Public primary schools teaching in English?

Vicky,

You can apply for an LSA through the school. I believe it can be a lengthy process but once sorted, your son will have his own teacher with him throughout the day and will benefit from the one to one teaching. He is still taught in the class with his classmate but the LSA will will help and guide him through the work. Contact the school about the process...Be pushy!!

Cox, that is amazing - I had no idea and it would make a massive difference . Thank you so much for the information. I will sound the school out tomorrow. When you say to be pushy (tricky as I am a wimp!) Is it because the school will challenge it or just because it is a slow process? I have all his school and doctors and Occupational therapy letters, we were just hoping not to need them...

Pushy for both reasons really. They were in shortage but I think the government is or has trained/employed more LSA's. Pushy because despite my love for the Maltese you will come across blank face's, mis-information, pointed in the wrong direction and just general brick walls, so be pushy lol! The government is aware for the need and I believe the system is set up a bit better now so it might not be as bad as I make out. Although you have your own notes, this might get you through the door so to speak but you may have to have an independent assessment and I have been lead to believe that this is what takes the time. You could have it done privately though, I think?
Keep me informed of how it goes. I know someone who is head of the ADHD help organisation, although it is a different problem, she fights cases for LSA's and could point you in the right direction if needed.

coxf0001 wrote:

There are government 'after school clubs' with qualified teachers for homework. There are also private homework clubs and extra lessons in most subjects with private tutors.

In previous years, the after school club at school has translated all of their social studies (in Maltese) for exam revision.

the only problem with this is that it is not available in all schools, same as klaab 3-16
so my problem is that if my wife starts working, baby would be safe in nursery, but what exactly am I supposed to do after 14:00 with older one(7 yo)?

so far solution is - only I work

as for maltese, when we came (less then a year ago), my older didn't speak english or maltese, he got extra education in english and was learning from day 1 maltese in school but without pressure, this year (y 3 now) they offered us a extra lessons for him during school hours, which for me is very good thing

and for homework - waaaaay to much in my opinion, sometimes I wonder what are they doing at school if I get 8 pages of homework + to study something as homework

Does your school have a facebook page? You could post to others about sharing a minibus to get to the nearest Klabb 3-16. You may find that there are a few that would like to make the most of the service but can't. There maybe even something running already between the parents. What has your nearest Klabb 3-16 said??

Hi everyone x hope to get a little info regarding state primary schools. Me and my 7 year old are moving in May this year and moving to Pieta.  Anyone one know of any state primary schools who already have a few english in there? Also do I just call a few of the schools once I arrive? Thanks in adance x

Hello, I realize that this discussion is a bit old, but I thought I would try to add to it anyway. Are there any other families moving to Malta with children who don't speak English or Maltese? We are moving from Finland and my  youngest (8 years old) daughter does not know any English at all... It would be very important to learn English language first I think and to be honest that is our main reason for spending the winter in Malta. We could live anywhere in Malta if we only could find schools for children aged 8, 11 and 14 that use English almost fully as the teaching language and are friendly towards foreigners. Is St Paul Bay school like that? Lots of expats? I would appreciate any helpBR, Outi

we'll as far as I know, all goverment school teach some subjects in maltese
if you want only english teaching you'll need private school, as that will be costly for 3 kids

As far as Im aware and have been told,  the public primary schools teach in maltese.  However,  the Catholic public schools teach in English. We are looking to move and i would also like to get the correct information regarding education as i have 3 kids and would never be able to afford private education for all of them

I understood that the teaching language is mainly english in Some of the schools and that it Would be possible for expats To choose not to study Maltese and religion which are taught in maltese. I found out that there is a primary school and a co-ed ( boys and girls mixed?) middle school in Naxxar. I wonder how the language situation is in these schools? Does anybody know? Any other city where all kids 8,11,14 could go to school and would have a lot of expats and therefore use mainly English as teaching language? Please help! Love, Outi

Hi can i ask you the name of the school you are talking about where are most of the subjects in English?
Thank you, Tati.

Tati Tat wrote:

Hi can i ask you the name of the school you are talking about where are most of the subjects in English?
Thank you, Tati.

You have replied to a post from three years ago so will probably not get a reply.

Yes i know but have tried to get an answer. Thank you

Tati Tat wrote:

Yes i know but have tried to get an answer. Thank you

The reason I mentioned it is because the person you referred to has not been participating on here for the last two years, hopefully someone may be able to help you.

Damsel wrote:

My daughter is aged 5, and her first and only language (so far) is English. She is in a Government school in Sliema, called St Clares College. For now, her class is taught in English and Maltese. She cliams that more or less everything is said in 2 languages. There are 14 children in her class and 6 of them are 'foreigners'. I dont know about any other Government schools in Malta though.

Hi Damsel,
Sorry to bother you.
This is Kwong who lives from Hong Kong. I also plan to move to Malta and would like to get the info on school. I have 2 boys who 12 yo & 5 yo. Since I am not much money to spend into private or international school. Would you share more info on this St. Clares College? Do they teach those subjects in English? What is the class size? Does the teacher be nice and helpful?
I really appreciate your help!!

Kwong

You are referring to a post from 2013, so unlikely to get a response from that person.

GozoMo wrote:

You are referring to a post from 2013, so unlikely to get a response from that person.

GozoMo,
Would you have any comment on this topic since I have reviewed some of them as quite old posted already.
Thanks!

Regards,
Kwong

Why not start a new topic, sorry I cannot help you, hopefully someone can good luck.

@ HongKongese > I invite you to create a new thread on the Malta forum so that the active members can get in touch with you rapidly.

@ All > Since this thread is old (2013) and obviously outdated, i am closing it.

Thank you,

Priscilla
Expat.com team  :cheers:

[ Topic closed ]

Closed