Why Retirees Leave Family Behind to Relocate in Latin/South America

Here is a topic my wife and I are tolling with as we, as retirees, consider packing-up, selling our properties, etc. and heading south to retire in the warm climes with our two adopted grand daughters.  We will be leaving behind our children (who thinks we are nuts), 8 other grand children, not to mention many extended family and friends.  Also, not to mention, the many challenges of raising our two grand daughters.  That aside, and yes, we know the first responses will be: "Well, you can just make trips back and forth to the states for family visits," or "Well, just suck it up, make a decision for yourselves, don't worry about what your family thinks and move on," problem solved right.  Well, maybe yes, maybe no depending on many variables, such as money flow for us retirees.  So, how about it all you expats out there in Latin or South America who gave a lot of serious thought to this topic before you took the leap to make such a big change in your life.  We would like to hear your thought on this matter and how you dealt with it.  No sarcasm please and this is a sensitive issue.  Thanks, in advance, for all your candid and honest replies.  Mike

My DH and I are not overly concerned about packing up and moving as we have always planned on being a bit Nomadic when we retire permanently.  We basically keep in touch with family via a the phone as mine is scattered all over the States.  We are still up in the air thus the reason to come and do an exploratory visit.  We may fall in love with Belize (we have enjoyed the other two trips we had that included Belize)or it may not be our cup of tea - that is the great part about doing the research.  Our first trip will be for about two weeks and if we find a section of the Country we enjoy better than others then we will then return and stay just in that spot.. living like a local - going to the market, doing every day things to see if it suits us.  I do know that many that we know will be supportive - come on, they want an exotic place to vacation in the future!  But there will be those who voice concern as well.  We have always had a bit of wanderlust... so don't think that many will be surprised.  Whatever you decide to do - do it because it is what is best for you, not those around you.

Good Luck!

Laurie
The Cruisin Camper

Cruisin Camper wrote:

Whatever you decide to do - do it because it is what is best for you, not those around you.

I agree.  We don't have children, but we left our parents behind to come to Belize.  The way we look at it, though, they are only a flight away.  We didn't live in the same town in the US anyway. It would have been harder to leave under those circumstances, but our parents want us to be happy and to live our lives, so they have been supportive, even though they may secretly think we're a bit crazy!

Emily

Yes, leaving close family and friends, even my career behind is very hard.  The decision was not one made in haste, or was it an easy one.  We changed our minds several times, then about a year before we came to Belize, we realized that we had a dream once and if we didn't do it now, we would never be able to do it! Thank goodness my husband  brings in a good retirement and we can have our oldest granson part of time to share our dream and adventure! And thank goodness for majic jack, skype, our blog site, facebook, and facetime!!!  Gotta keep in touch...

Hello Mperry:  Most of us living here struggled with the same decision you are facing now.  We're in Belize and one of the benefits of this place is the availability of relatively low-cost airfare out of Cancun. Often there are even direct flights.  The other good thing is that if an emergency should happen and you "need" to be home, from here you can be home within 8/12hrs in most locations. One of the good things about Belize is that it is the only English (official language)country in Central America. Leaving the US will be a "shock to the system" and don't expect everthing to be peaches and cream when you arrive.  There are vast differences in culture and managing your expectations is key. I have no idea about your grand-daughters ages, but you should know that education here (all types) is funded by the parents.  It's not terribly expensive, but there is no public education system, well that's not entirely true, I believe the first year or two may be government provided but not much after that. Also children here wear uniforms to school and that will differ dependent on your school choice. It is somewhat liberating to be away from your children (in some respects) and presents some emotional tugs in others.  You can keep in touch via Skype/w camera and if you wish you can buy a (local from OK) phone number that allows your kids to call you (like a local call) if they don't have the Skype program. The cost is $60/yr and you will have to subscribe to a Skype friendly internet program where ever you land.  Wish you all the best.