Thinking of moving to Thailand!!

Hello! I've never been to Thailand before. I have a friend who is teaching English there right now. Is Thailand generally safe for a single woman to live??

Hi BigBuddhaLady,

Welcome to Expat.com!

I have moved your topic on the Thailand forum for better visibility.

You may also introduce yourself?

Thank you,
Christine

Thank you thank you! Hello! I recently turned 30 and I'm in search of a better quality of life! I've always wanted to travel to Thailand and it wasn't until recently that I learned that I could work as an English teacher without a college degree. For the past 2 weeks I've been reading about Thailand non stop. I am incredibly excited about starting over in Thailand! I want to be a member of a community, I'm not the party type.

good choice!

Hi, getting a job teaching English in Thailand without a degree may not be quite as easy as has been suggested to you. There is also the matter of a TEFL qualification(required by most  legal employers)

Not wanting to pour water on your "fire" but have you actually been to Thailand? Have you any idea of the culture and what its like living and working here?

This is quite a good place to ask some of the questions that really need asking before you contemplate moving here.

I am aware of TEFL.. As I've mentioned I have a friend in Thailand who has gone through the same program. I would not be considering this if I didn't have someone I trusted giving me advice. I've heard that finding a job as a trainer is not as easy to come by but possible if I can afford extra time to search.

Right now I'm living in North Carolina and it took me about 3 months to find a minimum wage part time job. -If the job market is better than that in Thailand I'll be happy. I'm not looking to get rich or live a 5 star life style I'm just looking for a way of life that can afford me a few simple pleasures and a little financial security and affordable healthcare.

Also I think the issue of woman's safety is a question I really need answered. I've been over seas before. When I was 13 I stayed in Egypt with my parents for 3 months. I remember things that I saw and experienced over there that's why I'm asking this question. It's not meant to be offensive. Everything I've read speaks very well of Thai people. As an American woman we are taught to be afraid. It's a fear that lingers in the backs of our minds and I would ask this questing no matter where I was thinking of moving to whether that be around the block or across the globe.

Basically I'd like to hear from any single female expats and their experiences moving to Thailand. A few reassuring stories and accounts would put my mind at rest.

One second on google and I found this message board if there are any other women or female identified people that have the same worries or questions that I do.. so far I've read some pretty good tips.

thaivisa.com/forum/topic/151665-safety-tips-for-women-in-thailand/

:D

You can get work teaching English without a degree although you may have to hunt around and take some time to get a job that suits you and supports you.

I am retired in Chiang Mai and that is how I get my visa now, but I used to teach conversational English to Thai Army Officers. I just went and offered my services and with the General's signature on my visa application it was pretty smooth sailing. I also taught at a private elementary school and at the Word Permit office. You need both a visa and work permit to be able to teach.

Most Thai people do not speak English and if they do, they usually don't speak it well and this is widely seen as something that is holding the country back economically.

Is it safe for a woman depends a lot on your lifestyle and location. If you have your own vehicle and live in a good area, don't hang out at bars late at night and stuff like that, I don't think it should be any more unsafe than NC. BTW I moved here from Chapel Hill.  :D