Cheap used cars - whats the catch?

Dear members,

Yesterday I got an job offer from Malta, and I accepted it.

As I will move with my family with two small children, I think I will need a car.

I found some very cheap offers, but I'm suspicious.

As Malta's used car market is unknown for me, I'm wondering these are real, or something is in the background?

http://www.autotradermalta.com/viewcar. … =Home&q=a6http://www.autotradermalta.com/searchre … entlyAddedhttp://www.autotradermalta.com/viewcar. … entlyAdded

Thanks

András

It looks like these are not registered in Malta, so you would need to find out the cost to register each one, then add it to the price.

Terry

I tought the same, but why it is worth to sell them so cheap, why not to sell them in their home country? Strange...

Anyway thanks for the answer.

Andras

Great.

Then finding an cheap car in good condition will not be an easy task, as I am not a big expert of cars..
Thanks,

Andras

Many of these ads are fraud. The cars are not in Malta yet (as you can see on the background of the pictures) and to bring them here you will have to make an advance payment ...

Entity wrote:

Then finding an cheap car in good condition will not be an easy task, as I am not a big expert of cars..

Not from some car dealers ;)
But today for example I saw a Citroen C4 on maltese plates in really good condition and tidy interior at 7000,- ... even in Malta you can find bargains :)

Hi Andras,

welcome to the forum and congratulations to the job offer.

from the pictures shown the cars are not located in Malta! Taxes and possibly other costs are possible.

If you do not know much about cars be cautious and get independent advice. Against Malta used car dealers you won't have much of a chance.

You can try buying a used car from an Expat leaving the island ! Might be a better deal

Cheers
Ricky

Hello Ricky,

I think I will stick with Toyota, I like their cars, they are quite reliable, and as I saw, there are many on the island for sale.

Andras

I checked the classifieds here for cars, but many of them are quite old...

Hi Andras,

the average age of cars in Malta is probably one of the highest in Europe!

You see lots of cars on the roads with a phone number in the window which means they are for sale. You would need someone with knowledge to determine the correct price though and then bargain with the owner.

I bought my used Toyota from the main Toyota dealer but it was a rather new import from Japan. When you see the condition of the roads in Malta you will realize what the mileage driven in Malta means for a car or an Arriva bus , for that matter!

Cheers
Ricky

Sorry. I mean the ads are old, so I think those are not actual...

I don't understand why anyone needs a car on Malta.

Well, with two small children, logistic can be difficult :-)

Entity wrote:

Well, with two small children, logistic can be difficult :-)

I respect that it's a matter of personal choice but I would suggest that though it may be difficult with young children, if one weighs up the costs and the inconvenience of having a car then I would still not have a car.
It's my experience that the Maltese adore children and would help you on the buses and you could hire a car for those special trips you may want to make. Overall, I would still suggest that would be easier and less expensive. Have you seen the congestion and the parking problems? Have you seen how inexpensive the bus service is?Have you seen the standard of driving? Can you park outside your home or do you rent a garage? All things to be considered.
Best wishes,

Thanks for the info.

I will not hurry to buy a car. We will see, how we manage it without a car.

I planned my daily commute by bike / bus and car is only for the family matters. I red in another thread that the traffic is not biker friendly...

Andras

redmik wrote:

A trip from South to North takes 40mins by car and 1.5-2hrs by bus (if you're lucky).
A trip from M'skala to Valletta takes 15-20mins by car and 40-50mins by bus (if you're lucky).
A trip from M'Skala to St. Julians takes about 30mins by car and more than 1 hour by bus (if you're lucky).
A trip from M'skala to Buskett gardens 25mins by car and 1hour 20mins by bus (if you're lucky).
The drive to Lidl, Pavi, Lasco etc. on the weekend takes 10-20mins by car and you can comfortably put the shopping bags in the trunk ... with the bus it takes again the double time and you have to carry the bags, but at least you will not starve while waiting on the bus ;)
If you buy bulky goods (gas oven, furniture, wooden panels, big flower pots etc.) you often get a delivery for free - sounds nice, but this means you have to stay at home for the next 2 days since no one can tell you exactly when the delivery man will appear.

Some times ago when I had to register every week at ETC/SS in Zabbar, which is only 2 kms away, I rode my scooter or even went by foot since the trip (incl. waiting) by bus took 30-40mins ... and you never know when the bus will be late or fails (without any substitute).

btw, "If you're lucky" means you know and the busdrivers adhere the schedules, otherwise you can spend again 20,30,40mins waiting at the bus stop. And during summer the buses are crowded and it smells somewhat strange :/

no, no, since I'm not living in the "crowded center" or staying only 1 or 2 weeks for holidays I prefer having my car :D

Ok, it's true, you have to wait a lot everywhere in Malta, but I try to avoid that as much as possible. And it makes a differnce if you can wait one hour relaxed inside a pub having 2 or 3 beers or you sit next to a busy street inhalating all the exhaust gases waiting on a bus which you are not even sure that it will come at all.

Even my wife, now, after 5 months "ARRIVA-experience", thinks about buying a car since the distance of only 6-7km to her office sometimes (and it't becoming more and more often) takes her around 40-50mins !!! ... and it's only 10-15mins by car ... what means you can save 1 hour every day !

