Impor Tax on cars

Hi
I am thinking about bringing my Car to Malta when I move there later this year,
Does any one know what the import duty would be on a one year old car that I only purchased in September 2012.
Also in the event that I do bring it over can you give me any advise on what paper work will be required and who will I get it from
Thank you Graham

You should be able to calculate the tax due via the tool found here:

http://www.valuation.vehicleregistratio … hicle.aspx

if your car less then 6 month old or the mileage is under 6000km you have to pay VAT.

check out this guide:

http://grtu.net/data/index.php?option=c … &Itemid=45

Entity wrote:

if your car less then 6 month old or the mileage is under 6000km you have to pay VAT.

check out this guide:

http://grtu.net/data/index.php?option=c … &Itemid=45

I must be doing something wrong as the import tax seems really high - the same as the vehicle cost for sme of my examples....  At the import site guide not the VAT guide.....

Whereas sites like Jimmys cars have far more reasonable imported cars.  Are there hidden costs with these or are my costs wrong on the link above....?

Many thanks

Paul

thought this might be handy

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/ve … dex_en.htm

PaulBart1 wrote:

I must be doing something wrong as the import tax seems really high

no, you are probably doing it just right, the registration tax is really high

PaulBart1 wrote:

Whereas sites like Jimmys cars have far more reasonable imported cars.  Are there hidden costs with these or are my costs wrong on the link above....?

I've never seen that site, but maybe prices exclude registration tax ?

Acc. to the formula:
Total Registration Tax = (CO2 x X% x RV) + (length x Y% x RV)
you can see, that the Registration Tax depends on fuel consumption, length and value of the vehicle.
A quite new big car with strong engine can be very expensive.

But that's not all, you also have to consider the annual license fees which are increasing with the age of the car.
For cars registered before 2009 they depend on the motor size (cc) and after 2009 on the nominal fuel consumption (CO2).
There can be a difference up to 1000,- per year (!!!) for cars with big engines producing 280g/km CO2.

The difference between petrol and diesel engines is only the lower CO2 emission, but that's not really an advantage, since usually the diesel engines are bigger and have more hp than the petrol ones, e.g. with a small 60hp petrol car you can have a lot of fun in Malta, a 60hp diesel car is lame ... so you choose a bigger one and pay the same than for the petrol car.

Recently we bought a little SMART which is now 8 years has a petrol engine and was registered in Malta just 2 months ago. The license fee for this year is 183,- (and goes up to 300,- in 5 years) and if it would have been registered before 2009 it would cost only 87,- now and goes up to 100,- only in 5 years.
But since a local SMART in the same condition is 1000,- or even 2000,- more expensive it would pay back not before a several years.

PaulBart1 wrote:

I must be doing something wrong as the import tax seems really high - the same as the vehicle cost for sme of my examples....  At the import site guide not the VAT guide.....

Many thanks

Paul

My sort research indicated, there are no cheap used cars in Malta.
If you are lucky you find someone who is leaving the island and you can bargain...

The import tax is pretty high, it can be almost the same as the price of the used car in UK. You can import from Japan, but only if the car is under 5 years, because there is a "minimal tax" to pay, which is pretty high.. and its over the import tax.

My example: I checked Toyota Spacio 2002-2003 ( corolla verso in eu market).
there are some used on Maltapark around 6.000 EUR.
From the uk:
Car price 1500-2500 EUR
RORO Shipping: 1000 EUR
Import taxes + licenses: 1250 EUR
Totalling around 4500-5000EUR but as it's a newly registered old vehicle, the road tax will be much higher.

For hybrid vehicles there is a 30% reduction on the CO2 based part of the registration tax..

I don't know what prices u have seen, but it easily happens that price is the foreign (UK, Japan) price without shipping and registration taxes.

Regards,

Andras

matm911 wrote:

Acc. to the formula:
Total Registration Tax = (CO2 x X% x RV) + (length x Y% x RV)

And the proper registration value (RV) determined when your car inspected in Malta, the valuation page gives you an estimated value.

Thank you for the information,
The web site was very useful
It seems that it would cost me around 3000 euros to bring my car to Malta.
I think I may have to have a rethink, and sell my car in England and then buy one when I arrive in Malta,
Thanks again for your help