Prescription drug cost?

Ok, I know that there are a million and one different drugs out there - but for example, can you readily get commonly used (here in the States) prescription medications for various ailments - antibiotics, cholesterol medications - think Lipitor, Crestor that type of thing and blood pressure medicine - really just a diuretic type thing?  A change in lifestyle may make some of these thigs obsolete, but it does not hurt to be prepared.  Trying to look at all the angles on costs and the like.

Thanks so much in advance for your insight and participation.

Laurie
The Cruisin Camper

Thank goodness I don't know the answer to this question. :)  The only prescription drug I use is an asthma inhaler, and I have not needed to buy a new one as I came down with two from the US.  I hope someone else can answer your question!

I know some friends got some Rx's filled in Chetumal, Mexico, but not sure what they were all for.

Yes. The formulary for Belize is relatively current, the meds are typically generics. One of my Rx's is not on their list, but talking with the Corozal pharmacist, no problem, there are other choices without putting my health at risk. The prices are per each pill and you can purchase as many as you want/need, no prescription needed--we took in the medication bottle and, voila, they had them in stock! My husband's BP pill was $20USD for a 1 month supply.

Thanks for the info!

Not a problem getting antibiotics without a prescription. Shop around though. My husband had a bad sinus infection and got three erythromyicin tablets at one drugstore in Belmopan that cost $54BZ and at the drugstore across the street got the same erythromyicin at a cost of $28BZ for 12 tablets!

I have a question. I have really bad anxiety disorder. I'm hoping being closer to the water and being able to meditate on the beach will help, but what if I need to see a doctor? Will they prescribe me the meds I need (but try not take have to take) in Belize?

Dear Cruisin'.  You may (or may not) be able to get the names you mentioned.  However there will probably be a Mexican/Canadian form of the same drug available under a different name and as long as the compound is the same you shouldn't have difficulty.  I would take your meds to a reliable pharmacy here and ask the pharmacist what the equivalent would be.  I live in Northern Belize and travel to Chetumal (Mexico) frequently (about every 6/8wks).  I don't use meds myself but have a friend that buys many for herself and husband.  She swears that Pharmacia Similares in Chetumal (they have several locations) is the best bet.  They do not carry branded names and everything is generic but the prices are extremely reasonable.

Thank you so much. That's eases my mind alot.

Thanks everyone for the additional information.  Sorry I wasn't clear about my expectations of getting "brand name" medicines.  I was thinking generic...... thanks again.