Everything looks nice and easy ... from a distance :lol:

Markus

matm911 wrote:
redmik wrote:

A trip from South to North takes 40mins by car and 1.5-2hrs by bus (if you're lucky).
A trip from M'skala to Valletta takes 15-20mins by car and 40-50mins by bus (if you're lucky).
A trip from M'Skala to St. Julians takes about 30mins by car and more than 1 hour by bus (if you're lucky).
A trip from M'skala to Buskett gardens 25mins by car and 1hour 20mins by bus (if you're lucky).
The drive to Lidl, Pavi, Lasco etc. on the weekend takes 10-20mins by car and you can comfortably put the shopping bags in the trunk ... with the bus it takes again the double time and you have to carry the bags, but at least you will not starve while waiting on the bus ;)
If you buy bulky goods (gas oven, furniture, wooden panels, big flower pots etc.) you often get a delivery for free - sounds nice, but this means you have to stay at home for the next 2 days since no one can tell you exactly when the delivery man will appear.

Some times ago when I had to register every week at ETC/SS in Zabbar, which is only 2 kms away, I rode my scooter or even went by foot since the trip (incl. waiting) by bus took 30-40mins ... and you never know when the bus will be late or fails (without any substitute).

btw, "If you're lucky" means you know and the busdrivers adhere the schedules, otherwise you can spend again 20,30,40mins waiting at the bus stop. And during summer the buses are crowded and it smells somewhat strange :/

no, no, since I'm not living in the "crowded center" or staying only 1 or 2 weeks for holidays I prefer having my car :D

Ok, it's true, you have to wait a lot everywhere in Malta, but I try to avoid that as much as possible. And it makes a differnce if you can wait one hour relaxed inside a pub having 2 or 3 beers or you sit next to a busy street inhalating all the exhaust gases waiting on a bus which you are not even sure that it will come at all.

Even my wife, now, after 5 months "ARRIVA-experience", thinks about buying a car since the distance of only 6-7km to her office sometimes (and it't becoming more and more often) takes her around 40-50mins !!! ... and it's only 10-15mins by car ... what means you can save 1 hour every day !

Everything looks nice and easy ... from a distance :lol:

Markus

Spot on Markus the bus service is OK if your not in a hurry!
Once Redmik moves here he may change his mind.

Terry

agree totally - a small shopping trip can take you all day literally....

I won't change my mind as I have been on Malta many many times since I worked there over 30 years ago, last time was 2 months ago and we return for 6 weeks in a weeks time. I know the pros and cons. Many a day I travelled from Luqa to Xlendi and back by bus just for a day out. Perhaps it's because I am older and have time to wait around that I have my views.
I am looking forward to not having to drive, except when I will hire a car for any 'special' trips.
One trick to speed things up and get a seat on a bus is to travel back to the point of the bus's original departure and travel back out again, rather than wait at some road side stops.
All that Matt says is true and it's just my opinion I was expressing.

tearnet wrote:

Spot on Markus the bus service is OK if your not in a hurry!

Not only if you are in a hurry, it's simply very irksome that you have to wait every second day 30mins on a bus that have a schedule of 15mins.
Or after enjoying a lovely summer day at the Golden Bay it takes you more than 2hrs to travel the 20kms home.

Once Redmik moves here he may change his mind.

Like everyone who's not just living in Sliema or St. Julians ;)

Where do you think all the cars come from?
Renting a car costs about 20-30,- per day (fuel not included).
Owning a car costs about 2,- per day (considering acquisition cost of a used car and some minor repairs and spare parts/tires).

If you need a transport for every day you will sooner or later buy a car :)

redmik wrote:

All that Matt says is true and it's just my opinion I was expressing.

And I'm really grateful for that.

Thanks for all sharing your toughts!

One of the reasons we are moving out there permanently is for the slower pace of life. That would be undermined if I was always looking for ways to get things done quickly :-)
I've had more than my fair share of rushing around and deadlines.
:)
Should also add that we are fortunate and don't have to work.

Just returned from shopping with car ;) and found another advantage:
Without a car it's not possible remaining the cold chain for frozen food :)

Markus

matm911 wrote:

Just returned from shopping with car ;) and found another advantage:
Without a car it's not possible remaining the cold chain for frozen food :)

Markus

Now there's a thought!
Do any 'supermarkets' do home delivery?

There is a freezer van that comes around in Mellieha.:top:

Terry

a good number do home delivery.... even the smaller shops do too.

as for "cheap used cars in malta"......do they exist - id say NO

redmik wrote:

Do any 'supermarkets' do home delivery?

Yes, even most of them, esp. the bigger ones ... ot this one

But on the paper resp. website it all looks more nice :D
As I mentioned before: You do not know at what time the delivery man comes to you. No problem if someone is at home all the time.

e.g. if you order/buy in the morning and they tell you delivery will be right on the same day at 3pm, it's possible the delivery man comes only next day at 11am. Yes, sure, he will call you in advance, means "Hello, I'm coming in 10 minutes" ... and you - because tired of waiting at home - are somewhere on the beach or in the city and it takes you 30mins by public bus to return home ;)

Believe me, sooner or later you will purchse a car - like everybody here :D
A good option would be "car sharing" in Malta (esp. for "remote" residential locations), but this is also a solution for which Malta is imho not ready yet (at least as "owning" a car is quite cheap).

Markus

I won't buy a car but as previously mentioned I may get a quad bike  or a scooter.

One more question:
Is there any extra fees when buying an used car that is already registered in malta?

make sure there are no fines or penalties outstanding on the car and check the log book details rigourously