you get organised ...
Any way good luck with that
Gordon